Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 12 v Geelong at Marvel on Friday Night

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Unfortunately, Sweet can only contribute at the stoppage and this represents a liability when he is playing second fiddle to English.

If he could develop to be any threat forward this would change.

With rotations we can't really afford to have a player limited to contributing for about 20-25% game time.
    You mean like Zaine Cordy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Forgetting about list management, and players we don't have, what is your solution for tomorrow and the rest of the season for the 2nd ruck role? For me, it can't be Hannan, or Dunkley, or any other mid.
    For mine, I think we do whatever it takes to give our midfield an advantage at ALL times. Play to your strengths. That's the only way we compete at the top end and potentially win the flag. If we were so hellbent on "flexibility", why bother getting Treloar? We got him to exploit a clear strength further. I liked that. Exploit. your. strengths. I can live with losing in that manner.

That means no Cordy, no Schache, no Hannan, no Dunkley as second ruck. It doesn't work. That is a KNOWN. Move on from this tactic.

My first preference is we play the English/Sweet combination. I 'get' all the calls about Sweet, but if he's on the list and has been on the list all this time, it's about time we figure out if he's worth persisting with. He obviously isn't taking over Tim, so let's see how we can make it work with him as the second ruck/forward. The reality is our other options are contributing next to nothing in any position on the ground (Cordy and Schache) and Martin is finished.

If Sweet needs to be somewhat managed at times, fine. But let's give our players some confidence in a structure - THIS is what we are, THIS is our identity.

At the end of the year if we're still worried about Sweet and the second ruck position, ADDRESS IT. But until then, let's see if we can get an advantage because the reality is that if our midfield wins the battle OR breaks even, we win most games we play.
    W00F!

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said TBB. However if they bring in another tall player I hope the give Schache another go. His efforts in the VFL have been better. And he has flexibility to play multiple roles for us.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You mean like Zaine Cordy?
    Cordy does provide some pressure presence and is better without the ball than Sweet.

My preference is Schache for this week as he can get a goal and had the best performance of the options last week.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Cordy does provide some pressure presence and is better without the ball than Sweet.

My preference is Schache for this week as he can get a goal and had the best performance of the options last week.
    Schache was really showing something in the key back role last season but he had a howler and was dropped. He also went forward a few times and hit the scoreboard. I thought Bevo liked flexibility and I'm surprised he hasn't been given more opportunities.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache was really showing something in the key back role last season but he had a howler and was dropped. He also went forward a few times and hit the scoreboard. I thought Bevo liked flexibility and I'm surprised he hasn't been given more opportunities.
    Schache more than other players would benefit from playing in a winning team perhaps, give him confidence that he can have a crack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Schache more than other players would benefit from playing in a winning team perhaps, give him confidence that he can have a crack.
    This is a good point, we have tended to drop him on the back of one poor performance, If possible an extended run might be the right tonic for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is a good point, we have tended to drop him on the back of one poor performance, If possible an extended run might be the right tonic for him.
    Last time we dropped him was on the back of a good performance, on the back line for half then the forward line for 2 goals.

We drop Schache because we can. Don’t need a reason.

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, 1eyedog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Bevo presser a few take outs:

-I don't think Marra will play. When asked about Marra Bevo said that it is difficult to change the team this week. He said there are many things that some players are doing which contribute to the team success but not necessarily the stat sheet.

-Baz is fit and firing and will definitely come in. He also said that the club has currently had a good run with illness, all clear.

-He mentioned it was the first time that Sweet and English had played together where English was the primary ruck and Sweet was the back up and had to pinch hit forward. He said Jordan had been solid in the ruck for the last two weeks so it is a good sign if Tim isn't available that Sweety can fill a role. That gave me the imporession that Sweet is not playing this week.

-Bevo also mentioned that JJ only played 75% of the game in the VFL and needs to get through a full game at state level before he can be considered.
    Last edited by angelopetraglia; 02-06-2022 at 04:49 PM.

16. Thanks bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54, Grantysghost, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just watched an old Dogs v Cats game on Fox, and the Cats seemed to have great difficulty matching up on Josh Schache. He kicked multiple goals, and was a great contributor to our win. It was the game where Harry Taylor missed a set shot after the siren to give us the win.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I've just watched an old Dogs v Cats game on Fox, and the Cats seemed to have great difficulty matching up on Josh Schache. He kicked multiple goals, and was a great contributor to our win. It was the game where Harry Taylor missed a set shot after the siren to give us the win.
    With angelopetraglia suggesting no Marra maybe Josh gets a go but angelopetraglia reporting bevo saying 'difficult to change the team' yet Sweet likely out...hmm

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo could be foxing when q? about Marra 'difficult to change the team'.
    If Sweet out surely a biggie forward comes in Marra/Loveshack.

Post Thanks / Like

Following on from the press conference, I can see only Baz coming in.

But, who goes out? Maybe McComb
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Following on from the press conference, I can see only Baz coming in.

But, who goes out? Maybe McComb
    Marra was training in the super domestique guernsey this week he's a lock.

23. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marra was training in the super domestique guernsey this week he's a lock.
    So was West. Which I found unsual. Is there a domestique for the VFL and AFL each week?