Thanks Thanks:  154
Likes Likes:  1,003
Page 97 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1962
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours for 2022

I think you need a few cheap as chips players on your list so you can balance paying for the top dogs. They don’t need to be “best 22” but capable to step in to afl standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I think you need a few cheap as chips players on your list so you can balance paying for the top dogs. They don’t need to be “best 22” but capable to step in to afl standard.
    Yes - and draftees get a mandated minimum 2 year salary so turning over a list actually helps with this.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The likes of McComb, McNeil, Scott, Parker and Hayes/Cav before that haven't quite worked like we would have hoped for.
    I can't agree that Scott hasn't worked out. He has had some terrific games this year and before he was injured was ranked 5th in the AFL for connecting between the backline and the forward line, resulting in a goal. The dirty act where he ended up with concussion and lead to him missing several games and missing finals was a blow to him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can't agree that Scott hasn't worked out. He has had some terrific games this year and before he was injured was ranked 5th in the AFL for connecting between the backline and the forward line, resulting in a goal. The dirty act where he ended up with concussion and lead to him missing several games and missing finals was a blow to him.
    Yeah, Scott has been fine.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Scott has worked very well but we have have tried a number of state league players with limited success.
    You normally get a bit of a bounce with state league players that have some experience and can do a bit more than a drafted youngster but unless they improve they still look limited.
    Outside of Scott how many of those boys I listed have improved in the 2nd and 3rd years? They're still basically the same player we brought in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Scott has worked very well but we have have tried a number of state league players with limited success.
    I am only talking Scott from your list and yes you are right not many have worked out
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So De Goey has an offer from Collingwood with clauses on his behavior that he isn't happy with and he has two other clubs in Essendon and St Kilda are interested in him without the clauses. I suspect he will accept one of their offers and Collingwood will match it so in the end he will get the contract he wants from the club he wants to play for.

Post Thanks / Like

So De Goey has an offer from Collingwood with clauses on his behavior that he isn't happy with and he has two other clubs in Essendon and St Kilda are interested in him without the clauses. I suspect he will accept one of their offers and Collingwood will match it so in the end he will get the contract he wants from the club he wants to play for.
    Suddenly all the dwarves in the state felt a strange disturbance in the force.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Far be it from me to defend De Goey but that contractual clause from Collingwood was a massive overreach.

He’s probably taken a look at how they’ve treated Treloar and Grundy in past seasons and rightfully wondered how far reaching “we can sack you for any time for any reason” really is. I get the need for the Pies wanting some surety but there has to be some more sophisticated limiting language they can use.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Far be it from me to defend De Goey but that contractual clause from Collingwood was a massive overreach.

He’s probably taken a look at how they’ve treated Treloar and Grundy in past seasons and rightfully wondered how far reaching “we can sack you for any time for any reason” really is. I get the need for the Pies wanting some surety but there has to be some more sophisticated limiting language they can use.
    He's staying.

I think the clause makes sense we have no idea what else he's been up to.

Maybe they tempered it but they probably got exactly what they were after.

Post Thanks / Like

So the deal for De Goey has now been signed and the behavior clauses have apparently been reduced to just 2 of the 5 year deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Aren’t there “bit player” guys though who thrive at a new club because previously, they didn’t get the right opportunities, or took longer to blossom, connected better with a different coach, the penny drops for some reason….our premiership team had more than one of that type.
    Who are you thinking?

Hamling? Hadn't been given an opportunity.
    Biggs? Had BARELY been given an opportunity and we took him off the Swans rookie list.
    Boyd? LOL.

It's so long ago I actually can't remember anyone else.

People keep pointing at Duryea as an example but:
    - He wasn't exactly a 'part-time' player...he played EVERY WEEK for 6 or 7 seasons.
    - He was recruited to play a specific role.

This is why I get so agitated with things like the O'Brien / Sam Lloyd etc recruitment decisions. They aren't playing regular footy at their club...they WONT play regular footy at our club. I'll apply the Jack Crisp caveat here and say 'this rule applies to players who HAVEN'T BEEN GIVEN an opportunity' yet...but if you've played 20+ games and can't establish yourself, well...that's probably who you are/what your career is going to be. That's OK...they made it a level (or two) higher than most everyone else ever did but not everyone makes it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Who are you thinking?

Biggs? Had BARELY been given an opportunity and we took him off the Swans rookie list.
    Boyd? LOL.

- He wasn't exactly a 'part-time' player...he played EVERY WEEK for 6 or 7 seasons.

This is why I get so agitated with things like the O'Brien / Sam Lloyd etc recruitment decisions. They aren't playing regular footy at their club...they WONT play regular footy at our club. I'll apply the Jack Crisp caveat here and say 'this rule applies to players who HAVEN'T BEEN GIVEN an opportunity' yet...but if you've played 20+ games and can't establish yourself, well...that's probably who you are/what your career is going to be. That's OK...they made it a level (or two) higher than most everyone else ever did but not everyone makes it.
    So...I think it'll come up sooner or later so... what about Lipinski?

17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who are you thinking?

Boyd? LOL.

At the risk of derailing your point with the same discussion that occurs weekly on WOOF, Lewis Young and Pat Lipinski are counters to your point.

Young had a career best year playing almost every game as an intercepting key back.

Lipinski was put forward for AA by the Pies. He got more CBAs and had more impact on games.

You're not going to get Chris Judd as a delisted FA, but there are definitely guys not getting opportunities because of the quality ahead of them.

I think if Narkle goes to a club where he gets high CBA numbers he will have an impact. He was not going to get CBAs at Geelong ahead of Selwood, Guthrie, Dangerfield, Atkins, Parfitt, just like Lipinski couldn't crack us.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are you thinking?

Boyd? LOL.

It seems you’re talking players who’ve played 20+ games for another afl club without establishing themselves. I’m talking about the players who come from even further back without getting a go.

Joel Hamling - on Geelong list for 3 years without being selected once. Shane Biggs. 6 games for Sydney in 2 years, he was 23 when he came to us. Dale Morris and Liam picken were in their early 20yrs old, playing vfl when we picked them up, Tory Dickson was 24 and in the same boat.

We haven’t had the same success over recent years in finding such bargains unfortunately. (I think Duryea played in 2 flags so he obviously wasn’t a “discard”).
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic