Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Is Bowes a CHB? I thought he was a mid who was playing HBF
    He wants midfield time after a couple of seasons as more of a HBF type.
    Hawks are essentially trying to buy another top 10 draft pick and Bowes might find a spot on a wing for them.
    They will modify his deal and maybe offer 2M for 4 years to bring that average down.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The 95% cap floor rule means bottom clubs can benefit from salary dump type trades.
    Hawks have to pay someone - their list managers might decide that paying $750k to $800k for a player who might be 'ok' is worth it for the extra pick 7
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Is Bowes a CHB? I thought he was a mid who was playing HBF
    Yes - I guess he sort of is - and why if he is a mid is he playing half-back?

I don't understand how a player who is on a huge contract and battling to get a game for GC is worth so much. Yep - I get the part about pick 7 but now you have a player on huge $ playing VFL. How is this team building?

I don't get it. GC can't see how he fits into their midfield. How do Hawthorn see him in fitting in?

The $ alone make this a bad, bad, bad idea. Let GC pay for their own mistakes and instead recruit the players on their list who are ACTUALLY GOOD and they are trying to move salary out in order to keep...

This makes zero sense to me.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I don't understand how a player who is on a huge contract and battling to get a game for GC is worth so much. Yep - I get the part about pick 7 but now you have a player on huge $ playing VFL. How is this team building?

I don't get it. GC can't see how he fits into their midfield. How do Hawthorn see him in fitting in?

The $ alone make this a bad, bad, bad idea. Let GC pay for their own mistakes and instead recruit the players on their list who are ACTUALLY GOOD and they are trying to move salary out in order to keep...

It's an expensive pick 7 if he's a dud that's for sure.

I totally agree with your take, just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless you think he can play.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bowes would have played more last season as a defender if he wasn't injured but for someone with midfield ambitions the GC midfield is stacked so much so that Fiorini was squeezed out for much of the season. Prior to this year he;s been a regular player.
    Swallow had one of his better seasons for a while, Anderson was huge, Rowell down but still a preferred player, Miller one of the outstanding midfielders in the competition and then there are the likes of Ellis, Atkins, Sharp and Hollands around the mark.
    When I compare the Suns midfield to that of the Hawks where Mitchell is being squeezed out I could see opportunities if I was Bowes.

He may not make that decision to move to the Hawks but having two early picks will open up some opportunities for the Hawks especially if they rate Bowes as a player.

7. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasnt suggesting it was a good idea, just thought he was really more an option in the backline but one who might be hoping hes good enough to break into the midfield

Im not sure how acquiring him makes good sense either. Its clearly about buying the pick for most teams, but the $ make it deeply problematic, and creates all sorts of pressure to play him, and make it work, regardless of whether he's good, or in form etc

Really, Essendon or Hawthorn are perfect landing spots given their off season work so far!

Post Thanks / Like

With the 95% cap rule you have to pay someone. Take on a bad contract when your team is rebuilding and bring in extra picks. Its a win for the hawks. Better than bringing in someone like Rawlings like we used to do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's great reading all the trade news about 17 clubs actively trading...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

This one doesn't make a lot of sense to me but this is from Clark and McGowan on the HUN

COULD GIANTS PICKS GET DUNKLEY TO LIONS?

Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney have agreed on a deal that could help the Lions’ pursuit of Western Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley.

News Corp can reveal the Lions were shopping pick 15 to rival clubs and have found a trade partner in the Giants, who will send them No.21 and a future second-round selection in return.

The trade is awaiting AFL approval but is expected to get the green light.

Brisbane now has more flexibility to trade future picks, with league rules preventing clubs from trading a future first and second-round selection unless they bring an extra one in.

The Bulldogs want two first-round picks from the Lions for Dunkley.

Post Thanks / Like

How does that 'help'? That means they have a single first rounder across 2 years???

Seems to do the exact opposite, unless a good player is in the mix.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At what point is Brisbane dealing in bad faith? They haven’t really made any effort at all to put together a decent offer yet.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes hujsh, Testekill, Dry Rot, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How does that 'help'? That means they have a single first rounder across 2 years???

Seems to do the exact opposite, unless a good player is in the mix.
    If it's Brisbane's F1 & GWS F2 (likely early 2nd rounder) we are getting closer to the mark, I think, realistically. Next year's draft is a strong one and we have a lot of players coming out of contract who could be considered vulnerable for an extension. So future picks could be quite valuable for us. Hopefully we can get more from the deal.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    At what point is Brisbane dealing in bad faith? They haven’t really made any effort at all to put together a decent offer yet.
    I'm a genuine believer in getting nothing is there's bad faith. Dunkley can assess his options after the trade period ends and he's not a Brisbane player.

The only was the story can make any sense is if there's a Brisbane player coming to us. And there's a re-calibration of each other's picks required owing to the 'value' of the player coming to us.

They'd have: Picks 21, 34, 35, 46, 73
    We'd have: Picks (11) 30, 39, 69
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    If it's Brisbane's F1 & GWS F2 (likely early 2nd rounder) we are getting closer to the mark, I think, realistically. Next year's draft is a strong one and we have a lot of players coming out of contract who could be considered vulnerable for an extension. So future picks could be quite valuable for us. Hopefully we can get more from the deal.
    I'd be very disappointed with that. I know his value is somewhat subdued not being contracted, but maybe a Future Pick 16 and Future 25 seems way low. Unless there's a player coming to us we want.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very disappointed with that. I know his value is somewhat subdued not being contracted, but maybe a Future Pick 16 and Future 25 seems way low. Unless there's a player coming to us we want.
    Yeah Im with you BT, they just feel like more speculative swings at the draft than a player of Dunkleys calibre should draw in return