Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Low Life Media calling Bevo a sook

I was directly behind the goals 3 rows back, how these umpires could not pay a free kick off the ball is beyond me? 1, 2, sometimes 3 blocking Naughton off the ball, holding almost tackling. I doubt many of these would have been caught on camera but the umpire just need to ping them once and it would have been settled.

He's dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't in this situation. Probably should not have said a thing and made enquiries behind closed doors. ANyway, it's done and hopefully Naughton gets some whistles.

2. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bevo constantly loses me these days he's working on a whole other level xD
    He might have a legitimate complaint but he's done himself and the club a disservice by airing it the way he has.
    His responses in a few press conferences this year concerns me and I wonder if he is really coping that well with things.

It's a balancing challenge for him with answering questions. His half response opens himself up for criticism.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He might have a legitimate complaint but he's done himself and the club a disservice by airing it the way he has.
    His responses in a few press conferences this year concerns me and I wonder if he is really coping that well with things.

It's a balancing challenge for him with answering questions. His half response opens himself up for criticism.
    You need to look at it a different way. He is publicly backing his player and sending a message to umpires and other teams as well.

He is limited in what he can say against the umpires, but his message has been sent. Calling him a sook by the MSM just shows we have a real problem in society. These people are out of control.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You need to look at it a different way. He is publicly backing his player and sending a message to umpires and other teams as well.

He is limited in what he can say against the umpires, but his message has been sent. Calling him a sook by the MSM just shows we have a real problem in society. These people are out of control.
    I get it's the heat of the moment but there are probably better ways to air these things like a private enquiry to the umpiring department maybe?

I don't think it's going to help Naughton's cause unfortunately.

But I can see it's a fine line and he's an emotional guy.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't though.

You can't be half pregnant. Call out what you saw and say:

"At the 7 minute mark of the 3rd q GC player Collins etc..."

OR, if you don't want to do that because you're not sure or whatever (and they have 4x camera angles in the box so he was sure) just say "Full credit to the GC defenders who just got on top in the 2nd half. We'll be working with Aaron to help him work out some strategies to deal with the tactics they used in the future..."

Bevo brings this upon himself and it sounded like he wanted to complain without complaining...just say it or don't say it...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes GVGjr, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He didn't though.

You can't be half pregnant. Call out what you saw and say:

"At the 7 minute mark of the 3rd q GC player Collins etc..."

OR, if you don't want to do that because you're not sure or whatever (and they have 4x camera angles in the box so he was sure) just say "Full credit to the GC defenders who just got on top in the 2nd half. We'll be working with Aaron to help him work out some strategies to deal with the tactics they used in the future..."

Bevo brings this upon himself and it sounded like he wanted to complain without complaining...just say it or don't say it...
    Well we all handle those situations differently.

My beef is with the MSM calling an AFL coach a sook, and Barrett asking Bevo to apologise - FMD.

Barrett shows all the vision from behind the goals with the pulling, holding blocking and Lloyd says that is just normal. It maybe normal defensive work, but it is also not right and should be stamped out.

see here about half way through
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How does half answering the question and pulling back half way help achieve anything for us or Naughton?

The professional way would be to escalate this with the umpires and follow the process that is in place.
    I have no problems if he goes in full bore but his 'half in' approach is inviting the criticism fair or unwarranted.
    I don't definitely agree that he is a sook as the reporting indicates but he opened the door there.
    It's not new news that the journo's are going to blow up a story if you give them a chance but calling him a sook isn't right.

Post Thanks / Like

Just used the Universal Translator on Bevo's post match comments...

"Collins is lucky Barry Hall has retired or he may have been Scott Thompsoned or Brent Stakered"
    Footscray member since 1980.

12. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Just used the Universal Translator on Bevo's post match comments...

"Collins is lucky Barry Hall has retired or he may have been Scott Thompsoned or Brent Stakered"
    Or Paul Gallened!

Great verbs.They're harder when they're looking.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...23-p5annq.html

A different take from The Age

Western Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton has received just six free kicks for being held this season, half as many as the forward that tops the list.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge put Naughton’s treatment on the agenda after Saturday’s 19-point win in Ballarat, when he suggested Naughton may have been on the receiving end of illegal handling by Sam Collins.

Collins, a robust defender and best-and-fairest winner, kept Naughton goalless in the second half.

“I’ve got to be really careful here, because he’s been so dominant and then there were reasons why he wasn’t in the second half,” Beveridge said of Naughton in his post-game press conference.

