Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

North CEO has resigned. Ben Amarfio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    North CEO has resigned. Ben Amarfio.
    Not popular among North fans.
    Nor Cricket Australia a few years back either.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Not popular at Austereo before that as well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Lawyers for CA and Channel 7 like him.

He is the main reason why CA and Channel 7 are in court over the current TV rights.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His old man, Kimpo, was a top fighter in the 50s and 60s. He fought the Main Event on the first ever TV Ringside, August 8, 1966 and knocked out Arthur Thomas in Rd 1 with a crisp left hook.

http://www.sportenote.com/vedi_dettagli.asp?id=60867
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

8. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    His old man, Kimpo, was a top fighter in the 50s and 60s. He fought the Main Event on the first ever TV Ringside, August 8, 1966 and knocked out Arthur Thomas in Rd 1 with a crisp left hook.

http://www.sportenote.com/vedi_dettagli.asp?id=60867
    I notice that one of his trainers wayJack Rennie. When I was at high school I was doing an assignment about Lionel Rose so I looked up Jack's phone number in the old White Pages and rang him up.

The person who answered the phone said he wasn't there at the time but took my number and said he'd give me a call if he got a chance. I remember thinking "oh yeah, sure thing" but that night the phone rang and Jack Rennie spent 45 minutes discussing Lionel Rose with me. Best assignment I ever did!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I notice that one of his trainers wayJack Rennie. When I was at high school I was doing an assignment about Lionel Rose so I looked up Jack's phone number in the old White Pages and rang him up.

The person who answered the phone said he wasn't there at the time but took my number and said he'd give me a call if he got a chance. I remember thinking "oh yeah, sure thing" but that night the phone rang and Jack Rennie spent 45 minutes discussing Lionel Rose with me. Best assignment I ever did!
    Great dude to do an assignment on TD. I remember Lionel beating "Fighting Harada" to win the world championship.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Great dude to do an assignment on TD. I remember Lionel beating "Fighting Harada" to win the world championship.
    Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but didn't "Fammo" also fight and beat Harada.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but didn't "Fammo" also fight and beat Harada.
    Correct.

Lionel in 1968 - Bantam weight

Johnny in 1969 Feather weight
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Correct.

With both winning in Tokyo.

Fammo had an earlier title defence against Harada in Sydney and was awarded a points win by referee Willie Pep as the sole arbiter.

The home crowd booed the decision and made Fammo determined to give Harada another shot in Tokyo. He was also pretty determined to prove himself worthy and won by KO in round 14 (I think)
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I couldn't believe it when my dad knocked on the door of my room and said "there's a bloke who reckons he's Jack Rennie on the phone wanting to speak to you"

My dad worked at the council with Barry Michael. One night many years ago at Docklands we were on the lift when Barry got in. He saw my dad and said "giddaye Norris. How are you mate? Geez it's good to see you" Dad's looked at him and given him the old "err, yeah! Giddaye ummmm, mate"

After we'd walked away I said "you don't know who that is do you?" Dad said "yeah. I worked with him at the council" "Yep. He's the featherweight World Champ too dad"

I told that story during dad's eulogy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes EasternWest, mjp, Bulldog4life, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Yes Jeanette been answered for you correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Correct.

Strangely the 2 never fought each other despite pleas from the public and a promise of a big purse.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...14-p5bi48.html

Hawthorn’s contractual warning to Clarkson

Hawthorn have cautioned Alastair Clarkson about not violating his contractual obligations to the Hawks - under which he is still owed $450,000 - before the four-time premiership coach takes over as North Melbourne’s senior coach.

Sources familiar with the situation have confirmed that a Hawthorn official contacted Clarkson’s manager, James Henderson, to remind Clarkson that the agreement between the coach and the club barred him from poaching staff, players, or sponsors, in what was clearly a shot across the coach’s bow.

Clarkson is due to be paid about $450,000 - the second tranche of his $900,000 payout for his 2022 contract with Hawthorn - but the money is not to be paid until early or mid-November, after Clarkson has assumed his duties as North Melbourne coach.

Sources suggested that the phone call to Henderson - from Hawthorn’s head of legal, risk and integrity, ex-player Nick Holland - was prompted in-part by Clarkson wearing North Melbourne gear, with his new club’s major sponsor Mazda on the polo shirt, at the media conference announcing his appointment.

While it is plain to all within football that Clarkson is already influential in North’s football planning - having had his lieutenant and friend Todd Viney join the Kangaroos, and with the coach contacting a raft of players from other clubs - the severance agreement with Hawthorn has clauses that essentially prevent him from chasing Hawthorn staff, players and sponsors.

The Hawks, however, did not object to North Melbourne hiring ex-Hawthorn football official Cam Matthews in an upgraded role at North Melbourne, despite the obvious connection to Clarkson.

Clarkson also still has possession of a Nissan, a Hawks sponsor, as part of his employment conditions with Hawthorn. He is not due to start work at North Melbourne until November 1, a start date that was forced by his arrangement with Hawthorn, with the agreement with the Hawks in place until October 31.

The extent to which Hawthorn could enforce those contractual conditions on Clarkson, before he starts work at Arden Street, is debatable, given that North Melbourne could hire people - or recruit players - from Hawthorn in a way that is technically independent of Clarkson, even if he had relationships with those people.

Sources suggest that Hawthorn was acting, to some degree, to keep Clarkson away from their players and/or staff, knowing that he was still owed half of his payout, and that the driven coach has a track record of pursuing people he knows and rates highly, such as Viney.

Hawthorn owed Clarkson $900,000 as a result of the coach leaving the club with a year on his contract, with the parties agreeing to split the payout into two tranches, paid 12 months apart.

Sources said the AFL allowed Hawthorn to spread the payout into three lots of $300,000 - meaning that the Hawks will still be counting a third of Clarkson’s deal in the 2023 soft cap on football spending. The league permitted Hawthorn to spread the payout over three years, rather than one or two, in recognition that Clarkson signed a pre-pandemic contract, before the soft cap was crunched from $9.7m to (initially) $6.2m (it will be about $7m, not counting exemptions, in 2023).

The caution about Clarkson’s contractual obligations to the Hawks is arguably another instance of the fierce coach’s sometimes turbulent relationship with the club’s no less forceful president Jeff Kennett, who is stepping down from the presidency at the end of this year. Kennett strongly backed the coaching succession to Sam Mitchell, and then the fast-tracking of the handover when all parties decided it was problematic to have Clarkson coaching in 2022 with Mitchell in the wings and appointed for the long term.

Post Thanks / Like

North’s draft assistance package

The AFL has granted North Melbourne future draft picks that must be traded for listed players as part of a special assistance package approved today.

The AFL has handed the Kangaroos a 2023 second and 2023 third round pick that must be traded to another club or clubs, for at least one player, under a draft assistance package aimed at making North Melbourne more competitive quickly.

The AFL also gave North the right to an additional two rookies on the list - a measure aimed at allowing the club to keep younger players while bringing in more mature talent.

Sources familiar with the AFL’s draft assistance for the Roos said the future picks had to be used in trades this year or they would cease to exist.
    The league wanted to help North Melbourne without penalising rival clubs, and they did not want the Kangaroos to stockpile draft picks.

The assistance package can be used to help the Kangaroos complete deals for players they are recruiting during the trade period - such as Fremantle’s Griffin Logue, who intends to cross to Arden Street on a five-year deal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.