Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  90
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Gold Coast at Mars on Saturday Morning

English doesn’t want to play forward. That is fairly obvious and was made clear through his management team.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Gold Coast at Mars on Saturday Morning

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    English doesn’t want to play forward. That is fairly obvious and was made clear through his management team.
    Yes I think that's the issue. Tail wagging the dog?

He doesn't seem like an unreasonable type so I'm sure if Bevo went that way then he wouldn't spit the dummy (Dunks plays a lot forward now for eg).
    Guess a good problem to have.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that, but we don’t have the list to accomodate this request and still be a premiership contender.

You could make an argument that it’s worth giving in to his demand this year to keep him happy so he signs, but we then must pay whatever price it takes to get in a suitable second ruck/forward option over the trade period. Write 2022 off for a tilt over the next 2 years.

It’s what we should have done last year but didn’t and the structure is clearly broken because of it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I understand that, but we don’t have the list to accomodate this request and still be a premiership contender.

You could make an argument that it’s worth giving in to his demand this year to keep him happy so he signs, but we then must pay whatever price it takes to get in a suitable second ruck/forward option over the trade period. Write 2022 off for a tilt over the next 2 years.

It’s what we should have done last year but didn’t and the structure is clearly broken because of it.
    I'd like to see more of Sweet at the level first. I mean he was against literally no one last night. I don't even know the guys name.
    Witts will be a better indicator considering by all reports he wasn't really faring all that well in the VFL. (hey that rhymes!).

Post Thanks / Like

If English is in, Sweet is out. But sounds like English is another week off at least so… not a problem for now.

My thoughts are McComb and McNeil on the edges. If Jones or Bedendo have good games today would be tempting to bring one in.

Cleary holds his spot, and Weat moved ahead of McComb on last nights showing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How would you fit both he and English in the side Danjul?

I thought he was pretty good last night too has a bit of a presence outside his game play.

I think we need to persist with English in the ruck so the question is can Sweet play the forward / ruck role?
    I see Sweet as as second ruck being a significant improvement on Cordy, who’s basically just going through the motions with little real impact on the game. When Sweet is in the ruck those around him display confidence and things happen.

Thinking outside the square should be able to generate a game plan that accomodates both English and Sweet, but egos should not be part of the deliberations. And when Sweet has been given as many games to ‘find his feet’ as Gardner or McNeil got he should be significantly better.

8. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s be realistic about English and the ruck.

He has improved a lot recently, thanks to being given every possible opportunity over the last few years. But as recently as late last year he was mauled by Gawn (56 hitouts to 14). English’s strength is around the ground, kicking goals and stopping opposition attacks into their forward line.

Time to think in terms of what makes the team better.

In last night’s game there were times when Sweet made good position ahead of the ball and was completely ignored because he is not part of the fabric of the team. He, and the team (including English), will be better after he has had a run of 10 consecutive games. 12 months between games is a farce.

10. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English is a better ruck than Sweet. Let’s not go crazy because Sweet beat up on Aidan Begg and Darcy Cameron.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Thanks hujsh, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Scorlibo thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    English is a better ruck than Sweet. Let’s not go crazy because Sweet beat up on Aidan Begg and Darcy Cameron.
    He's not a #1 ruck either, he's a backup and would fill the role better than a washed up Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see more of Sweet at the level first. I mean he was against literally no one last night. I don't even know the guys name.
    Witts will be a better indicator considering by all reports he wasn't really faring all that well in the VFL. (hey that rhymes!).
    Witts is one of the best rucks going around nowdays. So a guy who has played a whoping 5 games gets whomped by Witts then he's no good? Is that the theme I'm reading?

Far out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Witts is one of the best rucks going around nowdays. So a guy who has played a whoping 5 games gets whomped by Witts then he's no good? Is that the theme I'm reading?

Far out.
    No I said it would be a better indicator rather than a couple of unknowns, is that a fair comment?

Post Thanks / Like

No I said it would be a better indicator rather than a couple of unknowns, is that a fair comment?
    But again he's played 5 games. Witts will towel him up this week but he'll be better for it long term. Do we pull the rug out from under him like we did after Gawn belted him last year? He moved well around the ground, clogged defence when needed and he has the ability to push forward when needed. Why can't we play English and let Sweet backup? Is our current structure a better option? Cordy? Hannan? Bont? As our backups

17. Likes westbulldog, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    But again he's played 5 games. Witts will towel him up this week but he'll be better for it long term. Do we pull the rug out from under him like we did after Gawn belted him last year? He moved well around the ground, clogged defence when needed and he has the ability to push forward when needed. Why can't we play English and let Sweet backup? Is our current structure a better option? Cordy? Hannan? Bont? As our backups
    Yeah agree. Would like to see them play together. When English rests he can go forward whilst Sweet can go the bench when English is rucking. Not the most efficient use of the bench or our talks but one that could work.

Post Thanks / Like

One of Sweet's big attributes last night was his second efforts after the ruck duel. Channeling his inner Benny Hudson, his big frame planted firmly in the centre melee after a non decisive ruck contest. There were times when he almost willed a Bulldog clearance. And that tap to Bont in the last quarter was a thing of joy.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

20. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Agreed, but it took English 50 games to be consistently better than Sweet was last night. Let’s give Sweet a fraction of that to show what he is worth.

22. Likes westbulldog liked this post