Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  307
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In the 70s, the VFL changed the rules so the North can win a premiership. They brought in a 10 year rule, which meant any player with 10 years service can up and leave. North acquired about 4 or 5, 10 year players to bolster their team and they ended up winning their first premiership in 75 and another in 77.

They are the Centrelink club, always with hand out and getting pretty much what they want.
    I know about the 10 year rule and it definitely helped North (although it was available to every club - North just used it better), but North did have a pretty strong supporter base in the late 70's to mid 80's. I wonder how much of this was due to the 2 premierships and the Barassi effect? And they continued to have decent support during most of the 80's - due to Krakouer brothers and Friday night footy as I mentioned earlier.

I admired North very much in the 90's because their success was self-made through a fantastic underage pathway system, and they succeeded well beyond other wealthier clubs. But this Carey era success didn't translate to memberships at all (unlike the Barassi era seemed to 20 years earlier).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I know about the 10 year rule and it definitely helped North (although it was available to every club - North just used it better), but North did have a pretty strong supporter base in the late 70's to mid 80's. I wonder how much of this was due to the 2 premierships and the Barassi effect? And they continued to have decent support during most of the 80's - due to Krakouer brothers and Friday night footy as I mentioned earlier.

I admired North very much in the 90's because their success was self-made through a fantastic underage pathway system, and they succeeded well beyond other wealthier clubs. But this Carey era success didn't translate to memberships at all (unlike the Barassi era seemed to 20 years earlier).
    A few things fell their way in the early days and the 10 year change certainly kick started it. They rallied again in the 80's and 90's.

Bob Ansett was a charismatic club chairman and helped make North a very popular team with supporters especially migrants heading to Australia. His exposure with Ansett Transport Industries, Ansett Australia and later with Avis Australia and even Diners Club meant that he was in the news or on advertisements frequently and he kept mentioning North like one of those paid infomercials.
    Once they got their act together on the field, added the equally charismatic Barassi you could barely pick up a paper without seeing North in it. Success bred success and it probably wasn't until the Swans moved to Sydney that a club was more Hollywood than them. They've clearly struggled for a long time but it all started when they cleared out a whole heap of experienced footballers and they've never recovered. Some bad appointments along the way never helped either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A few things fell their way in the early days and the 10 year change certainly kick started it. They rallied again in the 80's and 90's.

Bob Ansett was a charismatic club chairman and helped make North a very popular team with supporters especially migrants heading to Australia. His exposure with Ansett Transport Industries, Ansett Australia and later with Avis Australia and even Diners Club meant that he was in the news or on advertisements frequently and he kept mentioning North like one of those paid infomercials.
    Once they got their act together on the field, added the equally charismatic Barassi you could barely pick up a paper without seeing North in it. Success bred success and it probably wasn't until the Swans moved to Sydney that a club was more Hollywood than them. They've clearly struggled for a long time but it all started when they cleared out a whole heap of experienced footballers and they've never recovered. Some bad appointments along the way never helped either.
    Yep, they had very good business operators pulling the strings in the 70/80's - Bob Ansett, Alan Aylett, Ron Joseph, etc...

It's a bit of an indictment on their 90's senior management that the Carey era (2 premierships, 7 consecutive PF's) failed to impact their financial bottom line. You could say the same for the Hawks circa 1983-91, who almost went under 3-4 years later.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nth need to be up in the 8 like the hawks to survive .
    How I see it.
    Scott and the club obviously had a meeting later in his coaching career on a decision to keep the older players and try and get a flag or trade some out and do a little rebuild. History tells us they decided to keep the older players which looked ok as they were getting to prelims , sadly they didn’t get one and the club lost a lot in retirement and were forced to do a complete rebuild.
    It’s quite the same as Geelong kept the old players but won a flag, now they will drop as the experience goes. ( shown by last year )
    Quite ironic it was brothers.coaching They seemed to have had the same idea or clubs did.
    One it worked one it didn’t .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciated their stance, and taking the lead, on anti-gambling.

9. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Apologies for being pedantic, but Bob Ansett had no relationship with Ansett Industries despite being the son of Reg.

What he did do was take on the big car rentals (Avis and Hertz) with Budget Rent-a-Car. It was a big disrupter to the industry, but I agree he was a charismatic figure.

North had some sound business heads and it also helped that Ron Casey (World of Sport) was a North tragic.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Tarryn Thomas has been handed an 18 week suspension from the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Apparently Tarryn Thomas has been handed an 18 week suspension from the AFL.
    That's a heavy whack and underlines how serious the AFL views this issue
    Thomas has now got a lot of time to have a think about if he wants to be an AFL footballer or not.

