Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  302
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

North fans hate Essendon so it's doubly sweet for them. Let them enjoy today, it's been a rough few years for them
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes 1eyedog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    North fans hate Essendon so it's doubly sweet for them. Let them enjoy today, it's been a rough few years for them
    I don’t mind North. I’ve found their fans humble and ok. A smaller vic club with working class roots, like us. Happy for them. Will be interesting to see how Clarko goes. Wonder if the romance of having payed for them (& possibly board members who played with him if that’s the case) may have contributed ever so slightly to his decision? Probably not, but not impossible.

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Old Tom Browne reporting

Clarkson has made his first big move at North, parting ways with the footy boss Daniel McPherson.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Clarkson has made his first big move at North, parting ways with the footy boss Daniel McPherson.
    Wouldn't the footy boss be Clarkson boss?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I thought they said he doesn't start until Nov 1st which is part of the Hawthorn agreement.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I thought they said he doesn't start until Nov 1st which is part of the Hawthorn agreement.
    Also: Assistant coaches Heath Younie and Anthony Rocca have also left the club

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a bit of speculation that Simon Dalrymple might be heading to North.
    That would be a significant coup for them in a revitalized Footy department.

Post Thanks / Like

Massive coup if true

Swans have picked very good kids with him in the team

Post Thanks / Like

That is a huge get.

We've had a few off field staff get away.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wouldn't the footy boss be Clarkson boss?
    You would think so, but maybe that was one of his conditions of joining

Post Thanks / Like

On Fox Sports

North Melbourne has asked the AFL for a larger playing list as part of an assistance package that would also include priority draft picks, reports AFL Media.

The Kangaroos began meeting with the league to bid for help in July, days after they beat Richmond, and have since gone on to claim their second consecutive wooden spoon.

Previous reports have stated the Kangaroos are keen to land draft points over multiple seasons, meaning a number of lower picks, rather than a high selection such as Pick 1 (which was given to Gold Coast in 2019).

But they’re also keen to be given an increased rookie list, following in the footsteps of the Suns’ 2019 assistance package.

At that time Gold Coast was allowed to list up to 10 extra rookies, meaning extra chances at finding diamonds in the rough. Connor Budarick and Malcolm Rosas were among those added to their rookie list at that time.

North Melbourne is said to be seeking two extra spots on its list along with draft picks.

A decision is likely to be made in the week before the Grand Final giving them a couple of weeks to make calls ahead of the trade period.

The Kangaroos reportedly used the examples of Gold Coast in 2019, Carlton in 2018 and Brisbane in 2016 as a basis for their proposal.

The Suns’ 2019 assistance package included picks 1 and 20 in the 2019 draft, pick 11 in 2020 and pick 19 in 2021, plus pre-access to Academy prospects and an increased rookie list.

The Blues, off eight wins in two seasons and five years without finals footy, were allowed to pre-list two state league players.

The Lions were given pick 19 in the 2016 draft following 14 wins across three seasons.

North Melbourne has won six games with a draw over the last two seasons, plus three wins in the shortened 2020 campaign.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez some rules about priority picks and other assistance would be good. I can see the rationale for a larger rookie list but I’d also love to see a set of triggers and limits for it set down somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Geez some rules about priority picks and other assistance would be good. I can see the rationale for a larger rookie list but I’d also love to see a set of triggers and limits for it set down somewhere.
    The AFL is probably reluctant to do it because it might also trigger tanking speculation.
    The way North dismantled their side a few years back was a very risky move that obviously hasn't worked out for them and the AFL need to consider if having an noncompetitive side is acceptable.
    They've got the number one pick and not much else this year to work with and while Clarkson will get them a couple of decent established players it may not be enough to make any inroads.

Perhaps an end of first round priority pick and two extra list spots will help them.
    They may look to split pick one to given them some more trade and draft currency. They may also look to move on Horne-Francis

Post Thanks / Like

I can see more value in the rookie list because it doesn't impact other clubs draft hands and if successful increases the overall tallent pool in the league.

TBH I think having a larger rookie list for every club would be valuable. Or maybe just larger playing lists. But you'd need to increase the soft cap so clubs have the capacity to actually handle the extra players I'd imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I can see more value in the rookie list because it doesn't impact other clubs draft hands and if successful increases the overall tallent pool in the league.
    Could be other benefits too. If they are seriously considering bringing in a Tassie team allowing every team to have another 4 rookies would be a good way to get 72 extra players into the system before they have to dilute the pool again.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right