Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  307
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

link

Alastair Clarkson threatened a female reporter in an incident that prompted mediation between the North Melbourne coach and Channel 9.

Clarkson told reporter Elisabeth Moss “your time will come” in an outburst on February 1st as the media descended on Arden Street in the wake of allegations Tarryn Thomas threatened and intimidated multiple women.

Incredibly, Clarkson’s comment is similar to the one Thomas allegedly made among a series of threatening text messages to women as detailed to the AFL integrity unit.

A rattled Moss informed Nine chiefs of the incident, which led to a remorseful Clarkson driving into the network’s Docklands offices for a meeting.

Clarkson then apologised.

Letters were exchanged, with a formal apology from North Melbourne put in writing.

The matter is now considered closed.

In a statement provided exclusively to SEN, Clarkson said he acted to “protect our players and staff”.

Read the statement below:

“I was involved in an incident with a Channel Nine News reporter on the day the news broke about the allegations against Tarryn Thomas.

“There was a significant media pack at the club that day who were actively targeting players, staff and coaches throughout the session and my reaction was to protect our players and staff.

“To my great regret, I overreacted to the Nine News reporter and made one comment to her along the lines of ‘your time will come’. That comment was in reference to facing intense scrutiny when you’re in the public eye and how challenging that can be.

“When I was made aware of the impact of my comment, I sought to apologise immediately to the reporter not realising how my words could have been perceived. I also opted to make that apology in person rather than by phone, in the presence of the reporter and two of her senior colleagues at Channel Nine headquarters later that day. The journalist accepted my apology and we agreed to move forward.” – Alastair Clarkson

Clarkson agreed to coach North Melbourne amid much fanfare last August, turning down interest from Essendon.

He remains the subject of an investigation into claims of racism at Hawthorn.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"Outburst"
    "Threat"
    "Rattled"

It is embarrassing but utterly predicable how the AFEL media sensationalise and use hyperbole and hysterical buzzwords pertaining to what was one isolated comment in an hour long media event. It was one comment and he apologied for it.

Bit of a microcosm of how the modern gutter media world works.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    "Outburst"
    "Threat"
    "Rattled"

It is embarrassing but utterly predicable how the AFEL media sensationalise and use hyperbole and hysterical buzzwords pertaining to what was one isolated comment in an hour long media event. It was one comment and he apologied for it.

Bit of a microcosm of how the modern gutter media world works.
    Hmm - not sure I agree Sedat. (it's unusual).

Your time will come? That's very threatening language. What is that, a death threat or a threat of assault to a woman??

If anything I think there's been a lack of coverage considering it happened a while ago. Nine could've run with it for sure.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Your time will come? That's very threatening language. What is that, a death threat or a threat of assault to a woman??

If anything I think there's been a lack of coverage considering it happened a while ago. Nine could've run with it for sure.
    GG, you can and should disagree with me whenever you feel - life would be duller than Dunks' insta feed without healthy debate and differences of opinion.

I did say earlier in the thread his language was too strong and he should have apologised, which he duly did. Would be nice to know what the reporter said to him initially - that informtion never seems to be available in these stories for some reason.

Would the words be considered too stong if it was directed at a Robbo or a Barrett? Is this Elizabeth Moss mysoginistically assumed to be a caricature of a "damsel in distress" who cannot hold her own in a confrontation with a senior coach?

This story is a nothing burger IMO.

7. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

If it was a nothing then Clarkson shouldn't apologise, but to threaten a woman like that with the same way Thomo allegedly threatened women is going too far.

Clarkson is actually a grub of the highest order and if you google the number of times he has abused journos, he really has a problem. From his playing days to coaching he needs help with controlling his anger.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GG, you can disagree with me whenever you feel - life would be duller than Dunks' insta feed without healthy debate and differences of opinion.

I did say earlier in the thread his language was too strong and he should have apologised, which he duly did. Would be nice to know what the reporter said to him initially - that informtion never seems to be available in these stories for some reason.

Would the words be considered too stong if it was directed at a Robbo or a Barrett? Is this Elizabeth Moss mysoginistically assumed to be a caricature of a "damsel in distress" who cannot hold her own in a confrontation with a senior coach?

This story is a nothing burger IMO.
    Ah - yes well I did wonder about the possibility of that card being played, however from what I read she was genuinely concerned about the comments and followed the correct procedure to hold him accountable. If Robbo felt the same I'd expect him to report it too.

