Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 93 of 131 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1962
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Did Haynes play some form related VFL this year, or did I imagine that?
    He had a lot of things go against him this season. He had some unknown stomach issues which affected his preseason and forced him to miss Round 1.

He later hurt his ankle and Himmelberg's emergence also affected his role within the team. He was an All-Australian in 2020 and was considered the prototype intercepting defender for a period of time.

I guess it's up to the club to do their due diligence and investigate whether they believe he can get back to that level. If so, he definitely represents the type of player we could benefit from. If we're looking at Tomlinson than I'd be hoping we're also looking at Haynes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Haynes is exactly what we need depending on the cost going the other way?
    I don't understand this.

Haynes is the ultimate ball stopper - he kicks it 20m sideways every time he gets the footy.

YES - he is an intercept marker...but so is Richards. Why is he better than Richards who will run with the footy/take the game on?

I'm genuinely curious what you see in his game that would fit our footy side?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Richards and what he brings to our side. For mine, they're not competing directly with each other.

Personally, I feel like we're missing a third quality tall that can play either tall or short depending on opposition. As I stated, Haynes is the type of player we need in the sense that he can both beat his opponent and win the ball back ala a younger Easton Wood or even Dale Morris.

Specifically, I think of someone like Fristch who is a difficult match up and hurt us in 2021 Grand Final. I'm not sure if Hayes is the same player he once was but I think we need a player in our side of that mould.

Internally, we have options that may be better but the jury is out. Khamis has a lot of appealing qualities to fulfil this role but he needs to improve some defensive aspects of his game. Additionally, with Jones and Keath holding the talls, I wonder if Gardner and his new found confidence could become that player? I like what he did this year but I know there would be plenty who would argue otherwise.

As I stated, if we were looking at Tomlinson than I think it's worth doing due diligence on Haynes.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't understand this.

Haynes is the ultimate ball stopper - he kicks it 20m sideways every time he gets the footy.

YES - he is an intercept marker...but so is Richards. Why is he better than Richards who will run with the footy/take the game on?

He replaces another ball stopper in Cordy, expect Haynes can actually mark the ball and we’re immediately better for it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand this.

You saw Ed Richards in our final, right?
    "It's over. It's all over."

8. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You saw Ed Richards in our final, right?
    I also saw him for the majority of the season as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I also saw him for the majority of the season as well.
    I'm sorry G a good season and totally crumbling in the one that really matters are two separate things.

FWIW I like Richards, and I'd like to think it was a one off, but I think Haynes has the better resume down the stretch at this stage.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry G a good season and totally crumbling in the one that really matters are two separate things.

FWIW I like Richards, and I'd like to think it was a one off, but I think Haynes has the better resume down the stretch at this stage.
    I get that but Richards had a very good season despite his poor final and I don't think we should use it to pump up the tyers of Haynes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This.

I like Richards but his final was understated in how incredibly poor it was. It's one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a 'good' player. Others didn't get involved (VDM) but Richards did and turned it over/got caught/made poor decisions almost every time.

Haynes is clearly a better player (body willing). Hopefully Richards can be better next time in a final.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Brenton Sanderson is saying what a good player Bowes is, it's also speculated that his salary next season is close to 850K.
    No wonder they are looking to dump that amount of money.
    Clubs and players both do this. When a low year payment is due for the player or vice versa for the club both are keen for a trade.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand this.

I am with MJP on this one. We don't need Haynes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This idea of a Haynes type interceptor was what I was trying to convey, whether it is Haynes or someone else.

Bornadog who do you think is best suited to play this intercepting role for us? Is it Richards or someone else? Is it someone we need to bring into the club?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    This idea of a Haynes type interceptor was what I was trying to convey, whether it is Haynes or someone else.

Bornadog who do you think is best suited to play this intercepting role for us? Is it Richards or someone else? Is it someone we need to bring into the club?
    Richards for now, but also we recruited TOB for this role and he didn't have a good season mainly due to injuries. If he can get a good preseason in, and injury free, then he may be able to take on the role. Also, too many times we used him as a KPP which he is not, due to lack of having anyone.

Another player that has been impressive is Buku; just needs some experience and I am confident he could play that role.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, Lachie Hunter and De Goey both touring the Hangar tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are talking Haynes 2016 then yep, sure.

He's rising 30 now. I just don't get this.

I understand the 'Haynes-type' comment but those players...they are hard to find. We had one (Wood) for MAYBE two seasons (2015 and 2016)...but he couldn't ever re-produce 'THAT' footy again. Was it Wood? Or was it the change to the more zoning style defensive structure that we have played since the exits of Morris, Hamling, Fletcher et al...players who simply HAD to play 1v1 as zoning space etc simply wasn't 'them' (in their skillset). You could argue it also isn't in the skillset of Gardner and Williams but they have made a reasonable fist of it at times...Gardner does seem 'best' when given a role against an opponent.

I just think chasing an interceptor is chasing something that will only 'work' if our defensive system changes. Keath came to us as an intercepting player...and really has done none of that in the rwb.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

24. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Swoop, Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post