Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  302
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    After they cleared the decks it meant a lot of average players got a pay bump. I suspect that hasn't worked for them either.
    They got rid of some of their senior players too early.
    Petrie and Harvey come to mind . Petrie went to have 1 good year in 2017 with WC and might have helped with subsequent 2018 flag. They needed Harvey to help the core midfielders. Apart from Cunnington, I cannot name any mature mids who is a decent player.

Moving Higgins on was the correct move.

2021 delisting
    Taylor Garner Dom Tyson Will Walker Connor Menadue Shaun Atley Trent Dumont Tom Campbell Charlie Ham

Traded in : Callum Coleman-Jones (Trade - Richmond) Hugh Greenwood (Free Agent - North Melbourne) Out Robbie Tarrant (Trade - Richmond)

2020: delisted: Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy

In: Lachie Young,Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi
    Out: Shaun Higgins,Ben Brown

Jury still out on Phillips and Powell. But they don't have the senior players around them to protect their young bodies.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Axe Man, I'd be worried it appears macca is in training for head of list managment at WOOF HQ.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

2021 delisting
    Taylor Garner
    Dom Tyson
    Will Walker
    Connor Menadue
    Shaun Atley
    Trent Dumont
    Tom Campbell
    Charlie Ham
    Yep. Why wouldn't you?

Traded in : Callum Coleman-Jones (Trade - Richmond) Hugh Greenwood (Free Agent - North Melbourne) Out Robbie Tarrant (Trade - Richmond)
    Look like reasonable selections. I wouldn't have bothered with Greenwood but understood the big mid thing and he had an OK year with GC in 2021.

2020: delisted:
    Jamie Macmillan,
    Majak Daw,
    Jasper Pittard,
    Ben Jacobs,
    Paul Ahern,
    Mason Wood,
    Sam Durdin,
    Marley Williams,
    Joel Crocker,
    Lachie Hosie
    Tom Murphy
    I guess Durdin is back now and Wood gets a game (in and out) with the 'aints but, again...why wouldn't you do that? I guess Ahern unlucky after a couple of knees but it isn't a charity.

In: Lachie Young,
    Jaidyn Stephenson,
    Atu Bosenavulagi

The Brown one remains mystifying but aside from that? I liked Young when we had him, Stephenson has 'talent'...I don't think Bosenavulagi can kick so wouldn't have bothered but I think to get Stephenson they had to take him due to the Pies salary cap 'stuff' (Is that Adam Treloar's music??).

I get all the 'they cut too deep' messages but would they be ANY better off with half those players they cut? Is Jasper-Pittard the difference between 1 win and top 4? Phillips over McDonald remains crazy stuff but they were following their Money Ball based player selection model so, well, if you're going to do something like that then I guess you have to go 'all in'. Of course, the driving force behind that plan (Luff) has now himself left so I have zero idea where there plan is. And if you want to suggest that any model suggesting a small mid who hasn't played for 12-months and when he DID play was the 3rd or 4th wheel in a team that featured the #1 and #2 picks from 12-months earlier who were both also mids should be selected over a 195cm key forward playing vs men in the WAFL before his 18th birthday and winning the goal-kicking award is a flawed model then I am here to listen!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Grantysghost, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North Melbourne legend Wayne Carey says the club has no choice but to remove senior coach David Noble this year.

Carey, who captained the club to two premierships, said Geoff Walsh would not baulk the hard decisions which need to be made on the senior coaching position based on the team’s terrible results this season.

Hawthorn premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson would be No.1 target on the replacement wishlist, but it remains unclear if the coaching legend has any interest in returning to Arden St.

But the changes could be more widespread as chief executive Ben Amarfio is also under pressure following the departure of three Roos’ recruiters mid-season.

The Kangaroos lost to Geelong by 112 points on Saturday night and managed only 12 inside 50s after quarter time in their biggest backwards step of the season.

The Roos have become the first team in AFL/VFL history to lose 11 straight games by more than 47 points.

It has prompted renewed calls to give North Melbourne a priority pick on top of recent high selections to welcome Jason Horne-Francis (pick one), Will Phillips (pick two) and Luke Davies-Uniacke (four) in recent years.

Carey said the Roos were paying the price for “some really poor decisions which have been made over a long period of time” and had hit “rock bottom”.

