Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  75
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 11 v West Coast at Optus Stadium on Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think I'll survive.

Agree that English & Sweet would have to share the ruck role because Sweet battles to have an impact when up forward... well at least that's the case at the lower level. I'd be comfortable to run with this strategy (English & Sweet sharing ruck duties) for the next 2 games and then re-access after the bye.
    Yeah I'd have thought Sweet would play vast majority of his time on ground as ruck as I didn't really think of the option of spending much time up forward. Bevo seems a bit more open to it than I thought but maybe it's all about English getting conditioning back.

We have a bit of an opportunity with 3 of our next 4 games against sides with either poor rucks and/or not very physical/dominating types.

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 11 v West Coast at Optus Stadium on Saturday Night

Tim to play out west great.
    I like the idea of Sweet mainly rucking and Tim mainly forward adding to our marking and kicking power up forward, what gives?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Tim to play out west great.
    I like the idea of Sweet mainly rucking and Tim mainly forward adding to our marking and kicking power up forward, what gives?
    There is a prevailing mindset that Tim indicated he wants to be first ruck.

So if he's fit, it might be a bit of an issue if Sweet is chosen in that role before he is.

So that leaves Sweet as the Cordy ruck forward and we don't know if he's capable.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There is a prevailing mindset that Tim indicated he wants to be first ruck.

So if he's fit, it might be a bit of an issue if Sweet is chosen in that role before he is.

So that leaves Sweet as the Cordy ruck forward and we don't know if he's capable.
    Yeah, that story came out in a press conference last season. Bevo said something along the lines if we don't play him ruck we'll lose him to another club? It really didn't sit well with me then and really doesn't sit well now. If what is best for the team is English playing Fwd/Ruck then that is what it should be. I always felt we looked the most dangerous when we had Naughton, Bruce and English up forward. Didn't happen often but we looked great when it we did it. It would certainly help Naughton out a lot having a competent Fwd beside him and wouldn't hurt to ease Tim into the team.

7. Likes Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah, that story came out in a press conference last season. Bevo said something along the lines if we don't play him ruck we'll lose him to another club? It really didn't sit well with me then and really doesn't sit well now. If what is best for the team is English playing Fwd/Ruck then that is what it should be. I always felt we looked the most dangerous when we had Naughton, Bruce and English up forward. Didn't happen often but we looked great when it we did it. It would certainly help Naughton out a lot having a competent Fwd beside him and wouldn't hurt to ease Tim into the team.
    Have to say I completely agree.

Sweet first ruck, Tim forward seems so dangerous.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to say I completely agree.

Sweet first ruck, Tim forward seems so dangerous.
    But, first ruck is not just hitouts. You have to be able to take marks around the ground, drop into a hole in defence or run forward and maybe kick a goal.

Tim is averaging something like 20 plus disposals a game and 7/8 marks, including 22 hitouts, he is more dangerous as first ruck.

Sweet can't do that, at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But, first ruck is not just hitouts. You have to be able to take marks around the ground, drop into a hole in defence or run forward and maybe kick a goal.

Tim is averaging something like 20 plus disposals a game and 7/8 marks, including 22 hitouts, he is more dangerous as first ruck.

What do you think will happen BAD? Reading between the lines with Bevo; they're both playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Listened to the presser. Definitely consistent with others on this thread that I believe he intends to play Sweet and English together this week. Duryea in for Clearly also sounds like a lock. Cody will also play. So a miniumum of three changes by the sounds of it.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think will happen BAD? Reading between the lines with Bevo; they're both playing.
    They will both play and as Mantis said, maybe English spends more time forward until he gets match fitness.

A great opportunity for Sweet to prove himself, and keep Cordy out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year English got over 15 disposals 6times and got over 20 hitouts 5 times. This year, after er about 60 games, he is doing what you said.

The problem for the club is while he was allowed to develop in the firsts Sweet was left to rot.

Against Collingwood Sweet’s figures were typical English pre 50 games.

Last year McNeil was given 11 games for 7 goals. I think the ruck needs at least that type of commitment.

Post Thanks / Like

They will both play and as Mantis said, maybe English spends more time forward until he gets match fitness.

A great opportunity for Sweet to prove himself, and keep Cordy out.
    Why are we assuming Cordy is out?

Could be Naughton or Buku.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Give Tim licence to roam from CHF, Sweet covering more back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why are we assuming Cordy is out?

Could be Naughton or Buku.
    Agree could be Buku, but he and Naughton aren't generally involved in the ruck rotations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Last year English got over 15 disposals 6times and got over 20 hitouts 5 times. This year, after er about 60 games, he is doing what you said.

The problem for the club is while he was allowed to develop in the firsts Sweet was left to rot.

Against Collingwood Sweet’s figures were typical English pre 50 games.

Last year McNeil was given 11 games for 7 goals. I think the ruck needs at least that type of commitment.
    2 problems here.

1. Apparently we're somehow meant to carry 2 rucks in the side for the sake of development. 1 developing ruck might make sense but 2 in a contending side it a bit much.

2. It's common for players (especially tall players) to develop in the VFL until they're ready to impact at AFL level. Sweet was poor at VFL level last year. He wasn't "left to rot", he obviously had things to work on in his game since he clearly wasn't at the point where he was 'too good' for VFL football. As is the case with Jamarra if a developing player isn't in good form it's fine to let them find it at a lower level.

IMO Sweet got the right amount of experience last year. A run of games to expose him to AFL level but also make the areas he needs to improve more clear.

19. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the narrative around English's illness, hospital admission, extended recovery - I can't see him coming back and hitting the same numbers as his start to the year. I think it makes a lot of sense to split with Sweet 50/50 at least, and I would like Sweet doing even 60-70% of the ruckwork.

21. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post