Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 51 of 131 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

From SEN

There remains a “watch this space” on the future of Luke Breust at Hawthorn, according to AFL Media’s Callum Twomey.

The Hawks veteran has been in fine form this year, kicking 40 goals from 20 games so far with one round remaining.

While he remains contracted for next season, Twomey reports that he could be “open to the opportunities” that could come his way during the trade period.

Breust
    almost landed up at GWS in the dying stages of last year’s exchange window, before deciding to commit to Hawthorn for another season,

“There’s a real watch this space on the Hawks star,” Twomey told AFL Media.

“Last year he knocked back interest from the Giants in a deadline day decision.

“He is contract for next year, but rivals are aware he is keen to extend his AFL career beyond 2023. That could mean there are clubs who are willing to look at him during this trade period.

“I think he’d be open to the opportunities that be put to him over this year trade period. This is a really interesting watch on Breust and Hawthorn’s side of things.

“I think other clubs will come knocking this time around.”

The triple premiership Hawk is only 41 games away from notching up 300 games at AFL level, having become a fan-favourite at the club since arriving at the club through the rookie draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Gunston would’ve been the ideal replacement for Bruce this year.

I hope we are one of the 4-5 clubs into Logue.
    Gunston is a gun but he played 1 game in 2021 (had back surgery I believe) and has predictably missed games this year.

He was gettable but would have been a fairly large risk and we had little we could have given to the hawks in a trade after matching Darcy. He's also a completely different player to Bruce.

As has been pointed out someone like Casboult would have been a decent, cheap Bruce replacement this year. I can't fault the club for not chasing Gunston last off season.

4. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Gunston is a gun but he played 1 game in 2021 (had back surgery I believe) and has predictably missed games this year.

He was gettable but would have been a fairly large risk and we had little we could have given to the hawks in a trade after matching Darcy. He's also a completely different player to Bruce.

As has been pointed out someone like Casboult would have been a decent, cheap Bruce replacement this year. I can't fault the club for not chasing Gunston last off season.
    Yep, it would’ve been a risk but what I like about Gunston is that he’s a GENUINE forward, and normally a brilliant kick for goal.

Knowing Bevo, he would’ve just used Casboult in a “Sweet” type of game…bench..ruck..bench.
    I can’t imagine Casboult playing in the same fwd line as Naughton.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Before BAD gets you it's Fischer and I'm going to go out on a limb and say his parents named him that.

Apparently it is a very common German surname meaning fisherman.
    Makes sense
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're bringing in Lobb and Jones, I'm not sure adding Bruest is the best idea for our age profile
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to ever argue against bringing in players of the quality of Breust and Gunston. Breust in particular has been excellent this year, and Gunston has been solid since getting his back right.

I agree if we are already targeting two 30ish players, it would probably be poor list management to bring in another rather than using a draft pick and balancing the list...but then you look at Geelong who have regularly played with 8+ 30 year olds and are flag favourites. When you look at the competition for the role, I think I would pick a 31yo Breust/Gunston over Mcneill/Garcia/VDM/our other small attackers.

9. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see if Geelong can see it through and make a GF at full length games on the bigger decks.

In 2020 they definitely benefitted from the shorter quarters, every other year they have just run out of that little bit of puff against the good sides when the whips have been cracking.

Their strategy is a great home and away strategy, and with a bit of persistence and tinkering they seem to be on the verge of making it more sustainable. We'll see how it goes in a month's time I guess.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Geelong can see it through and make a GF at full length games on the bigger decks.

In 2020 they definitely benefitted from the shorter quarters, every other year they have just run out of that little bit of puff against the good sides when the whips have been cracking.

Their strategy is a great home and away strategy, and with a bit of persistence and tinkering they seem to be on the verge of making it more sustainable. We'll see how it goes in a month's time I guess.
    It's a very good observation and I think the fact that Geelong have been able to rest a number of players in recent weeks a sign that they are trying to freshen up some of their players before the bye and then the finals rigors

The hamstring injury to Cameron might be an issue for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Hard to ever argue against bringing in players of the quality of Breust and Gunston. Breust in particular has been excellent this year, and Gunston has been solid since getting his back right.
    I'll argue. They're old. And if they were "that good", Hawthorn wouldn't have been in purgatory for the past 6 seasons.

Breust is having a bounce back year - last 2-years has been replacement level - and I suspect this will prove to be a last hoorah rather than a sign he has 5-years to go (though no-one would dispute he's had an amazing career).
    Gunston has hardly played for 2 seasons...why would anyone take him on? Plus - if we have Naughton, JUH, Bruce AND LOBB - not to mention English, Jones and Darcy - where exactly is he going to play?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I agree if we are already targeting two 30ish players, it would probably be poor list management to bring in another rather than using a draft pick and balancing the list...but then you look at Geelong who have regularly played with 8+ 30 year olds and are flag favourites. When you look at the competition for the role, I think I would pick a 31yo Breust/Gunston over Mcneill/Garcia/VDM/our other small attackers.
    I'm not even sold on Jones, let alone bringing in two more 30+ guys including Gunston who is a week to week proposition.
    I don't even know why he's linked to Brisbane, as rumours suggest. Daniher + Hipwood + a resting ruck + Raynor and they want to get taller?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'll argue. They're old. And if they were "that good", Hawthorn wouldn't have been in purgatory for the past 6 seasons.

