Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Is "SUB" a position???

Is "SUB" a position?

What are the characteristics of a good sub?

To me - young players as the sub simply does not work. They come on and it takes them too long to pick up the pace of the game...they make mistakes and it costs teams badly. As I noted on another thread, subbing Erasmus into the game 100% contributed to Freo losing to Port by a kick a couple of weeks back.

But if that is what doesn't work, what DOES work???

My thoughts:
    - Sub MUST be able to go into CBD. No point having a sub who cannot influence at the source with fresh legs/energy.
    - Sub MUST be a 'link' style player. Subs need to RUN - no point having a contested ball winner...it's LEGS that are the differentiator...get someone on who can RUN and Link Up (by hand or by foot).
    - Sub MUST have the capacity and WANT to kick a goal. You want a sub who pushes hard forward and looks to change the course of a game.

I think we have three (yep, 3) sub candidates on our list right now:

1/. Caleb. He could be the best sub the world has ever seen. Bring him on 10-minutes into the 3rd...
    2/. Baker. Runs, kicks goals. COULD go to CBD if we got him to craft with that group.
    3/. Scott. Runs, kicks goals. See above re- CBD.

I think West and Weightman also fit the bill, but they are starting 18 fixtures rn.

Those 3-players probably hate being singled out, but if you believe it is an important role, well...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is "SUB" a position???

I agree with the sub being a position and most of what you said about the player traits you want in one.

CB attendance is absolutely essential and has been the one constant in players who have been able to influence a contest as a sub. Jack Carroll for the Blues had an awesome game as the sub against Brisbane I think, where he came on and was at every centre bounce from the time he came into the game. Sam Berry pretty much won Adelaide their game against Carlton as the sub from his stoppage work. And Caleb as the sub was super dangerous.

So basically I think it has to be either an inside mid or a player capable as playing as one that can expose some tired legs and limited rotations. All the other stuff is more nice to have, but a clearance player is the best way to use it and make a real difference with it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

So on our list that would be Daniel, Garcia, Harmes (ew), and maybe Scott. Don’t really think Baker can do it nor do I want to find out in real time.

Post Thanks / Like

Tend to agree with those listed players. That said Scott seems right on the outer now so not sure what's happening there. Could cover for most injuries too.

I mentioned the sub role for Caleb in my Caleb thread but no one seemed to really pick up on that as a role for him. I think it would suit him a lot though

Post Thanks / Like

Gia says an emphatic "yes"
    These days... no.

In a sub I do think you need experience - a kid who doesn't have experience in more than one part of the ground can't plug a hole' well in the event of injury. I'd love to know what % of games a sub is activated early due to injury, so for that reason you absolutely need to pick someone who can run a game out if need be.

CD is a unique one as I'd normally argue you need pace to be a good sub but he's effective in all three parts of the ground. I'd have Scott above Baker as he's played everywhere. I'd argue if he wasn't best 22, JJ might be the best sub we have as we can always roll others players into CBAs if need be (esp. now that Richards is a legitimate option too), he has pace and has played forward and back and importantly he carries the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So on our list that would be Daniel, Garcia, Harmes (ew), and maybe Scott. Don’t really think Baker can do it nor do I want to find out in real time.
    Baker kicks goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Baker kicks goals.
    He also kicks it to me in Row F about as frequently.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He also kicks it to me in Row F about as frequently.
    He did against Essendon.

Not sure it's a totally fair generalisation though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Baker is a really limited ball user and an increasingly frustrating guy the higher the intensity of a game gets. I don’t really trust him on field.