Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 92 of 131 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1962
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Is he a flog or was he just a patsy in the whole Bontempelli sham?

He's a great player - with no basis for my opinion my gut feel is Lobb is a bigger knob than Haynes, and if we're comfortable with getting Lobb...
    I can’t imagine him putting his hand up and saying ‘yeah, let me toss the coin and show Bont who’s boss’. That was entirely on your mate Leon.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Haynes could actually be the kind of interceptor we need. Pity he's a flog and that salary is about twice his worth.
    No way at that salary
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a great player - with no basis for my opinion my gut feel is Lobb is a bigger knob than Haynes, and if we're comfortable with getting Lobb...
    Carried on about an accidental collision injury. It's footy, these things happen. Lobb looks like a flog but really I've not seen him actually do anything flogish.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can’t imagine him putting his hand up and saying ‘yeah, let me toss the coin and show Bont who’s boss’. That was entirely on your mate Leon.
    He's a big boy, could have said no that's a stupid idea Leon.

Post Thanks / Like

Carried on about an accidental collision injury. It's footy, these things happen. Lobb looks like a flog but really I've not seen him actually do anything flogish.

He's a big boy, could have said no that's a stupid idea Leon.
    Leon recently admitted it was the wrong thing to do, ie to send Haynes out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No way at that salary
    Other reports put it at $800k. The problem is he still has 2 years left and will be 32 by the time it ends, so extending on less $$$ per season isn't really an option. If GWS want to pay a portion maybe we can talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Haynes is exactly what we need depending on the cost going the other way?

The million is obviously back-ended and therefore inflated but if we add on a second season to spread the salary it is manageable.

With the emergence of Himmelberg, Haynes lost his role and they tried to convert him into a winger with limited success. He is an elite 3rd tall with genuine intercepting ability, something we've desperately missed.

Where do I sign?

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Other reports put it at $800k. The problem is he still has 2 years left and will be 32 by the time it ends, so extending on less $$$ per season isn't really an option. If GWS want to pay a portion maybe we can talk.
    Has Geelong's success forced clubs to rethink the imaginary 30 mark of players becoming expired?

We appear to have offered Jones and Lobb 3 year deals which takes them into a dangerous territory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    $1M is a lot but damn, he’s the exact type we need. I’d be exploring that one further.
    A million is crazy. If we could get them to pay some, I'd do it. Why are players back dating contracts, I think this needs to be outlawed.

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he's a flog, I think it was just some contrived conflict to try and get the competitive juices flowing.

To be fair, having your larynx damaged would be pretty nasty. But as we all know Marcus wouldn't have done this with intent to injure.

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    A million is crazy. If we could get them to pay some, I'd do it. Why are players back dating contracts, I think this needs to be outlawed.
    Not sure what you mean here? Clubs usually drive front or back loading contracts to help with their salary cap.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah. It’s all good. Contracts are structured to work in with the clubs cap. Some are front loaded, back ended or averaged. It’s not an issue, as it’s usually club instigated. If a club mismanages their cap, and has to let good players/picks go, then that’s on them. The clubs are the ones getting hurt.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I said it before but if Bont can forgive Hayes for being such a pussy then I’d be happy to have him. MJP mentioned that Hayes can be a bit of a ball stopper but if he creates intercepts it should give our ball users easy opportunities to slingshot that they were pretty much wholly starved of last year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Nah. It’s all good. Contracts are structured to work in with the clubs cap. Some are front loaded, back ended or averaged. It’s not an issue, as it’s usually club instigated. If a club mismanages their cap, and has to let good players/picks go, then that’s on them. The clubs are the ones getting hurt.
    It can screw the players too, eg Treloar. That was a pretty sad affair.

Post Thanks / Like

It can screw the players too, eg Treloar. That was a pretty sad affair.
    Not really, he’s still getting paid the full contract. He could’ve stayed if Collingwood weren’t arseholes to him. That’s on Collingwood and their treatment of him and mismanagement of their cap.

You need flexibility in the cap to manage the minimum and maximum levels of cap needed under the rules. Often if a club is under, they will pay players early (with their consent) and then bank the cap for/in future years. Competent managers like Power would be doing it all the time, but the media don’t report ‘rich footballers got richer, sooner’ stories. Incompetent list managers will put thing off ‘until tomorrow’ and when ‘tomorrow’ comes they’re forced to deal with it. Which is good for clubs like ours. Good players get moved on cheaper from trade value and comes with money outside our cap for the player.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Haynes play some form related VFL this year, or did I imagine that?