Breust is having a bounce back year - last 2-years has been replacement level - and I suspect this will prove to be a last hoorah rather than a sign he has 5-years to go (though no-one would dispute he's had an amazing career).
    Gunston has hardly played for 2 seasons...why would anyone take him on? Plus - if we have Naughton, JUH, Bruce AND LOBB - not to mention English, Jones and Darcy - where exactly is he going to play?
    Breust has continued to kick goals despite the trials of the rest of the team - I don't think team success can be held against a medium forward. Last year he kicked 33 from 19 games, this year 40 from 20. He's only kicked under 30 goals once in his career, and it was an injury affected year. He played in a forward line of Buddy, Roughead, Gunston and Hale/ruck and was effective. He is one of the most accurate shots for goal in history.

I'm definitely more interested in him than Gunston. He doesn't improve our chances of a flag in 2026, but I think he would improve our chances of a flag in 2023.

16. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Cal Twomey

https://www.afl.com.au/news/823965/c...eye-crows-tall also on SEN

summarised,

Brad Hill open to a move

Lewis Mellican - Swans key defender, open to a move

Billy Frampton - Collingwood keen

Breust & Gunston - could be on the move

Will Gould - not much interest

Miles Bergman - can't see him moving

Tarranto - Richmond leading the chase

Hopper - Geelong likely
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Their ability to get on the ground enough isn't what we require. Do you think the Lobb trade will happen?

Post Thanks / Like

The upcoming trade period promises to be fairly busy and there are already plenty of names being thrown around.

AFL Media’s Cal Twomey touched on some of the names to be linked with movement this year and provide the latest on each.

See what Twomey had to say on a number of players on SEN Breakfast.

Lewis Melican (Sydney)

Lewis Melican has been off the radar a little bit since the McCartin brothers have held down the key defensive post.

“He was a key part of their side in previous years, but hasn’t played this year.

“He’s signed until the end of next year. He’s only 26 and shapes as a potential key defensive option for clubs.

“He’s open to a trade and clubs are aware of that. Key defenders are worth their weight in gold and clubs are really searching for them.”

Harry Cunningham (Sydney)

“The Swans are also going about re-signing Harry Cunningham on a new deal too.

“He’s a free agent, but he’s set to stay.”

Will Gould (Sydney)

“He came to the Swans as a maturely built player. He’s a great kick, played in a SANFL premiership on his way through to the Swans.

“He was drafted at pick 26 a couple of years ago. I’m not sure if there will be interest in him or not.

“I think the likelihood is that he stays at the Swans.”

Luke Breust (Hawthorn)

“It is annual (the interest), but I think clubs again will look at him.

“His name does come up a lot at trade time. I think clubs are looking at him and knowing that there’s a chance to be able to get him.

“He’s had a super season, he’s kicked 40 goals and is the Hawks’ leading goalkicker.

“For me, he’s the type of player who could play several more years. He’s signed for the Hawks next year but he wants to play on beyond next year. He’s got another flag in his sights.

“He knocked back a move to GWS last year on the final day of the trade period. Clubs are aware he could look at his opportunities in the upcoming off-season.”

Jack Gunston (Hawthorn)

“He’s out of contract, a free agent.

“If he was to move, he’s able to just pick up and go.

“The Lions have been linked to him as well. They have a bit going on, they’ve been linked to Josh Dunkley as well.”

Billy Frampton (Adelaide) and Collingwood

“Riley Beveridge is reporting that Collingwood has its sights on Adelaide big man Billy Frampton.

“That’s an interesting one as well. He’s been used as a ruck, forward and back.

“It does add some further intrigue behind the plan of Brodie Grundy, doesn’t it.

“They are going to be very active, the Pies. They’ve got Dan McStay coming in, Bobby Hill likely coming in, interest in Tim Taranto and now Billy Frampton as well.”

Cam Zurhaar (North Melbourne)

“That’s exactly where it sits at the moment, wait for the coach and see where that plays out.

“He’s got an offer there from North Melbourne, there’s interest from Essendon, there’s interest from a number of clubs in Victoria in particular.

“I don’t think he’s necessarily got a pull to go to back to Western Australia as some other Western Australians have had and do have. That could still be a possibility, particularly with West Coast.

“I think that’s one we’ll see some conclusion to once we know who is coaching North Melbourne. They’re obviously really keen to keep him.”

Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper (GWS)

“I think the Tigers have edged ahead (of Collingwood) for Taranto.

“They have had interest in Jacob Hopper, but if you’re putting a market on it that Geelong would be favourites for Hopper and that would leave the Tigers to go a bit more all-in on Taranto.

“I do think the Pies have had interest in him for a fair while now. A lot might depend on salary cap space and what happens with Jordan De Goey.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post

Knowing Bevo, he would’ve just used Casboult in a “Sweet” type of game…bench..ruck..bench.
    I can’t imagine Casboult playing in the same fwd line as Naughton.
    I think you're underselling Bevo's intelligence... and quite possibly over-stating Sweet's forward craft which is pretty much non-existent.

21. Likes azabob, hujsh liked this post