Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Low Life Media calling Bevo a sook

link

There really are some idiots in the media - getting sick of them.

‘SOOKING’ COACH’S ‘DIRTY WORK’ CALL LEAVES RIVALS ‘BEMUSED’

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has been accused of “sooking” and asking others to do his “dirty work” after a mysterious complaint about Aaron Naughton’s game against Gold Coast.

Naughton kicked three goals in the first half of the Dogs’ win but none in the second half against star Suns backman Sam Collins, with a coy Beveridge raising the issue in his post-match press conference.

However he wasn’t willing to spell out the exact complaint he was making.

“I’ve got to be really careful here because he’s been so dominant and then there were reasons why he wasn’t in the second half,” Beveridge said.

“That’s all I’ll say. We’ll do some follow up.

“He kept fighting, kept bringing the ball to ground.
    “We’ll work our way through it through the course of the week.”

Asked if the reason was an injury, Beveridge replied: “Nah.

“After the game what happens is you are pretty sure you know what happened, but you’ve got to go back to have a look just to make sure.

“I can’t really comment, I’ll just go back and have a look.”

While in many respects Beveridge’s ability to show restraint with something that bothered him in the immediate aftermath of a game was admirable, it also caused confusion among observers.

On the Sunday Footy Show, Port Adelaide champion Kane Cornes questioned why Beveridge would half-raise the issue but then not actually spell it out.

“You’ve got to be really careful, you don’t want to go into detail, so why put it on the radar?” Cornes said on Nine.

“Because people like us will go, what are you talking about? I went back and had a look, clearly I think he’s talking about umpiring and the treatment of Aaron Naughton - nothing in the contests I’ve seen says he was treated unfairly.

“Is that what he’s talking about, or is it something different?

“When you front the media, you’re talking to your fans, and he’s put something on the radar that he’s not happy to explore or go into for whatever reason, so why say it? What’s the benefit of Luke Beveridge going with that yesterday, other than to cause unwanted speculation and a thought he’s perhaps sooking over one of his players?”

AFL journalist Damian Barrett said Gold Coast was “bemused” by Beveridge’s comment.

“There might’ve been one identifiable free kick that Naughton should’ve got that he didn’t get, but that happens at any stage in a game of footy.

“I haven’t spoken to anybody that has any idea what he’s referring to there, and to flag it and raise it but withdraw from what he’s actually raising, I don’t (understand).”

Host Tony Jones added: “Clearly he wants everyone else to do his dirty work - ie, you’ve dug in and had a look.”

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd suggested it could have been about “what the Suns could’ve been doing to him off the ball to stop his run, those types of things”.

Beveridge appears to have form in this area.

The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph tweeted: “Bevo was dirty that Naughton was repeatedly held by Adelaide’s Jordon Butts in the last Ballarat game.

“Not sure Collins did anything wrong apart from one missed free so Bevo surely posturing to get a better rub of the green in future weeks.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Low Life Media calling Bevo a sook

I was at the game and watched Naughton getting continually held, scragged, blocked pushed and no free kicks for, only against when he retaliated.

This happens week after week.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly have a way with words.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You certainly have a way with words.
    Glad you enjoy reading them

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo constantly loses me these days he's working on a whole other level xD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bevo constantly loses me these days he's working on a whole other level xD
    Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why?
    If he had an issue with Naughton he should've just said that instead of insinuating it like he knew but didn't want to say.

It opened it up to scrutiny being so cryptic.

12. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he had an issue with Naughton he should've just said that instead of insinuating it like he knew but didn't want to say.

And prob get fined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    And prob get fined.
    Quite possibly

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don’t really know what he was supposed to do. If he says nothing he gets called out for, well, saying nothing. He says what he was implying and he gets fined because any criticism of umpiring is now an indictable offence. If he gives a generic answer and says that Collins did a “good job”, then in addition to lying he’s not backing his player, which I think Bevo would rather resign than do.

This is only a story because of who said and who reports on it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes WBFC4FFC, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine wise was some of the fine from round 1 partially suspended? If he had've commented further it could have got quite expensive very quickly.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I don’t really know what he was supposed to do. If he says nothing he gets called out for, well, saying nothing. He says what he was implying and he gets fined because any criticism of umpiring is now an indictable offence. If he gives a generic answer and says that Collins did a “good job”, then in addition to lying he’s not backing his player, which I think Bevo would rather resign than do.

This is only a story because of who said and who reports on it.
    My comment is more a holistic I have NFI what he's saying rather than this particular example. He's always quite esoteric and cryptic which isn't a bad thing (his snow button speech at a season launch my all time fav).

I couldn't tell from the TV how badly he was being scragged, it didn't translate on screen. He probably did well to refrain.

Those ch9 guys seem to have it in for him.

Post Thanks / Like

100%
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.