Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 60 of 131 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    True but Dangerfield is on big dollars, Cameron is on big dollars. They're always a big player in the FA market and don't seem to lose anyone either. Other teams are bursting at the seams trying to keep players while they absorb them.
    I believe Dangerfield went to Geelong for lifestyle and took significantly less than he may have commanded elsewhere.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    SEN think Geelong are trying an audacious bid to land both Hopper from GWS and Grundy from Collingwood.
    I know they have a deserved reputation as draft dodgers but it they land those two it sets them up as contenders again.

Other clubs might start having a look at their top up approach.
    Let's not forget their bookends were drafted (Hawkins, de Koning and Stewart) and they plucked Blicavs out of nowhere who is possibly the most versatile player in the comp.

Topping up doesn't work unless you draft well - see St Kilda.

I'm nto sure about Grundy but I do think they get Hopper. If they pick up a value ruckman (Strachan) they'll still be a very good team in 2023.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes azabob, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I believe Dangerfield went to Geelong for lifestyle and took significantly less than he may have commanded elsewhere.
    The Western District boys "always come home" (local adage). The Surf coast has a strong lure too - Dahl and Higgins were Surf Coast/Geelong kids.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The Western District boys "always come home" (local adage). The Surf coast has a strong lure too - Dahl and Higgins were Surf Coast/Geelong kids.
    They will most likely be gone - so more dollars to play with.

Plus there is rumour the salary cap will increase next year by about $650k
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are moving back to Vic from interstate the choice between living in Melbourne or the surf coast is a pretty easy one. Better lifestyle and cheaper houses.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's really interesting, thanks for explaining. I knew that there was a problem with projecting the image of a dead person in indigenous cultures and that why they have warnings on TV shows of they are going to show a disceased person or will explain that they have the families' permission (as in the case of Archie Roach last week) but I had no idea about the name thing. Although now that you explain it then it makes a lot of sense.
    For some further clarity it's not all indigenous cultures that keep this practice. For example there was no problem with naming Maggie Varcoe after her death, or showing photos of her, which is why they didn't shy away form it.

I only found that out recently - I'd assumed incorrectly it was all indigenous cultures that had the same prohibition.

8. Thanks hujsh, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    For some further clarity it's not all indigenous cultures that keep this practice. For example there was no problem with naming Maggie Varcoe after her death, or showing photos of her, which is why they didn't shy away form it.

I only found that out recently - I'd assumed incorrectly it was all indigenous cultures that had the same prohibition.
    Yeah I had always just assumed that too. Oh well you know what they say about assumptions.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Tom Browne, Tarranto is deciding between Richmond and Collingwood
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    If you are moving back to Vic from interstate the choice between living in Melbourne or the surf coast is a pretty easy one. Better lifestyle and cheaper houses.
    100% Geelong must be so good at just hitting all their selling points that every player meeting is virtually a foregone conclusion.

-The only club that offers a location that allows you to easily live near the surf/rural property
    -Generally cheaper real estate anyway so more bang for your buck
    -Whole city full of employers desperate to get some current or ex Geelong player on their books
    -Whole city that is gonna be interested in you and think you're cool
    -Succesful team with a constantly strong list and clearly well run off field

I mean there's a lot of benefits there that outweigh the difference between a $450k contract and a $550 one.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes chef, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If we assume Collingwood are paying 300K a season for Treloar and do something similar with Grundy the must have a number of players who they are paying unders for to still be linked to Taranto, McStay and Hill.

Collingwood are a great example of how fortunes can swing quickly in the AFL. You can be mismanaged for a couple of season and yet still turn things around quickly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

No surprise.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

So we'll assume that he is definitely not going to either of those clubs.

17. Likes azabob, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    So we'll assume that he is definitely not going to either of those clubs.
    Unfortunately in this instance I think Brown has ripped this off other jurno's whose track record is pretty good. Mitch Cleary I think has been running with this for a while .
    More of an In Bruges guy?

19. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a Treloar sliding doors moment
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Amon has chosen the Hawks
    The curse is dead.

22. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post