Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Three things you've learned. Round ten 2022 v Gold Coast Suns in Ballarat

Alright tell us three things you have learnt this afternoon
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round ten 2022 v Gold Coast Suns in Ballarat

1. Richards game today franks the gains he has made this year. Just looks so composed and ready to consistently perform now. I didn't know he had a hard contested side to his aerial game. It was crucial today. He's moving very quickly up the rankings in our team from an importance point of view. He and Dale are very scary weapons to have in the back half.

2. I thought our team plan for today was executed very well. Gold Coast are one of the premier teams for contested ball and stoppage work this year. We didn't have to clearly win the hit outs, but we needed to just hobble the effectiveness of what Witts can do in terms of bringing guys like Miller, Swallow, Rowell and Anderson into the game. Rowell was totally blanked. And whilst Anderson and Swallow got clearances, they weren't as effective as they have been in recent weeks and our mids were able to win more than enough ball to generate our scoring chances. Our tactics really had a tangible impact in stopping their 1 one from hitting the fairway often enough.

3. The back half now looks settled, and not a cause for concern going into games each week. It would be good to just get the final, attacking third of the ground firing on all cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Richards is really going to another level. I really love how he positions himself to almost take aerial marks on his chest and turning his body to protect the ball. His confidence is sky high and he’s playing like it. Making good decisions, and executing sound skills.

2. When we play our best, our mids run hard and share the ball well. We just need to get more consistency in this. The work ethic is mostly there, but it just seems our mids can take the foot off the pedal.

3. Our work inside 50 is still a problem, and teams that really rebound well will hurt us. McNeil is one of the best tacklers in the team and can see why he’s there, but I don’t know another team like ours, that gets the ball 20 metres out and literally can’t score.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. First half was best I’ve seen us play this year. We are slowly improving, I’m starting to buy into that now

2. I made a bet 5 years ago that Ed Richards would be AA. A season like today and I’m getting my money back (yes I cracked it and paid out)

3. I reckon our forward line looks a little better without Weightman there. I want him back, but perhaps in a different role

Post Thanks / Like

1. Richards played a very good game and is improving all the time.
    2. Williams showed that he is coming back to his good form.
    3. Cleary I thought did well and is composed, has potential.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Sweet runs out of puff but needs to do more around the ground. 4 Disposals doesn't cut it

2. Great to see the backline coordinated and starting to click together, although a couple of brain fades cost us goals.

3. Richards has a good leap and great to see him take the game on
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. Sweet runs out of puff but needs to do more around the ground. 4 Disposals doesn't cut it

2. Great to see the backline coordinated and starting to click together, although a couple of brain fades cost us goals.

Sweet at least laid a couple of great tackles.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Isn’t Sweet competing for a spot with Cordy?

Every time Cordy goes into the ruck the opposition surges. We can’t afford to have that happen every week.

Why isn’t Sweet’s training program developing better stamina? What should be done differently? Any improvement could have a significant impact on the team.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Nice to see Robbie McComb kick 2 goals again as a small forward. Doing his job.

2. This year Richards has improved a lot. His overhead marking is seriously good. A definite keeper.

3. Treloar is one of our sides best kicks for goal. Running at full tilt or at set shots. A real gun too.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Street is a serviceable ruckman. Should play ahead of Martin for the rest of the season.

2. Treloar has always been flashy, but I thought his grunt work in close, tackling etc was top notch.

3. I am not sure where to play Daniel. Down back does not seem that effective these days
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    1. Street is a serviceable ruckman. Should play ahead of Martin for the rest of the season.

2. Treloar has always been flashy, but I thought his grunt work in close, tackling etc was top notch.

3. I am not sure where to play Daniel. Down back does not seem that effective these days

Post Thanks / Like

1. West is a player. Has awareness and poise and is bringing the heat in the contest. I really want to invest in this kid long term, and not lose him at the end of the year.

2. Naughton is going to rip a game to shreds at some point. That was as dominant a display early as you'll ever see from a forward, seems the Suns had to resort to dirty pool to stop him.

3. Bont is still injured. I wouldn't mind resting him until after the bye. It's a tough one as he was probably the difference in the end but I want him fit at the pointy end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    1. West is a player. Has awareness and poise and is bringing the heat in the contest. I really want to invest in this kid long term, and not lose him at the end of the year.

2. Naughton is going to rip a game to shreds at some point. That was as dominant a display early as you'll ever see from a forward, seems the Suns had to resort to dirty pool to stop him.

3. Bont is still injured. I wouldn't mind resting him until after the bye. It's a tough one as he was probably the difference in the end but I want him fit at the pointy end of the season.
    The only knock on point 3 is that there might not be a pointy end for us if we don't keep winning and Bont plays a big part in that.
    Dropping a couple of games earlier in the season that we should have won might limit our chances of giving him a couple of weeks off.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Williams on the wing works well. He already knows how to defend and he showed it a number of times getting into position to spoil. His ability to get forward and score is a massive plus. He should've kicked a least 4 goals yesterday. I can sense a bag coming if he stays on the wing.

2. Sweety's effort was great on the weekend. The stats sheet doesn't do him justice. When he was on the ground we controlled the clearances. He stopped Witts who is in AA form having it all his way. A few of his taps were rippers where he put in in the lap of a player running past. It's taken English 5 years to produce that sort of ruck work. The couple a tackles he did were rippers also. Still not sure how he stays in when English returns though

3. West has his dad's vision. A couple times and even last week I thought he should've gone to a better option, but he saw the best option and took it. He brings plenty of pressure and his a good user of the ball. I hope he keeps his spot, he's waited long enough.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Isn’t Sweet competing for a spot with Cordy?

Every time Cordy goes into the ruck the opposition surges. We can’t afford to have that happen every week.

Why isn’t Sweet’s training program developing better stamina? What should be done differently? Any improvement could have a significant impact on the team.
    Sweet is competing with Tim, not the second ruck role. Sweet can't be a second ruck, he doesn't currently have the ability.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.