It appears to have been dealt with to the satisfaction of all concerned, so that should be the end of it, although.....that language is really really concerning as you rightly point out.

This is the same guy who threatened an official at an under 9s game 10 years ago. Learn much?

11. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If it was a nothing then Clarkson shouldn't apologise, but to threaten a woman like that with the same way Thomo allegedly threatened women is going too far.

Clarkson is actually a grub of the highest order and if you google the number of times he has abused journos, he really has a problem. From his playing days to coaching he needs help with controlling his anger.
    Quite a few examples have been moronic questions by the reporters which Clarko has, rather colourfully, called them out on. Maybe he has no tolerance for idiots asking idiotic questions and wasting his time? In this specific instance, it's hard to know without the full context of what was initially asked by the journo - why can't we know this? Do you think he just blurted out "your time will come" without being asked anything?

Anyway scribes dish out much worse and much more often than they receive in kind.

13. Likes GVGjr, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Clarkson is washed and North will not get the success they envision him bringing.

Post Thanks / Like

He's an angry and insensitive guy but if it's been dealt with in a satisfactory manner it's a bit of a non story.
    This is a clear case of journos looking to maximise a story regarding Thomas and an overly assertive coach trying to jump to the defense.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's an angry and insensitive guy but if it's been dealt with in a satisfactory manner it's a bit of a non story.
    This is a clear case of journos looking to maximise a story regarding Thomas and an overly assertive coach trying to jump to the defense.
    The point is what he said is below the belt. Domestic violence towards women is at an all time high and 1 woman is killed every week due to domestic violence.

Good that he said sorry, but maybe next time STFU

18. Likes 1eyedog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite a few examples have been moronic questions by the reporters which Clarko has, rather colourfully, called them out on. Maybe he has no tolerance for idiots asking idiotic questions and wasting his time? In this specific instance, it's hard to know without the full context of what was initially asked by the journo - why can't we know this? Do you think he just blurted out "your time will come" without being asked anything?

Anyway scribes dish out much worse and much more often than they receive in kind.
    Clarko is a Dinosaur from a long forgotten era and shouldn't be coaching. The language is different these days, especially for a coach. I've done a few AFL backed coach programs and they are ALL around appropriate language (esp. for juniors and women) and all around discrimination and vilification. I'm not commenting on what Clarkson has or hasn't done in the past or the present but you can't use the same language you did even 10 years ago to your players (esp. your young players who are probably not used to it), or the media, esp. women. Just ask Justin Langer. That style of coach is gone.

Very poor performance from the highest paid coach in the comp saying 'your time will come' and leaving it hanging to a young woman in the media who is trying to get to the heart of what Thomas has done simply to bring light to domestic violence issues. I encourage women to use any platform to raise awareness about intimindation and violence in society. It happens too many times and has gone on for too long and it has to stop. Women deserve a safe place in the AFL media and in the AFLW and they are constantly being challenged (the former AFLW player being fat-shamed last week, Daisy Pearce being confronted and by scutinized by Dermot and Rex purely because CH7 preferred her over Carey). Don't want Daisy there fine but don't muddy her name, just keep the topic on Carey and why he should have the job. We all know what they were implying.

I don't envy women trying to break into the AFL as journalists / AFLW players it's a mountainous task made all the more harder by a extant boys club and Clarkson should have known better, but he has history in this space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    “To my great regret, I overreacted to the Nine News reporter and made one comment to her along the lines of ‘your time will come’. That comment was in reference to facing intense scrutiny when you’re in the public eye and how challenging that can be.
    Lol.

I thought it was gonna be excused because she wasn't waiting her turn to ask a question or some shit. The reality is exactly as threatening as it sounded in the first place.

To me it reads the same as if Clarkson told her "I'll kill you" but then clarified later that he only meant that at some later point he would murder her.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

21. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Lol.

I thought it was gonna be excused because she wasn't waiting her turn to ask a question or some shit. The reality is exactly as threatening as it sounded in the first place.

To me it reads the same as if Clarkson told her "I'll kill you" but then clarified later that he only meant that at some later point he would murder her.
    That's hilarious

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    How unprofessional for a senior coach to have a go at a journalist
    Should be saved for the toilets.
    "It's over. It's all over."

24. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Should be saved for the toilets.
    Not in this case