Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  307
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Should there be any onus on the team getting the player to pay a draft price in the same way clubs pay draft points for FS/Academy kids? At least that way it's not entirely up to the rest of the league to cover their compensation for them
    I have said that for many years
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have said that for many years
    Over time it seeps into my brain

Post Thanks / Like

Over time it seeps into my brain
    Nah, great minds think alike.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Should there be any onus on the team getting the player to pay a draft price in the same way clubs pay draft points for FS/Academy kids? At least that way it's not entirely up to the rest of the league to cover their compensation for them
    I don't think so.

The AFL wants player movement (and the PA want to enable it) and this would restrict it...

Just make the rules clear so everyone understands.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

At the very least remove the compensation link to ladder position so we don't get ridiculously over and under valued results (eg McKay and Buddy). Mid round or end of round perhaps.

6. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    At the very least remove the compensation link to ladder position so we don't get ridiculously over and under valued results (eg McKay and Buddy). Mid round or end of round perhaps.
    If...ahem... when, we win the flag in 24, and if Naughton was a FA and went to the Hawks, would we simply get pick 19 for him? That'd feel harsh (and we should be locking him away with a tasty contract ASAP).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    If...ahem... when, we win the flag in 24, and if Naughton was a FA and went to the Hawks, would we simply get pick 19 for him? That'd feel harsh (and we should be locking him away with a tasty contract ASAP).
    Under the current system it would be pick 19 (like Buddy). My proposal would actually be pick 10. Fortunately Naughton isn't a free agent next year anyway and even if he was he would be restricted so we could always match and force a trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Pretty straight forward.

Match the offer. Then the competing club is forced to the trade table.

If you KNOW you would get pick 19, then it all becomes pretty simple...

As an aside, clubs being able to TRADE contracted players really does need to become a thing. Player power is actually rampant right now.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes hujsh, Sedat, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North Melbourne records 12th consecutive profit

North Melbourne has continued its run of strong annual financial results, announcing a 12th consecutive profit in the 2023 financial year.

The club achieved an overall consolidated operating profit before redevelopment funding and amortisation of $318,733. The overall net profit was $269,853 for the financial year ending October 31.

Total revenue, excluding redevelopment funding, increased from $44.4m in 2022 to $49.8m.

Growth in revenue was achieved through increased membership revenue, greater match returns, and from an increase in base funding from the AFL due to player payment increases, Gather Round funding and an uplift in variable funding.

Net assets of the club increased to $19.2m from $18.9m in 2022.

This financial year also saw the club achieve its highest ever membership number, with 51,084 North Melbourne members. Significantly, included in that number was a 25 per cent surge in junior members.

The club also enjoyed great corporate support, with major partner Mazda and platinum partner Spirit of Tasmania embarking on the first year of their three-year deals with the club in 2023.

North Melbourne chief executive officer Jennifer Watt said this was an outstanding result given where the club is placed in the AFL performance cycle.

"This is another positive result and a reflection of the strong financial management and good governance of the club over the past 12 years," Watt said.

"We are incredibly fortunate to have such loyal and passionate members and supporters, and our corporate partners have been equally unwavering in their support of the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good on them.

In Happy Days parlance they seemed like the drunk guy at the pub nobody wanted to talk to but was always picking a fight for much of the 00's and 10's, but seem to be just getting on with business now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

While they'll never admit it I think are probably questioning why they missed out on positioning themselves for Daniel Curtin especially now that Aiden Corr will be in a moon boot until the new year and after not really replacing Ben McKay and knowing that Griffin Logue will miss a lot of football in 2024.
    It's very likely they're going to have to be creative with finding replacements for the key defensive spots.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While they'll never admit it I think are probably questioning why they missed out on positioning themselves for Daniel Curtin especially now that Aiden Corr will be in a moon boot until the new year and after not really replacing Ben McKay and knowing that Griffin Logue will miss a lot of football in 2024.
    It's very likely they're going to have to be creative with finding replacements for the key defensive spots.
    They were in a position to get him they just decided on others.

Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh! They'll finish near the bottom of the ladder and then put their hand out for more again. It's about time the AFEL said no.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

So they have no good players, terrible facilities, sell four of their home games and have the money faucet turned on from the AFL?

They’d want to make money, not like the money they bring in is getting spent on anything.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes josie, Mantis liked this post