Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  307
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why wouldn't Norf have just split their pick 1 last season if they were going to do that?
    Seems like a lot of unnecessary *!*!*!*!ing around to me.
    The offers weren't that great. They picked the right player, it's just not working for them at the moment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The AFL set the precedent and they're the best at ignoring precedents.
    Can't argue there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The offers weren't that great. They picked the right player, it's just not working for them at the moment.
    I'd keep JHF.

Split this year's and get a couple of solid types. Surely there's a bunch of guys from the covid drafts that are late bloomers.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobel's not the problem but will very likely be one a few fall guys.
    Regarding the recruiting, picking Phillips looks bad on paper but he was a solid selection that has been cut down by covid and glandular fever so hasn't had a chance to impress this year.
    Sorry G, disagree on this one. They walked Ben Brown out the door and had the chance to upgrade with Logan McDonald but instead drafted a tiny mid in Phillips. 180cm midfielders are as out of date as the place kick, if you aren't a bull like Oliver, Petracca, Cripps, Steele, Bontempelli and the like you will get chewed up and spat out pretty quickly and makes it hard to justify such an early pick not that it was the kids fault where he was drafted. Pretty much sums up where Norf are when absolute spuds like Kayne Turner not only is staggeringly still on their list but plays every week and somehow is in their leadership group. Basket case club for the foreseeable future.

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Sorry G, disagree on this one. They walked Ben Brown out the door and had the chance to upgrade with Logan McDonald but instead drafted a tiny mid in Phillips. 180cm midfielders are as out of date as the place kick, if you aren't a bull like Oliver, Petracca, Cripps, Steele, Bontempelli and the like you will get chewed up and spat out pretty quickly and makes it hard to justify such an early pick not that it was the kids fault where he was drafted. Pretty much sums up where Norf are when absolute spuds like Kayne Turner not only is staggeringly still on their list but plays every week and somehow is in their leadership group. Basket case club for the foreseeable future.
    I think there's a place for the 6 foot 80kg hybrid wing-half back-midfielder as a role player. Premierships can be built around a few really good examples of these types. Just ask Richmond. There's only ever a handful of the Cripps /Bont type player every 10 years. You gotta fill the gaps around these players somehow!

On topic I really hope Norf hold onto Horne-Francis. Is a seriously good player they gotta hold onto him somehow.

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think there's a place for the 6 foot 80kg hybrid wing-half back-midfielder as a role player. Premierships can be built around a few really good examples of these types. Just ask Richmond. There's only ever a handful of the Cripps /Bont type player every 10 years. You gotta fill the gaps around these players somehow!

On topic I really hope Norf hold onto Horne-Francis. Is a seriously good player they gotta hold onto him somehow.
    Liked for the first paragraph, not the second.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think there's a place for the 6 foot 80kg hybrid wing-half back-midfielder as a role player. Premierships can be built around a few really good examples of these types. Just ask Richmond. There's only ever a handful of the Cripps /Bont type player every 10 years. You gotta fill the gaps around these players
    May be so 1 eye but you shouldn't be using pick three to get a role player!!!

Post Thanks / Like

May be so 1 eye but you shouldn't be using pick three to get a role player!!!
    It's a draft howler. They could've had the most athletic 200cm player the world has ever seen!

Post Thanks / Like

They've made a number of mistakes and McDonald was probably the best player in the draft but the way the media focuses on the Phillips selection is in reality just a small part of their challenges. Phillips is a good footballer and I think the media is splitting hairs about McDonald and Phillips but yes McDonald is the better prospect.

They will not get back into a reasonable position until the AFL bail them out and i don't think it's good enough to have them as weak as they currently are.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They walked Ben Brown out the door and had the chance to upgrade with Logan McDonald but instead drafted a tiny mid in Phillips. 180cm midfielders are as out of date as the place kick, if you aren't a bull like Oliver, Petracca, Cripps, Steele, Bontempelli and the like you will get chewed up and spat out pretty quickly and makes it hard to justify such an early pick not that it was the kids fault where he was drafted.
    Sam Walsh says Hi. So does Shai Bolton. The list goes on. Good players are good players.

I don't totally disagree with what you are saying about Phillips but we are talking about the perfect storm from a draft perspective.

1/. North undergoing a bit of a Money Ball style draft transformation under Luff.
    2/. No footy during the year due to COVID and scouts needing to rely on 2019 data (or 17yo form) for all Victorian draft prospects - around 65% of the draft every year.

Phillips had great numbers as a bottom ager...but it was really hard to measure him as he was in the same Chargers team as Rowell and Anderson...and Finn Macrae, and Reef McInnes...and Jamarra for that matter. So how do you judge him (Phillips)? And how do you NOT hone in on the numbers when they are the basis of your new "system"/"philosophy" and you don't have anything else. And, well, how do you compare what McDonald is doing as a key forward at senior level in Perth to what Phillips did 12-months ago as a bottom ager in Melbourne??

I am obviously prejudiced towards Logan and tired of the way players like him fall down the order whilst players from Vic Metro (esp) continue to be selected at the top of the draft (nothing will EVER beat Jack Watts over Nick Nat but to me this was close) but I do have some sympathy for North and their recruiting team in this instance.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Thanks GVGjr, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What was wrong about Jack Watts over Nic Nat?

Jack was white, tall, could kick a long goal and most importantly was from a good family, a good school and had a basketball background. He literally ticked all of the aspirational boxes you could want for a first selection.

Christ.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they have to get a few priority picks over the next two years so that they can trade them for established players.
    Mid of the 1st round seems to be about right.

Should there also be some genuine concerns if Clayton is going to manage their recruiting? His history over the last few years hasn't been impressive.

Despite their resilient membership base you would have to think even there most loyal supporters do not see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.
    The AFL has to step in and restore some order as we can't have such a weal side in the competition.
    Disagree with this. If they do happen to scrounge one I would think end of the first round is more than fair to them and all other teams.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tended to have the same opinion but they're as weak on field at the moment as Fitzroy was all those years ago.
    For the teams that get to play North twice it's almost a guaranteed win and a percentage booster and I don't think that serves the competition well. A mid round one pick could be used to acquire a very good player from another club.
    I don't disagree on JHF but I would wait it out if I were them. Neither Adelaide or Port are going to be be bottom next year and will need to cough up something good.
    I'd be insisting on a combination of players like McHenry from Adelaide or Duursma from Port not just accepting draft picks.
    Agree they are but one difference. Fitzroy were broke North are not having paid off all their debts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Disagree with this. If they do happen to scrounge one I would think end of the first round is more than fair to them and all other teams.
    Melbourne got 3 as their "not a priority pick" for Frawley ! Got a handy player in Brayshaw with it (Petracca 2 Brayshaw 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Melbourne got 3 as their "not a priority pick" for Frawley ! Got a handy player in Brayshaw with it (Petracca 2 Brayshaw 3)
    It still wasn't fair to all the other teams.