Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round ten 2022 v Gold Coast Suns in Ballarat

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The only knock on point 3 is that there might not be a pointy end for us if we don't keep winning and Bont plays a big part in that.
    Dropping a couple of games earlier in the season that we should have won might limit our chances of giving him a couple of weeks off.
    That's certainly the risk. The Cats game would be very tough without him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sweet is competing with Tim, not the second ruck role. Sweet can't be a second ruck, he doesn't currently have the ability.
    But neither does Cordy. Averaging about 7 possessions and 5 hitouts in a full game isn’t acceptable. It has already cost games. Every time he goes near the centre bounce the opposition surges. (Close enough). We need to fix this limitation before we play the top teams. Who else have we got for the second ruck/ forward role?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    But neither does Cordy. Averaging about 7 possessions and 5 hitouts in a full game isn’t acceptable. It has already cost games. Every time he goes near the centre bounce the opposition surges. (Close enough). We need to fix this limitation before we play the top teams. Who else have we got for the second ruck/ forward role?
    We don't have anyone else. Buku has done the role at VFL level, but can he do it at AFL level with only 3/4 games experience. Sweet can't.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the question is if Sweet can fit into the forward line, do the necessary blocking and have the tank to not be a complete liability defensively.

If he lacks the stamina to ruck the full game the best case scenario is playing forward would keep him fresh enough to attack his time in the ruck at 100% but the worst case scenario is he's too puffed from chasing defenders to perform either role adequately.

For me it all revolves around his stamina and which role is more aerobically demanding for him. If he doesn't have the tank to play forward for at least 50% of his game time then he probably just can't play. If he can then I think he should be strongly considered. As ever it's the kind of decision you just have to trust the coaching staff on to know the players and the system better than we do.

5. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think the question is if Sweet can fit into the forward line, do the necessary blocking and have the tank to not be a complete liability defensively.

If he lacks the stamina to ruck the full game the best case scenario is playing forward would keep him fresh enough to attack his time in the ruck at 100% but the worst case scenario is he's too puffed from chasing defenders to perform either role adequately.

For me it all revolves around his stamina and which role is more aerobically demanding for him. If he doesn't have the tank to play forward for at least 50% of his game time then he probably just can't play. If he can then I think he should be strongly considered. As ever it's the kind of decision you just have to trust the coaching staff on to know the players and the system better than we do.
    That makes sense. Can anything be done to build his tank? If he is close, played 80% against Collingwood, might only need a top up. I remember that Peter Hudson got someone to teach him to run more efficiently.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense. Can anything be done to build his tank? If he is close, played 80% against Collingwood, might only need a top up. I remember that Peter Hudson got someone to teach him to run more efficiently.

I guess it depends on the cause. Is he running enough? Probably just a case of running more. Is he too heavy? Again, probably just needs to run more and ease off the weights/ change the diet up. Does he have a low VO2 Max? Not sure you can do much to fix it if that's the problem. Happy for someone more informed to answer with regards to that (and the question in general of course)

We have the VU guys around so surely if this is an identified problem between them and the conditioning staff we have some plan to fix it (if we think it can be addressed which I assume we do given we retained him on the list)

8. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL level match fitness is difficult to replicate in training. It's not a 10km run, it's crashing into your opponent mid air, wrestling them, getting up and down the ground, flying for marks, sprinting after an opponent or with the ball, laying and taking tackles, and executing skills at pace and under pressure

The best place to develop that is in the AFL side
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

10. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Agreed but this only highlights our inadequacy in trading/drafting some ruck depth if Sweet is STILL not at the level required to play 80% game time.

I keep banging on about it, but it's not like we didn't know what Sweet was at the end of last year. We offered him 1 year so clearly we had big question marks over his ability/fitness, yet we did absolutely nothing about it except put trust in Martin who can barely string together consecutive training sessions at this point.

Flogging a dead horse I know, but somebody needs to be held accountable at our football club.

** I get we 'targeted' Soldo. Fine. But we didn't get him and then we did... nothing? Great play **

Side note: If Sweet can't replace Cordy's 5-7 possessions a game with a couple of blocks, but offer much more as a second ruck, delist him today.
    W00F!

12. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Ed Richards has more strings to his bow than I realised. Lifts his value immensely. I always thought he would be a good player but that game he elevated himself (literally and figuratively) to another level.

2. I believe we have found a player in Cleary. Composed, neat and competent. A lot to work with.

3. Sweet is good enough. Small numbers I know. But he scrapped and tackled and blocked and made his presence felt. That's enough sometimes. Better than throwing Cordy in there (not having a crack at Cordy, he's just not big enough for the role)

Post Thanks / Like

Question1 : Darcy Fort , had question over his fitness. His been able to string together some productive games this year for Brisbane. Apart from recovering from his injuries, what has improved his aerobic capacity ? I would like to know what Brisbane has done to improve his stamina and endurance.

Q2. Is it mainly application or attitude that is hindering Sweet's development?

Q3. Do we still have a ruck coach ?

Just want to understand why Sweet is not progressing, there is clearly a spot for him in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Question1 : Darcy Fort , had question over his fitness. His been able to string together some productive games this year for Brisbane. Apart from recovering from his injuries, what has improved his aerobic capacity ? I would like to know what Brisbane has done to improve his stamina and endurance.

Q2. Is it mainly application or attitude that is hindering Sweet's development?

Q3. Do we still have a ruck coach ?

Just want to understand why Sweet is not progressing, there is clearly a spot for him in the side.
    No there isn't.

Sweet is a no.1 ruck... English is 100x better than him in that role so when English is fit & healthy then Sweet misses out.

16. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Fort has played every game bar 1 with McInerney so it's not really a like for like comparison to Sweet. I don't know what their ruck split is but I would guess something like 60/40 to McInerney. It's a bit less demanding than playing 80% as the sole ruckman with a part time chop out.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t get this ruck conversation. We are second for clearances behind only Brisbane and we are about to get our best ruckman back. Sweet has shown he can hold his own when needed. What is the problem? We aren’t short a ruckman, we are short a key forward who can help out in the ruck. If Bruce can make a successful return, we are ok in that area as well. Marra will add to that next year as will Darcy the year after.

This ruck debate has become ideological rather than based in fact.
    Last edited by Before I Die; 24-05-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Factual correction
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I don’t get this ruck conversation. We are second for clearances behind only Melbourne and we are about to get our best ruckman back. Sweet has shown he can hold his own when needed. What is the problem? We aren’t short a ruckman, we are short a key forward who can help out in the ruck. If Bruce can make a successful return, we are ok in that area as well. Marra will add to that next year as will Darcy the year after.

This ruck debate has become ideological rather than based in fact.
    Actually Melbourne are 10th for clearances, and yes we are 2nd, just behind Lions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks Before I Die thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Actually Melbourne are 10th for clearances, and yes we are 2nd, just behind Lions.
    Thanks BAD, I’ll bow to your knowledge and correct my post. I’m not sure what the data was that my Google search brought up. Also apologise to all for sidetracking the thread, though I think that had already happened.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!