Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  302
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Crikey
    It's worse. North have released a statement see here

In summary:

North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood has released a statement regarding Tarryn Thomas.Thomas has been accused by multiple women of harassment, assault and threatening behaviour.
    Hood said they take the allegations seriously and that Thomas co-operated with the AFL regarding the incidents.

However, they will not be taking any further action against the player at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's worse. North have released a statement see here

In summary:
    Well lets not jump the gun, it's only multiple women. Once it's a hoard we'll suspend him for 4 weeks.

3. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't want them to support him in trying to make a change?

I'm not sure what we want here - we want the person to acknowledge their behaviour and rehabilitate it but at the same time we want to take the safety net out of the way whilst they do that?

Footy should be the least of his concerns right now but I would like to think his employer should work with him rather than simply cast him out. I have no idea about Taryn Thomas and his background but right now I think he needs help...as (of course) do any of the victims of his alleged behaviour.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I'm not sure what we want here - we want the person to acknowledge their behaviour and rehabilitate it but at the same time we want to take the safety net out of the way whilst they do that?

Footy should be the least of his concerns right now but I would like to think his employer should work with him rather than simply cast him out. I have no idea about Taryn Thomas and his background but right now I think he needs help...as (of course) do any of the victims of his alleged behaviour.
    You're absolutely right but this behaviour should have repercussions at his workspace as well - particularly one so in the public eye.

I'd rather they stand him down from all competition (intra club etc) but allow him to continue training. I dunno, it's a hard one but there needs to be a punishment/support balance there.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The support clubs can provide players is enormous and agree that he needs help and support at the moment. It's a terrible look but probably very complex.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Career ending, season ending, or swept under the rug? Unbelievable that he has had no disciplinary action.

I am not suggesting the allegations against Thomas are true, only that they have been made.
    https://www.bigfooty.com/2023/02/dr-...v-allegations/

An attempt at sweeping it under the rug.
    That rug's getting pretty high so it may not work
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Tarryn Thomas' repeated pattern of (alleged) abusive and predatory behaviour and the miniscule media coverage it has received to date seems to be in sharp contrast to Jordan De Goey's filmed one-off and consentual (albeit tacky) behaviour in Bali last year and the massive outrage that received at the time. I'm not condoning De Goey by a long shot, but the hysteria from last year was over the top by the usual holier-than-thou pious media mouthpieces, the same ones who have not yet uttered a word about Thomas.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, Bulldog Joe, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe in rehabilitation. You still face consequences for your behaviour as part of that. I assume we both agree you can't just 'harass, assault and threaten' women, especially as a somewhat famous young man that much younger men will look up to in a society with a major domesic abuse problem, and literally do nothing aside from offer 'education'.

I'm not exactly advocating to throw the guy in jail here and he's getting off lighter that most people probably would if they were publicly accused of the same thing. I bet most of our employers wouldn't develop a "significant and multi-layered program which includes respectful relationships education, working with psychologists, mentoring, peer support and community outreach" for us.

I will admit my judgement me be a bit affected by my current view of North post the Clarkson accusations, but I don't think I'm being unfair even taking that into account.

12. Likes Bulldog4life, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I believe in rehabilitation. You still face consequences for your behaviour as part of that. I assume we both agree you can't just 'harass, assault and threaten' women, especially as a somewhat famous young man that much younger men will look up to in a society with a major domesic abuse problem, and literally do nothing aside from offer 'education'.

I'm not exactly advocating to throw the guy in jail here and he's getting off lighter that most people probably would if they were publicly accused of the same thing. I bet most of our employers wouldn't develop a "significant and multi-layered program which includes respectful relationships education, working with psychologists, mentoring, peer support and community outreach" for us.

I will admit my judgement me be a bit affected by my current view of North post the Clarkson accusations, but I don't think I'm being unfair even taking that into account.
    I get a bit jaded with the idea that in 2023 any person needs educating that things like this IF TRUE are unacceptable:

● Telling a woman he wanted to beat her and calling her names such as “a slut”.

● Throwing a lamp at a woman in a hotel room.

● Sending threatening text messages, declaring “your time is coming” and that he was “going to bash” a woman’s friend.

These aren’t exactly finely nuanced and delicate new developments in gender relations.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I get a bit jaded with the idea that in 2023 any person needs educating that things like this IF TRUE are unacceptable:

● Telling a woman he wanted to beat her and calling her names such as “a slut”.

● Throwing a lamp at a woman in a hotel room.

● Sending threatening text messages, declaring “your time is coming” and that he was “going to bash” a woman’s friend.

These aren’t exactly finely nuanced and delicate new developments in gender relations.
    I'll be honest I held back a bit for not knowing the details of the behavour, just what was in the statement. I'm guessing if you do those things there's some level of self delusion going on to convince yourself you're not a bad person. Being a semi-celebrity probably doesn't help either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Take his mobile?
    They'll put Tarryn in the panic room till this blows over.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear that Thomas has now stepped away from the club?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah he has they just posted a statement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogfan View Post
    Yeah he has they just posted a statement

From Twitter

North Melbourne FC @NMFCOfficial

Tarryn Thomas will take time away from the club, after the AFL's integrity unit informed North Melbourne of a new allegation of inappropriate behaviour.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly Thomas has a some problems to deal with and the club should try and help him but with sponsors that put some behavioural clauses into into their contracts and an AFLW program the club it's an exceptionally bad look for North not to have acted a bit quicker given the complaints were increasing and the way it appears some women have been disrespected.

Robbo wrote a piece on the differences between the sanctions placed on DeGoey and the slow response to addressing the complaints with Thomas and I think it's a point well made by Robbo.