Thanks Thanks:  49
Likes Likes:  319
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Wasn't sure where to put this but anyone seen Webster's hit on Simpkin?

Looked a lot worse to me than Powell Peppers hit. 6 weeks i reckon. Simpkin is in his kicking action, Webster leaves his feet and chooses to bump straight to the head. Honestly have some players learnt absolutely nothing re concussions??? It's a horrible hit. He should honestly get months and months out. There's no disguising what he did as any sort of footy act.
    8 weeks for mine, cowards bump.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    8 weeks for mine, cowards bump.
    Id advocate for the removal of the bump and a card system in games for things like that.
    Webster should not have been able to continue.

Bump has been dead for years time to let it go.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Id advocate for the removal of the bump and a card system in games for things like that.
    Webster should not have been able to continue.

Bump has been dead for years time to let it go.
    Tend to agree. Concussion is such a huge focus it just makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaver Greene wouldn’t even take that case on, it’s guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The father of a friend of mine played high level (state) footy and is a bit of a club legend (interstate league).
    I was just talking to the son about this incident and he said he wouldn't let his own son play AFL after seeing the affects of concussions on his dad.

I think removal of the bump is a no brainer (pun intended!)

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't sure where to put this but anyone seen Webster's hit on Simpkin?

Looked a lot worse to me than Powell Peppers hit. 6 weeks i reckon. Simpkin is in his kicking action, Webster leaves his feet and chooses to bump straight to the head. Honestly have some players learnt absolutely nothing re concussions??? It's a horrible hit. He should honestly get months and months out. There's no disguising what he did as any sort of footy act.
    Simpkin is watching the ball drop and Webster hits him in the head with his shoulder. I know things always look worse in Slo Mo but it's impossible to think WTF Webster is thinking or how he thought it would be OK.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Simpkin is watching the ball drop and Webster hits him in the head with his shoulder. I know things always look worse in Slo Mo but it's impossible to think WTF Webster is thinking or how he thought it would be OK.
    The interesting thing about seeing replays in slo-mo making it worse, is it's closer to what the players perceive than the long range two-dimensional video in real time.

Both players were moving quickly, but the amount of time Webster, irrespective of that, had to decide whether he'd maim or otherwise would have seemed like an eternity to him on the field.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Twodogs, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me that bump is a charge and deserves a decent suspension. 5-8 weeks.

It’s significantly worse than Powell Pepper’s bump.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

11. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson expected to apologise after expletive-laden Jimmy Webster rant

Four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson is expected to apologise on Monday after being dragged into the Jimmy Webster bump controversy by aiming an expletive-laden rant at St Kilda players at quarter time on Sunday.

Clarkson was visibly angered by seeing his co-captain Jy Simpkin concussed for the third time since round 12 last year in an incident that will be sent directly to the AFL tribunal on Tuesday.

That incident in the first quarter of the contest occurred on the boundary line with only 60 seconds remaining, as St Kilda and North Melbourne players scuffled before breaking up as Simpkin received medical care.

Clarkson is understood to have told Webster in forceful terms he would receive a lengthy ban, with St Kilda players then firing back in an exchange of words.

The Nine website reported on Monday that Clarkson used the expression ?c---sucker? in an explosive exchange of words with players including Dougal Howard.

North Melbourne did not comment on Monday but this masthead understands he is set to issue a statement on Monday afternoon which will express a level of regret for his choice of words.

The AFL is yet to respond about whether they will become involved, but an apology from Clarkson might be enough for the league to believe it has been adequately handled.

It came as St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said 30-year-old Webster was ?devastated? by the bump after meeting him for coffee on Monday morning.

He said there was ?no defence? for the hit.

?He?s really concerned for Jy. Very remorseful but it was a split second action. It?s very difficult. It?s just a very difficult situation. Really concerned for both lads, in particular Jy because it was a very heavy physical contact. Jimmy?s remorseful,? he said.

Clarkson has long let his temper get the better of him, famously putting his hand through the MCG coaching box in fury in 2012.

He had to be held back by his then-football boss Mark Evans as he verbally attacked Essendon?s Matthew Lloyd in 2009 after Lloyd?s high and late bump broke the cheekbone of Hawthorn?s Brad Sewell.

A security guard alleged Clarkson told Lloyd: ?You had better f---- retire you f---- weak c---.? Clarkson was hit with a $5000 fine, suspended for two years following the incident.

In 2012, he admitted to swearing at a junior football club official when he was told to leave the ground while organising his son Matthew?s Under-19s team.

?During the conversation with the league official, I used a couple of expletives and I apologise to the official for the language used,? Clarkson said.

It continues a nasty aftermath to a horrific incident with Webster?s family posting insensitive messages on private facebook posts about the incident.

Those messages have since been deleted but with Webster likely to contact Simpkin to express his regret only fan the flames in what is another test case for the AFL.

The AFL could ask for a ban of up to eight games for Webster, with the league?s hierarchy including executive football boss Laura Kane and legal boss Stephen Meade likely to have their say.

In a case of such consequence it would not surprise if AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon also weighed in on what the league?s advocate should ask for as a sufficient penalty.

AFL match review officer Michael Christian will likely assess the incident as severe impact given the force at which Webster accelerated into Simpkin.

It is then up to the AFL to decide how many weeks it will request as a suspension at the Tuesday tribunal, with tribunal boss Jeff Gleeson and his jury then open to making their own call.

Post Thanks / Like

So out of character!

Just in time for Mardi Gras he brings up a pejorative term.

Hire that man!

14. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The interesting thing about seeing replays in slo-mo making it worse, is it's closer to what the players perceive than the long range two-dimensional video in real time.

Both players were moving quickly, but the amount of time Webster, irrespective of that, had to decide whether he'd maim or otherwise would have seemed like an eternity to him on the field.
    Well he had time to change track into into Simpkin's line/way, brace himself for the impact, turn his body and jump off the ground and into the opposition player so he had plenty of time to think "I really shouldn't be doing this"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So out of character!

Just in time for Mardi Gras he brings up a pejorative term.

Hire that man!
    Has Big Al ever lost his temper before? Trying to think of an example...
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

17. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of all the things to be upset at Clarkson over this is probably at the very bottom of the list.

Post Thanks / Like

The Webster family isn’t coming across to well in this. One of the family apparently works for RSEA and made comments that totally go against care.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if she is sacked.
    And as for Clarkeson he has a history, I wonder when enough is enough.
    It’s a mess all round for both clubs.
    Bring back the biff

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Of all the things to be upset at Clarkson over this is probably at the very bottom of the list.
    I definitely don’t care, but Clarko’s lack of self control has seemingly never improved.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me