He said the club had to make a senior coaching change for 2023.

“He (Noble) won’t be there,” Carey said on Triple M.

“Results have dictated that. It is pretty plain for everyone to see.

“I think his messaging for me is starting to become confusing and if it is confusing for me listening then it is going to be confusing for the players.

“There is no way he can survive.”

St Kilda great Leigh Montagna agreed. “They need a circuit-breaker. A number of things need to change,” Montagna said.

Carey said respected footy administrator Walsh, who helped make changes at Carlton last year, was the right man to lead the review.

“Everything has got to be a winner from this point on and that is why – with this review with Geoff Walsh – they have got the right guy in there who will call a spade a shovel,” Carey said.

“He has to hit them straight between the eyes with whatever he finds.”

Former Fremantle and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said the club must help support Noble in these tough times.

“I feel for David Noble here,” Lyon said.

“The argument is could they be doing much better? Everyone is looking for some green shoots.

“There just isn’t enough hope for the mess that is there and it hasn’t really recovered since the noise that was around the Brisbane game.

It is a tough business if you haven’t got the talent and he is going into a gunfight with a knife.

“I do feel for him a bit and if they have made the decision that he’s not going to be there they are better off going to him and say ‘Mate, this hasn’t worked, we are starting our hunt (for our replacement), what do you want to do with this?

“’We are worried about your health’ and we have seen it with Mark Neeld before. Don Pyke, Rhyce Shaw. It can get hot in the kitchen.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They got rid of some of their senior players too early.
    Petrie and Harvey come to mind . Petrie went to have 1 good year in 2017 with WC and might have helped with subsequent 2018 flag. They needed Harvey to help the core midfielders. Apart from Cunnington, I cannot name any mature mids who is a decent player.

Moving Higgins on was the correct move.

2021 delisting
    Taylor Garner Dom Tyson Will Walker Connor Menadue Shaun Atley Trent Dumont Tom Campbell Charlie Ham

2020: delisted: Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy

In: Lachie Young,Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi

Jury still out on Phillips and Powell. But they don't have the senior players around them to protect their young bodies.
    Phillips over McDonald at pick 2 looked a howler at the time, and is only looking worse.

Most north fans I know say they should have kept Durdin and the rest of the delistings were spot on.

The club's in real trouble off-field. People forget their entire recruiting team walked out a few weeks ago, and their CEO Ben Armafio left a lot of people unhappy at Cricket Australia and it seems he's doing the same at North. I doubt their coach survives until the end of the season and there's every chance JHF walks out too, if not this year than next year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Phillips over McDonald at pick 2 looked a howler at the time, and is only looking worse.

Most north fans I know say they should have kept Durdin and the rest of the delistings were spot on.

The club's in real trouble off-field. People forget their entire recruiting team walked out a few weeks ago, and their CEO Ben Armafio left a lot of people unhappy at Cricket Australia and it seems he's doing the same at North. I doubt their coach survives until the end of the season and there's every chance JHF walks out too, if not this year than next year.
    I think they have to get a few priority picks over the next two years so that they can trade them for established players.
    Mid of the 1st round seems to be about right.

Should there also be some genuine concerns if Clayton is going to manage their recruiting? His history over the last few years hasn't been impressive.

Despite their resilient membership base you would have to think even there most loyal supporters do not see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.
    The AFL has to step in and restore some order as we can't have such a weal side in the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the guys who walked, the ones who drafted all the guys they then delisted?

I feel for Noble. What chance does he have? What chance does the next coach have? They're gonna suck for a few years yet and if they keep changing coaches then they'll lose player also.

I guess they can look at the Lions model and how they managed to right the ship under Fagan. Who was the other senior footy head there for a few years... oh yeah, Noble!

Lots of factors in all of this. I don't see how this year was going to be anything apart from rubbish for them, and unless they recuit 3-4 senior guys for a couple of years just to bring some stability/leadership/standards/competitiveness to the squad, next year is going to be painful also. And the next 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Are the guys who walked, the ones who drafted all the guys they then delisted?

I feel for Noble. What chance does he have? What chance does the next coach have? They're gonna suck for a few years yet and if they keep changing coaches then they'll lose player also.

I guess they can look at the Lions model and how they managed to right the ship under Fagan. Who was the other senior footy head there for a few years... oh yeah, Noble!

