Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    You know what's batshit crazy? That the AFL has rules on what a club can and cannot trade.
    I think this rule has come from the NBA. The rule is referred to as the 'Stepien Rule' (or something like that) - named after the guy who went rogue trading picks to try and get assets 'NOW'. Of course, it went pear shaped and the club had already traded away it's future.

To me rules like this are good - I understand why Port would have asked for an exemption (they are after all trying to use the pick in question to bring in young talent so they have a case) however I think the AFL have done the right thing here by stepping in and saying 'No - that's a violation' and holding them to the rules.

I'm not a huge fan of future trading - I think it is OK in a limited way - but in situations like Port's right now, their current footy team would be VERY motivated to sell tomorrow for today (Hinkley contract time and if he goes, I'm sure the rest of the footy dept will be wiped out along with him) and their members should be protected from the current admin selling away the future of the club. I know I (for one) am not keen in trading away first or second round picks EVER...it simply never seems to end well. I mean, imagine if we had just sat there and drafted Zac Merrett instead of trading for Stu Cramerie...how would our revolving door of outside mids (R. Smith, Hayes, Scott, etc) look if the centre line had instead just read 'Merrett - Macrae - Hunter' these last 6 or so years. 'Cos that 100% could have happened!

I suspect a rule that prevented our club trading away Quinlan in 78, Dempsey in 1979 or KT in 1983 would have been appreciated by the supporters at the time....though to be fair I *think* the KT trade was initiated by the player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just looked the rule up and found this article about how NBA teams get around the rule. It's actually pretty interesting and means that Port COULD get more creative here:

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom....-stepien-rule/
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Port also could, you know, trade out one of it's (rumoured) homesick players for the required picks.
    Bergmann would hold some serious currency.
    Riley Bonner has been floated but isn't worth a future second... unless they pay his contract as a sweetener?

Clubs seem to want to bring players in but not lose anything except picks (Port with Riloi, JHF & Ratagolea, Brisbane with Ashcroft, Fletcher & Dunkley). It's vaguely doable sometimes. Brisbane at least traded the lesser Berry to GCS for a 2nd rounder.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think this rule has come from the NBA. The rule is referred to as the 'Stepien Rule' (or something like that) - named after the guy who went rogue trading picks to try and get assets 'NOW'. Of course, it went pear shaped and the club had already traded away it's future.

To me rules like this are good - I understand why Port would have asked for an exemption (they are after all trying to use the pick in question to bring in young talent so they have a case) however I think the AFL have done the right thing here by stepping in and saying 'No - that's a violation' and holding them to the rules.

I'm not a huge fan of future trading - I think it is OK in a limited way - but in situations like Port's right now, their current footy team would be VERY motivated to sell tomorrow for today (Hinkley contract time and if he goes, I'm sure the rest of the footy dept will be wiped out along with him) and their members should be protected from the current admin selling away the future of the club.
    I think there should be an exemption system with AFL approval - Port have taken something like 7 first rounders in the past 4 years so they're not exactly within a top-up cycle (behind only Suns/GWS), and AFL future picks are only tradable 1 year in advance (unlike the NBA).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Port also could, you know, trade out one of it's (rumoured) homesick players for the required picks.
    Riley Bonner has been floated but isn't worth a future second... unless they pay his contract as a sweetener?

Clubs seem to want to bring players in but not lose anything except picks (Port with Riloi, JHF & Ratagolea, Brisbane with Ashcroft, Fletcher & Dunkley). It's vaguely doable sometimes. Brisbane at least traded the lesser Berry to GCS for a 2nd rounder.
    Clubs are in a weird space. They know how hard it is to develop talent, thus believe that letting it go is a massive issue. But also seem to over-value picks in the highly speculative 25-40 range and ask a lot for them.

The whole points shit*!*!*!*!ery seems to have distorted what picks are worth, and whether that's good or bad I don't know.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I suspect a rule that prevented our club trading away Quinlan in 78, Dempsey in 1979 or KT in 1983 would have been appreciated by the supporters at the time....though to be fair I *think* the KT trade was initiated by the player.
    Back then there was a transfer fee, and the club was broke and needed the money. So we traded those players for the cash. Of course the supporters were livid. All three were Brownlow medalists, although Bernie got his at Fitzroy, and tied with another Bulldog we let go in Barry Round to Swans.

You are right about KT, he wanted out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Back then there was a transfer fee, and the club was broke and needed the money. So we traded those players for the cash. Of course the supporters were livid. All three were Brownlow medalists, although Bernie got his at Fitzroy, and tied with another Bulldog we let go in Barry Round to Swans.

You are right about KT, he wanted out.
    I only recall Quinlan at the Roy Boys, had he shown that level with the Dogs BAD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I only recall Quinlan at the Roy Boys, had he shown that level with the Dogs BAD?
    He was my favourite player as a kid. I thought he was a star player.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Age reporting Weidemann to Essendon
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Is Bergmann said player or someone else?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Age reporting Weidemann to Essendon
    Depending on what they have to give up that could be a good deal for Essendon.

16. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Depending on what they have to give up that could be a good deal for Essendon.
    He’s a solid player Weidemann, agree. Not sure they’ll get the 2mp levels but he’s not bad.

I thought we might be into him as a defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is Bergmann said player or someone else?
    There have been rumours about him wanting to come back to Vic, and I suspect his range would be late first rounder if not better.
    The kid can play. Likely to end up as a marking wingman, long kick.

Post Thanks / Like

From the HUN

Melbourne was linked to Western Bulldogs wingman Lachie Hunter on Monday, but has played down that connection to a player contracted through to 2024.

The Bulldogs are waiting for Brisbane to find a superior pick to their current No.21 to hand to Luke Beveridge’s side, along with a future first-rounder, for Josh Dunkley.

Similarly, they need to do the Dunkley deal with enough time to offer up an attractive proposition for Fremantle’s Rory Lobb.

The Dogs are prepared to offer more than their current No.29 selection for Lobb, who, contrary to reports, does not have a front-ended deal which would have seen him paid most of his wage across an entire contract.

He is due $650,000 and a marketing allowance in 2023, with his desire to get to Melbourne not based on finances but on family reasons, with his partner already in their new South Melbourne home.

20. Thanks bulldogtragic, hujsh, josie, azabob, Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how likely it is we get that pick better than 21? Wouldn't take much to upgrade it into the first round and then boom lets just straight trade it and future first (swap 39 and a 40s pick if you really have to)