Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  307
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yep, how the hell did they get themselves to this point!?
    Gremlins so deleted.

Post Thanks / Like

We kind of went through small patches of it during 2002-2004 and 2013-2014 when it felt like we were headed for some long term pain and obscurity but this is next level. This is early year expansion club shitness.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yep, how the hell did they get themselves to this point!?
    Rhyce Shaw went the scorched earth policy.

They also have made some really dumb recruiting decisions : Polec, Stephenson, Will Philips before Logan Mcdonald (wtf).

When you see Mason Wood getting a game for the Saints you really have to question what is going on.

They delisted Pittard and Macmillan who were in their leadership group!

Marley Williams surely would still get a game for them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We kind of went through small patches of it during 2002-2004 and 2013-2014 when it felt like we were headed for some long term pain and obscurity but this is next level. This is early year expansion club shitness.
    Considering they're already playing down in Hobart... You'd have to wonder if the AFL are having that conversation.

I hope not personally but they really need to turn it around next year and be competitive.

Huge off season for their future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

They also have made some really dumb recruiting decisions : Polec, Stephenson, Will Philips before Logan Mcdonald (wtf).

When you see Mason Wood getting a game for the Saints you really have to question what is going on.

The names you’re mentioning are part of their long term issues: they haven’t had enough (any?) senior players (25+) leading the way over the last 5 years. They cut a lot of dead wood and were still left with a bunch of scrubs.

I mean, they let Shaun Atley play 200+ games of AFL footy! And have allowed certified bog average Jack Ziebell to captain them for years.

The list management has been a disaster.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The names you’re mentioning are part of their long term issues: they haven’t had enough (any?) senior players (25+) leading the way over the last 5 years. They cut a lot of dead wood and were still left with a bunch of scrubs.

I mean, they let Shaun Atley play 200+ games of AFL footy! And have allowed certified bog average Jack Ziebell to captain them for years.

Yep I reckon list management over everything else they've been clear 18th for the last 5-10 years and it's evident now by their performances.

They are a draft and develop side (no big name is going there - although Dusty was close I believe) so they need to make that their 1 wood.

They realised that I think but then cut waaaay too deep thinking they'd bounce back via youth and maybe some mid range trades along the way but they sucked the soul out of the joint.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think the current coaching group is blameless in this. They actually showed a bit of promise towards the end of last year and have gone drastically backwards. Tarryn Thomas has gone from one of the funnest players in the AFL to one of the saddest in the VFL. Larkey and Zurrhar are back to only trying when they feel like it. Stephenson broke his hip doing the milk crate challenge probably and now he looks scared of everything again. Will Phillips is becoming smaller with every passing day. JHF already hates everyone and everything. There appears to be nothing resembling standards or positive reinforcement for struggling players coming from anywhere.

Their list management has been truly horrendous too. Burning primo picks on guys like CCJ and Stephenson to play them in the twos. Clearing out 13 pieces of driftwood doesn’t really achieve anything if you only end up replacing them with guys like Bosenavulagi, Lachie Young and the already delisted Connor Menadue. And I really think they only passed on McDonald because they had no confidence in their ability to retain him, as they have no confidence in themselves as a club.

If they’re good again within a decade I’d be shocked.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also don’t get me started on them selfishly hoarding Goldstein at the end of 2020 instead of doing the right thing and trading him to us for Young, who they must not have seen play before trading for him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes Grantysghost, Sedat, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to wonder on the wisdom of having Clayton calling the shots on trades and recruitment.

They've got a decent and loyal membership base and I think they're debt free but they aren't well managed at all.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don’t think the current coaching group is blameless in this. They actually showed a bit of promise towards the end of last year and have gone drastically backwards. Tarryn Thomas has gone from one of the funnest players in the AFL to one of the saddest in the VFL. Larkey and Zurrhar are back to only trying when they feel like it. Stephenson broke his hip doing the milk crate challenge probably and now he looks scared of everything again. Will Phillips is becoming smaller with every passing day. JHF already hates everyone and everything. There appears to be nothing resembling standards or positive reinforcement for struggling players coming from anywhere.

Their list management has been truly horrendous too. Burning primo picks on guys like CCJ and Stephenson to play them in the twos. Clearing out 13 pieces of driftwood doesn’t really achieve anything if you only end up replacing them with guys like Bosenavulagi, Lachie Young and the already delisted Connor Menadue. And I really think they only passed on McDonald because they had no confidence in their ability to retain him, as they have no confidence in themselves as a club.

If they’re good again within a decade I’d be shocked.
    And was Rhyce Shaw of sound mind when he cut 35 players?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also don’t get me started on them selfishly hoarding Goldstein at the end of 2020 instead of doing the right thing and trading him to us for Young, who they must not have seen play before trading for him.

14. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You have to wonder on the wisdom of having Clayton calling the shots on trades and recruitment.

They've got a decent and loyal membership base and I think they're debt free but they aren't well managed at all.
    Do you think there's a chance they'll be relocated? Or is that no longer a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there's a chance they'll be relocated? Or is that no longer a thing.
    They seem to be chips in on staying in Melbourne and it would be questionable if Tasmania would embrace them.
    I think they stay in Melbourne but they are a long way off being relevant.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Phillips looks like a really bad selection at this point. Is he even playing?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst true, even poor sides need some 'semi' capable players to keep them somewhat competitive / protect the kids.

Williams, Pittard, Wood etc. are all better than half their list.

I mean, they go out and recruit Lachie Young. Why? Just because you're young, it doesn't mean you'll become good.

Horrific list management.
    W00F!