Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  302
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Phillips looks like a really bad selection at this point. Is he even playing?
    Haven't seen him might be injured.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been injured, while it was a reach to select him so early it should work out for them OK.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst true, even poor sides need some 'semi' capable players to keep them somewhat competitive / protect the kids.

Williams, Pittard, Wood etc. are all better than half their list.

I mean, they go out and recruit Lachie Young. Why? Just because you're young, it doesn't mean you'll become good.

Horrific list management.
    I sort of get why they went for younger players from other teams as they would be hoping the come on quicker than draftees especially with later picks. It hasn't worked for them but it might have been on the hope one or two of them become good footballers and even if they don't it hasn't cost them much.

Attracting bigger names has been the challenge for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Question - Is David Noble any good?

He was an assistant at the Bulldogs for 5 years including taking the reserves to a premiership, but that was 20 years ago.

Coaching Record

Coaching and administrative careerFollowing his successful captain-coaching stint at Upwey-Tecoma, Noble began a coaching career in the TAC Cup, serving as assistant coach at the newly established Oakleigh Chargers, then senior coach at the NSW/ACT Rams. He then joined AFL club the Western Bulldogs for five years from 1998-2002, serving as an assistant coach over that time as well as the reserves coach in 1998 and 1999, winning one reserves premiership.[1]

In 2003, Noble moved to South Australia, and served as senior coach at Glenelg in the SANFL in 2003 and 2004, but did not take the club to finals. He then joined the AFL's Adelaide Crows and spent more than a decade at the club, serving as assistant coach (2005-10), list manager (2011-13) and head of football (2014-16). He was an integral part of the club’s eight finals campaigns over that ten year period.[1] In September 2016, he left Adelaide and moved to become the Brisbane Lions General Manager of Football, serving there for four years and overseeing the Lions' return to finals football.[2]

In 2021, after ten years in administrator, Noble returned to coaching and became the senior coach of North Melbourne.[3] Taking over a club which had finished second-last in 2020, Noble led the club to the wooden spoon in 2021.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

He was an assistant at the Bulldogs for 5 years including taking the reserves to a premiership, but that was 20 years ago.

Coaching Record
    I don't think he is a good coach but it was an awful time to come to North Melbourne. The list is in awful shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think he is a good coach but it was an awful time to come to North Melbourne. The list is in awful shape.
    Why haven't they given him the lemonade? Seriously there are a lot of good assistants waiting for their chance.

Would they want to go there is the question!

Post Thanks / Like

He was diagnosed with glandular fever in March this year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    He was diagnosed with glandular fever in March this year.
    Complete bust

You know who doesn't have glandular fever.

The fine human specimen that is Logan Mcdonald.

Philips always felt like a second round pick due to his size. Do they never learn?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure about his motivational methods. He has apologies to the players several times for the way he spoke to them.

I think North have some real issues here.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Coaching Record
    He wasn't that pleasant as a coach when he was at the Chargers in the mid-nineties. If he hasn't changed then I reckon he'd be difficult to get behind.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He wasn't that pleasant as a coach when he was at the Chargers in the mid-nineties. If he hasn't changed then I reckon he'd be difficult to get behind.
    As I mentioned above, he has had a to apologise to the players several times due to what he said to them, so I don't think he has changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course he’s crap. No one any good wants to drink from that poisoned chalice.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, how the hell did they get themselves to this point!?

Does it go back to when Scott got rid of most of the experienced players on the list and in doing so virtually gave the players who were left an endorsement/reason to be rubbish and take a few thrashings the next season?

Once the idea spreads amongst a playing group that getting your arse handed to you on a plate week after week is OK it can be hard to change that mindset.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Does it go back to when Scott got rid of most of the experienced players on the list and in doing so virtually gave the players who were left an endorsement/reason to be rubbish and take a few thrashings the next season?

Once the idea spreads amongst a playing group that getting your arse handed to you on a plate week after week is OK it can be hard to change that mindset.
    After they cleared the decks it meant a lot of average players got a pay bump. I suspect that hasn't worked for them either.

15. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After they cleared the decks it meant a lot of average players got a pay bump. I suspect that hasn't worked for them either.
    A couple of the players they got rid of in that sweep were genuine club legends too and from what you hear the communication around their departure wasn't very good. If a bloke like Boomer Harvey turns up to the footy club one day to be told virtually out of the blue something like "mate you're being delisted at the end of the season, anyway I've got something real important to do over there so I'll catch you later. If you want to discuss it I think the boot studder might have some time on his hands" then what message does that send to the rest of the group?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

17. Likes macca liked this post