Post Thanks / Like

League set to hand down significant Tarryn Thomas suspension

The AFL says its investigation into Tarryn Thomas? latest breaches are ongoing as North Melbourne braces for a long ban which could wipe out most of his 2024 season.

But the AFL has denied it has suspended him for 18 weeks despite reports on Monday, saying the investigation is continuing.

This masthead reported last week the Roos were bracing for a lengthy ban given the significance of his latest transgressions, which came to light after a female came forward to the AFL integrity department in early January.

While Thomas attempted to explain his actions in a meeting with the AFL integrity team a lengthy suspension of over half the season seems likely.

The league told this masthead on Monday it had not come to a resolution of the Thomas matter yet.

The AFL often works with clubs on a likely outcome so it would not surprise if a figure as high as 18 weeks had been discussed among all parties.

Until the AFL hands down its findings, the Roos will continue to wait, as Thomas trains away from the club.

The Roos have clearly run out of patience with Thomas from a long-term perspective and as they seek to improve their culture it seems extremely unlikely he will be at North Melbourne next season.

A lengthy ban would also throw into doubt a potential AFL return this year at Arden Street given he would need to spend time in the VFL to prove his fitness.

Thomas is in the last season of a lucrative contract that pays him around $600,000 this season.

But if he did secure a ban of over half the season the Roos would have a tough decision about whether to potentially look to end his contract or keep him on the list as a player who could be traded in the off-season.

North Melbourne on Monday vowed to dissect the full findings of the AFL integrity department?s probe when it did arrive to decide if he had a future at Arden Street.

Kangaroos footy boss Todd Viney said on Monday the club had not been privy to the fresh allegations and would need some time to work through the findings.

?The reality is we haven?t had the information of what has happened on this last investigation,? Viney said.

?We will take our time to have a look at that (the findings) and see what the AFL has found and have some time to think about our next position.?

The Kangaroos would have to decide if Thomas?s behaviour across the past few seasons could be detrimental to the club?s playing culture, particularly with a young crop of players.

Viney said the Kangaroos had remained in constant contact with Thomas during the process, even though he has been training away from the club.

?We have had conversations with him ? from the mental wellbeing space to see how he is travelling, particularly because he has been away from the club for a long while now.

?It has obviously been taking some time, it has been driven by the AFL and we just haven;?t had the information through this process.

?So until the AFL finalises their information we are in the dark really. We (have been) really comfortable with the time frame, given the nature of the allegations ? because you have to do the right thing.?

The league through its regulations has the power to penalise players through its conduct unbecoming rule.

Thomas last year was initially charged with threatening to distribute an intimate image of another person, with the charge then downgraded by prosecutors to using a carriage service to harass someone.

Thomas escaped a criminal conviction after being granted a diversion and was ordered to pay $1000 to charity.

But it was one of a series of allegations over inappropriate conduct towards women, with Thomas also spending time away from Arden Street over his failure to make progress with the club?s respectful behaviour education program.

He was initially suspended by the Roos last February over ?serious and confronting? threats of violence towards women, with more females then coming forward to detail allegations in subsequent weeks.

The AFL has the powers to deregister players but even Ben Cousins was only suspended for 12 months after being arrested for drug possession in 2007 and refusing to submit to a blood test.

The Roos have been desperate to work with Thomas to better him as a human being who can also have a long and successful career at Arden Street under Alastair Clarkson.

But as a No.8 draft pick with huge potential, if they did lose him they would also be keen for some draft compensation from a rival club.

The latest developments throw that scenario into doubt given his career is hanging by a thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Would any other team choose him? I think if he doesn?t make it back to Roos then thats his career over. You reap what you sow comes to mind. Hope he can find a positive way forward but these charges are a stain he will carry forever I?d imagine, let alone the anguish he appears to have caused multiple women.

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile meth addict Clayton Oliver is set to lineup in rd 0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Would any other team choose him? I think if he doesn?t make it back to Roos then thats his career over. You reap what you sow comes to mind. Hope he can find a positive way forward but these charges are a stain he will carry forever I?d imagine, let alone the anguish he appears to have caused multiple women.
    There would always be a club or two who thinks a distracted player is worth the risk if they have a gap in the list that player could potentially address

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Unless he belts women while on Meth I'm less inclined to care as much

18. Likes azabob, EasternWest, Mofra, lemmon, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Look I am not going to defend the AFL as they are just about brand, it's incidental if it involves doing the 'right thing'.

BUT.... I have drug addicts a few rungs above DV perps.

20. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Look I am not going to defend the AFL as they are just about brand, it's incidental if it involves doing the 'right thing'.

BUT.... I have drug addicts a few rungs above DV perps.
    I can't agree with this. You have opened up a can of worms.

DV Perps are harming other people, Drug takers are harming themselves, and is a sickness, an addiction.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.