“That’s all I’ll say … after the game what happens is you are pretty sure you know what happened, but you’ve got to go back to have a look just to make sure.”

Beveridge left Suns coaches and management baffled by his comments. Behind-the-goals vision of Collins’ blanketing job after the main break has shown he appeared to have little case to answer - there was one hold that should have been paid a free kick - prompting Essendon great and former goalkicking champion Matthew Lloyd to even suggest all young defenders should watch how Collins went about his work.

However, The Age has found throughout the season that Naughton has been paid only six free kicks (10 games) this season for holding the man. That is half of the number paid to Carlton spearhead Harry McKay (12 in eight games) and five less than St Kilda’s Max King (10 games), suggesting this was a bigger-picture play by Beveridge. Charlie Curnow, Tom Lynch and Lance Franklin each have one more than Naughton.

The Bulldogs on Monday had the option of taking their concerns about Collins to the AFL’s umpiring department, but did not wish to comment. Suns chief executive Mark Evans said Gold Coast weren’t sure what Beveridge had been referring to, but the Bulldogs said their coach would elaborate at his press conference later in the week.

“I thought it might have to do with the couple of frees Naughton gave away to Collins in the third [term]. Both frees were paid before the ball came to their area, so they were actually taken upfield,” Evans said.

In a discussion about whether Beveridge should apologise, Lloyd, speaking to AFL.com.au, said: “If you were the Suns, you would want answers”. Evans, however, said: “[It’s] up to him whether he wants to apologise.”

Regardless, as rival club figures noted, it was a wily move from Beveridge. Even if nothing comes of this immediate incident, it effectively puts the umpires on notice heading into mid-year and then, ultimately, the business part of the season.

Naughton booted three goals in the first half and had Collins shifted off him, but was goalless in the second, coming as a re-engaged Collins shadowed and harassed him at every opportunity.

He regularly bumped Naughton before the man known as the “Astro-naut” could take off for his customary high-leaping marks. Naughton was also regularly bodied off his line, but, under the AFL’s ‘Laws of the Game’, there was little to suggest a free kick should have been awarded. Under Law 18.5 (marking contests), an umpire shall award a free kick in a marking contest against a player where the player: (a) holds or blocks an opposition player; (b) unduly pushes or bumps an opposition player; (c) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition player; (d) makes contact to an opposition player from front-on and whose sole objective is not to contest or spoil a mark; or (e) makes an unrealistic attempt to contest or spoil a mark which interferes with an opposition player

Close onlookers have also suggested Beveridge’s remarks were a show of unity for his key forward - a man who will largely dictate whether the Bulldogs can go one step better this year after the heartache of Perth.

Another view was that the comments may be a peek below the bonnet of the Bulldogs’ goal-kicking concerns when Naughton is held. Still without the injured Josh Bruce, Naughton has a team-high 25 goals but Marcus Bontempelli - the Dogs’ best midfielder who has been sent forward more - is next best with 13. Cody Weightman, out with a broken collarbone, has 12, while midfielder Adam Treloar has 10.

Compared to the Demons, Lions and even the surging Blues, that’s a goal-kicking list that’s probably not going to get the job done against the league’s elite, despite the Bulldogs improving their win-loss record to 5-5, due largely to their improved clearance and post-clearance work.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

He may have to apologise at some point.

Collins is a decent defender and there's 0 evidence as to what he was conjuring.

My theory : he's pissed that he's been out moustached.

16. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He may have to apologise at some point.

Collins is a decent defender and there's 0 evidence as to what he was conjuring.
    I just watched some of his antics and while he did push the limits did he really do anything more than we would expect off a FB pitted against one of the comps best young forwards?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I just watched some of his antics and while he did push the limits did he really do anything more than we would expect off a FB pitted against one of the comps best young forwards?
    If it was Keath we'd be singing his praises.

I'm a Collins fan, be pretty happy if he was playing for us and performed like that.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s considered a block?

Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge did say he did not want to comment any further before he checked the footage before he made any inquiries to the umpires

Mountain out of a mole hill.

Barrett hates us

Cornes can't help himself to have a dig at us.

If anyone watched the press conference , the same question was asked 3 times to Luke, and he clearly said he was not going to elaborate anything further until he checked the footage.

The news media cycle is about headlines and negativity. How thick must they be if they could not read between the lines ?

Is the quality of press so diluted that they try to sensationalize everything?

21. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post