Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leon Cameron Stepping Down

Sam Edmund

Leon Cameron has called time as GWS Giants coach.

The playing group has been informed this morning. Cameron will coach against Carlton this weekend before Mark McVeigh takes over as caretaker.

This is year number nine at the helm. He took the Giants to a Grand Final in 2019, plus two preliminary finals as well in 2016 and 2017.

He’s had access to a very talented list, he took them right to the pointy end, they just couldn’t quite get over the hump.

This had been handled really well with the way it was put on the public agenda at the start of the season, which was was completely Cameron’s doing. It was his decision to do that. It really did speak of a man who was at peace with his place in the football world.

It was handled with dignity and class and it appears as though the Giants have done the same.

Cameron has helmed the Giants since 2014 and holds an 87-70-3 all-time record.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leon Cameron Stepping Down

You think he would have coached the year out. Last game this weekend v Carlton.

I wonder if we would explore his return as a senior assistant to Bevo?

3. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If we have the soft cap space - yes

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been very good with the Giants

His track record for me stands up pretty well - they haven't started the year that well, and clearly just want a new voice/coach

But I think hes pretty good at what he does - and its showed in Finals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

A massive no thanks.

Has had a list absolutely loaded with talent and the game style implemented is as boring as bat shit and the team have been massive under-achievers.

7. Likes EasternWest, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    A massive no thanks.

Has had a list absolutely loaded with talent and the game style implemented is as boring as bat shit and the team have been massive under-achievers.
    Maybe a little harsh, but I get what you mean.

Counter to that would be somebody like Brendan McCartney - terrible senior coach, highly regarded assistant coach. Perhaps Leon would be better suited to a lesser role, so I wouldn't completely rule it out.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    A massive no thanks.

Not easy to get into a GF let alone win one. Probably faced with challenges ranging from players not wanting to be there for various reasons and trying to build a culture as well. Think he's had to wear a few hats which is always a challenge. I think he's done ok. What do they say about a team of champions never beating a champion team? Still, got to a Grand Final. Has bled players since then and has been running to catch up ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not easy to get into a GF let alone win one. Probably faced with challenges ranging from players not wanting to be there for various reasons and trying to build a culture as well. Think he's had to wear a few hats which is always a challenge. I think he's done ok. What do they say about a team of champions never beating a champion team? Still, got to a Grand Final. Has bled players since then and has been running to catch up ever since.
    How well do Chris Grant and Leon Cameron get on these days? They were Captain and Vice Captain together. Would love for Bevo to have a senior assistant/invent your own title to help with some of the heavy lifting. If the Cap allows.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

11. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    He's been very good with the Giants

His track record for me stands up pretty well - they haven't started the year that well, and clearly just want a new voice/coach

But I think hes pretty good at what he does - and its showed in Finals
    Agreed, the pressure builds on coaches and the talk that he deferred contract talks earlier in the season was an indication he was feeling the pressure.

He will find another home.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I would happily welcome LC back to the Dogs in a Senior Assistant role to Bevo. I think his knowledge of the game and the intricacies of coaching would be a great asset. His communication skills (based solely on the Netflix series that focussed on Coniglio), are well suited to the role.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

If I have any reaction to this, it’s to think that it’s kinda funny, but thought you should all know I just cashed a slab bet on Cameron being the first coach sacked.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The closest they got was 2016, they were never a chance when they made the GF. 2016 was the one that got away and after Cameron led this team of dirty little snipers I'm so glad it was us that caused the road block. Karma is a bitch Leon, maybe coach to win rather than whack if you ever get another chance.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think he’d fit it with Bevo’s style. That’s not attacking or praising either one but Cameron seems a bit more ‘old school’ and Bevo more alternative (only one Bevo but more about feelings etc). You don’t want everyone to be the same but a similar base needed I think. It’s outside looking in and my read could be way off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    The closest they got was 2016, they were never a chance when they made the GF. 2016 was the one that got away and after Cameron led this team of dirty little snipers I'm so glad it was us that caused the road block. Karma is a bitch Leon, maybe coach to win rather than whack if you ever get another chance.
    Making Toby Greene Captain, says it all.

19. Likes josie liked this post