Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  90
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Gold Coast at Mars on Saturday Morning

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    But again he's played 5 games. Witts will towel him up this week but he'll be better for it long term. Do we pull the rug out from under him like we did after Gawn belted him last year? He moved well around the ground, clogged defence when needed and he has the ability to push forward when needed. Why can't we play English and let Sweet backup? Is our current structure a better option? Cordy? Hannan? Bont? As our backups
    Every time non ruckmen act as second ruck their contribution to the team’s performance has halved. The same thing has happened with Dunkley, Bruce and Schache. That 3 or 4 year experiment has been a failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Gold Coast at Mars on Saturday Morning

It's out of Sweet or Martin for the ruck battle this week.
    Sweet doesn't have to be better than Martin to win selection, just be 'nearly as good' because we gain more in the long run.
    If I was choosing, Sweet gets another run.

I really want McComb to make it because it's such a good story but his kicking is diabolical at AFL level. I'd take Roarke Smith's 10 touches ahead of Robbie's 20.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes Bumper Bulldogs, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Agreed, but it took English 50 games to be consistently better than Sweet was last night. Let’s give Sweet a fraction of that to show what he is worth.
    While there is an experience gap I feel it's worth mentioning Sweet is the same age as English. Both are now 24. I don't mean to dismiss the idea Sweet could make it at AFL level but I suspect English would be dominating VFL level in a way we've not seen from Sweet if English were in the same circumstances.

That said if Sweet can come good in some role for our club that would be amazing.

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    But again he's played 5 games. Witts will towel him up this week but he'll be better for it long term. Do we pull the rug out from under him like we did after Gawn belted him last year? He moved well around the ground, clogged defence when needed and he has the ability to push forward when needed. Why can't we play English and let Sweet backup? Is our current structure a better option? Cordy? Hannan? Bont? As our backups
    I wouldn't be against him getting a few games but it appears when Martin is fit he is preferred.

I'm looking forward to his battle with Witts I'm not sure it's going to be that one sided.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we really think Cordy gives us more than Sweet?

I should stop bemoaning about this, but if Cordy isn't playing as a defender he simply shouldn't be in the side. He offers absolutely nothing as a forward.
    W00F!

8. Likes GVGjr, MrMahatma, DOG GOD, Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I should stop bemoaning about this, but if Cordy isn't playing as a defender he simply shouldn't be in the side. He offers absolutely nothing as a forward.
    He stops Naughton getting double teamed and drags his defender away. Plus he provides a better contest than Marra/Shaq and at least has crack. Not a high bar but until Bruce is fit that's all we got I guess.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    He stops Naughton getting double teamed and drags his defender away. Plus he provides a better contest than Marra/Shaq and at least has crack.
    But he doesn't. Naughton still gets double teamed most weeks. I'd argue Buku has done more for Naughton in these last two weeks for creating space than what Cordy ever has.

If 'creating a contest' is the only thing keeping Cordy in the side, we're in real trouble.

Find it hard to believe Sweet couldn't provide a similar output as a forward, with far better returns as a ruck.
    W00F!

11. Likes Vred, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    He stops Naughton getting double teamed and drags his defender away. Plus he provides a better contest than Marra/Shaq and at least has crack. Not a high bar but until Bruce is fit that's all we got I guess.
    In the 3 games leading up to Friday night Cordy had a total of less than 20 disposals and less than 20 hitouts. Yes that is the total for 3 games. McNeil had 22 disposals in those 3 games and is a certain selection (remember his 30 m shot at goal against Adelaide couldn’t register a behind).

In his last appearance Shache spent half a game on the backline, then moved forward and kicked 2 goals. Reward: got dropped.

Yes, Cordy bounces around but he is a liability in his present role. He has a charmed existence, his bar is not even off the ground while Schache and Sweet (and previously Young) are branded as incompetent without being given any respect for their efforts.

And that’s from someone who likes Cordy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In the 3 games leading up to Friday night Cordy had a total of less than 20 disposals and less than 20 hitouts. Yes that is the total for 3 games. McNeil had 22 disposals in those 3 games and is a certain selection (remember his 30 m shot at goal against Adelaide couldn’t register a behind).

In his last appearance Shache spent half a game on the backline, then moved forward and kicked 2 goals. Reward: got dropped.

Yes, Cordy bounces around but he is a liability in his present role. He has a charmed existence, his bar is not even off the ground while Schache and Sweet (and previously Young) are branded as incompetent without being given any respect for their efforts.

And that’s from someone who likes Cordy.
    Cordy is competing with Shaq and Marra for that 2nd KPF spot, while im no Cordy fan and don't rate him he still offers more as a package than those other two. It's up to them to win Bevo over.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

When Tim comes back, I would like to see English/Sweet as the ruck combo and if that means Cordy misses out, so be it. Cordy can fight for a spot in the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Cordy was pretty good last night even used the "knee of Zaine" to take out Noble.

16. Likes chef, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But he doesn't. Naughton still gets double teamed most weeks. I'd argue Buku has done more for Naughton in these last two weeks for creating space than what Cordy ever has.

If 'creating a contest' is the only thing keeping Cordy in the side, we're in real trouble.

Find it hard to believe Sweet couldn't provide a similar output as a forward, with far better returns as a ruck.
    Hannan has played the same role and there has been no issues. He doesn't accumulate a lot of stats either. If Naughton is double tagged with Cordy playing the role then we have someone else who is freed up. Cordy also leaves quite a bit of carnage the way he attacks the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Hannan has played the same role and there has been no issues. He doesn't accumulate a lot of stats either. If Naughton is double tagged with Cordy playing the role then we have someone else who is freed up. Cordy also leaves quite a bit of carnage the way he attacks the ball.
    Hannan has been a disaster as a ruckman. Using him in the ruck lost the final home and away game last year when we lost by1 point.

Who can forget English running away from a ruck contest in the forward pocket when Hannan nominated. We were 1 point down and hitting the ball through would have given a draw and the double chance in the finals. Hannan simply jumped into the Port ruckman who cleared the ball. Hannan finished the game with 11 disposals and 0 hitouts. The experiment of having any player as second ruck has been an ongoing disaster for years and Cordy is simply continuing the tradition.

19. Likes westbulldog, DOG GOD, MrMahatma, Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I thought Cordy was pretty good last night even used the "knee of Zaine" to take out Noble.
    Agreed. I like the way Cordy throws himself into the contest. But…

He was playing in the best game we have had this year. The midfielders were on fire, getting the ball into the forward line quickly, all getting the ball 30 or more times. The team was dominant with even more possessions than when they defeated North (+110).

As a forward Cordy wasn’t able to bother the score board. His record so far this year is 2 goals 0 behinds. That’s not good enough. Since when can forwards get away with rarely scoring. Scoring is important. If he is playing as a forward let him do so. The ruck aspect is holding him back.

Post Thanks / Like

Out McComb in R Smith we need him to do a run with role on Miller.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

22. Likes josie liked this post