Lots of factors in all of this. I don't see how this year was going to be anything apart from rubbish for them, and unless they recuit 3-4 senior guys for a couple of years just to bring some stability/leadership/standards/competitiveness to the squad, next year is going to be painful also. And the next 2.
    Nobel's not the problem but will very likely be one a few fall guys.
    Regarding the recruiting, picking Phillips looks bad on paper but he was a solid selection that has been cut down by covid and glandular fever so hasn't had a chance to impress this year.

They got the cull wrong because I think they thought they would have a number of out of contract players heading their way because they could pay more and that didn't happen.

I know Clayton is an experienced recruiter and apparently a brilliant contract negotiator but the merits of having him calling the shots this year is questionable given I don't think he's been impressive for a while now.
    Development of younger talented players might have been the issue for Gold Coast but the recruiting was often at best questionable.

It's imperative they get a priority pick this year and next that they can use for a trade with another club for an experienced player.

Post Thanks / Like

They should turn JHF into two first rounders and on-trade them for some cattle, and trade down their first pick in the draft for two first rounders to pick junior talent.

It would be silly to give them priority picks, their issues are purely of their making and they need to fight their way out of their situation.

Players will go there if the money is right. And they should have plenty of that to throw around.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    They should turn JHF into two first rounders and on-trade them for some cattle, and trade down their first pick in the draft for two first rounders to pick junior talent.

It would be silly to give them priority picks, their issues are purely of their making and they need to fight their way out of their situation.

Players will go there if the money is right. And they should have plenty of that to throw around.
    Melbourne set the precedent though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I've tended to have the same opinion but they're as weak on field at the moment as Fitzroy was all those years ago.
    For the teams that get to play North twice it's almost a guaranteed win and a percentage booster and I don't think that serves the competition well. A mid round one pick could be used to acquire a very good player from another club.
    I don't disagree on JHF but I would wait it out if I were them. Neither Adelaide or Port are going to be be bottom next year and will need to cough up something good.
    I'd be insisting on a combination of players like McHenry from Adelaide or Duursma from Port not just accepting draft picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Melbourne set the precedent though
    The AFL set the precedent and they're the best at ignoring precedents.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tended to have the same opinion but they're as weak on field at the moment as Fitzroy was all those years ago.
    For the teams that get to play North twice it's almost a guaranteed win and a percentage booster and I don't think that serves the competition well. A mid round one pick could be used to acquire a very good player from another club.
    I don't disagree on JHF but I would wait it out if I were them. Neither Adelaide or Port are going to be be bottom next year and will need to cough up something good.
    I'd be insisting on a combination of players like McHenry from Adelaide or Duursma from Port not just accepting draft picks.
    But I don't think either Port or Adelaide are really in the position to be coughing up decent players either. Do they have anyone on their lists who are good and surplus to needs? So I'm wondering if they need to tap into future first rounds to get the currency for JHF.

And I'd be moving JHF on right away, rather than have him go for less next year. He doesn't want to be there, if he's healthy and injury free at the end of this year get rid of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Horne-Francis is better than either of those boys but North need players who are of the standard now rather than waiting for some draftees to develop. A couple of mid range picks in the first round isn't a reasonable compensation in my opinion.
    If I were to lose a player of his quality I want ready made senior players as part of a package in return and they would need to have fantastic attitudes.

Horne-Francis teamed Laird and Keays would be a strong group for the Crows and if the rumors that Dunks is thinking about moving to SA then that becomes a brilliant midfield.

Same for Port, Wines JHF, Boak with cameo's from Butters and Rozee makes them more potent.

Post Thanks / Like

Horne-Francis is better than either of those boys but North need players who are of the standard now rather than waiting for some draftees to develop. A couple of mid range picks in the first round isn't a reasonable compensation in my opinion.
    If I were to lose a player of his quality I want ready made senior players as part of a package in return and they would need to have fantastic attitudes.

Horne-Francis teamed Laird and Keays would be a strong group for the Crows and if the rumors that Dunks is thinking about moving to SA then that becomes a brilliant midfield.

Same for Port, Wines JHF, Boak with cameo's from Butters and Rozee makes them more potent.
    Why wouldn't Norf have just split their pick 1 last season if they were going to do that?
    Seems like a lot of unnecessary *!*!*!*!ing around to me.