Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 12, 2022 vs Geelong

This is the Round 12, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 12, 2022 vs Geelong

Bankers
    Tom Liberatore, another standout game.
    jack Macrae, puts in a top effort every week, every game.
    Ed Richards improving a lot this year.

Anchors
    Selection - we cannot continue to carry all of McNeill, Scott, McComb and Khamis, there is some effort there but collectively they are a negative.
    Our forward coach, whoever it is, is not setting up the right structure or simply has NFI.
    Duryea - unsighted.

3. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. From the 2nd quarter on, Libba lit the fuse that got us going. He was superhuman at times.

2. Caleb Daniel was back to his creative best when under lots of pressure and was critical to us moving the ball smarter from the 2nd Qtr.

3. The way the team, and especially those who particularly had their colours lowered badly in the first quarter, responded after. It would've been real easy for guys like Dale and Macrae to go back in their shells and not pull the trigger on kicks they normally would back themselves to execute well thereafter. So I'm glad they have the will to fight and absorb the pressure.

Anchors

1. lack of ability of the team to execute basic skills or make decisions up to AFL standard in the first quarter.

2. Treloar's decision to not let the ball going over the boundary.

3. McComb, I thouhght he did a good job in his role, but for his failure to kick the goal off the back of an amazingly inspiring piece of play that led to his mark. That was a sliding doors moment for me.

And a 4th anchor for the umpiring too. It felt like we were playing at Geelong at times.

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Libba, what an effort from the man and kicked two magnificent goals

2. The fightback was pretty good, but also not good enough. I thought we were going to get slaughtered but we won the last three quarters and gave ourselves a chance.

3. Caleb Daniel is a little master and his foot skills and decision making are incredible.

Anchors

1. At times some poor field kicking eg, Smith makes a huge effort along the wing and approaches 50, and ends up dribbling the ball along the ground. There were many examples over the night.

2. Passing the ball to Naughton - FFS hit him on the chest, don't pop it up in the air.

3. The huge mistake allowing Hawkins an easy goal when we start criss crossing the ground and then a miss kick straight to Hawkins. We looked like we were just taking it easy and not serious enough. Keath was the poor decsion maker in this incident
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    This is the Round 12, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    Actually, got to revise my Anchors.

Cody Weightman. He needs to be spoken to by his teammates. He let himself down tonight playing for free's. I didn't have a problem with his actions prior to this game. But he crossed a line tonight for me.

8. Likes josie, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cody Weightman. He needs to be spoken to by his teammates. He let himself down tonight playing for free's. I didn't have a problem with his actions prior to this game. But he crossed a line tonight for me.
    There was one right in front of me and it was a blatant push in the back which he exaggerated and umpire let it go.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was one right in front of me and it was a blatant push in the back which he exaggerated and umpire let it go.
    Righty or wrongly the perception is he plays for free kicks and as a result he won’t get any benefits of the doubt.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Righty or wrongly the perception is he plays for free kicks and as a result he won’t get any benefits of the doubt.
    Neither will Naughton after Bevo's effort.

13. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Neither will Naughton after Bevo's effort.
    please explain young fella

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    please explain young fella

He actually got 3 last night ! He was copping double teams most of the time Geelong were very good at pushing the line without conspicuously crossing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think he's improved a lot this year in terms of keeping his feet and staying in the contest, but last night was a step backwards.

Bankers

Libba - Huge game from our Bulldog. Always seems to sense the occasion.

Baz's third quarter - half chances turned into genuine looks with his tackle busting and gut running, exciting stuff that unfortunately went unrewarded

Dale - had a nightmare first half but was able to turn it around and still make a significant contribution. Sign of maturity.

Anchors

English - looked like he was going to be a big point of difference for us pre-game but was dominated around the contest by Stanley. Those advocating for Sweet to play might feel vindicated.

Gardner - did some good things, but his kicking was woeful at times under minimal pressure

Forwards/Entries - we only turned one third of our entries into shots on goal, and only half of those into goals, that's not good enough to win games. At those ratios we would have needed 90 inside fifties to score 100 points. There were some shocking entries, some of them from our better players in Macrae and Dunkley. Also plenty of non-contests from high balls and poor pressure when the ball hit the ground.

[Extra] Umpiring - Bringing the ball back 60m for Richards' hit at the end of the third was crushing, we had numbers around the ball in the fifty. Holding the ball decision on Gardner. Dissent only paid once for the game against Treloar. Holding the ball on Richards after Stengle (?) was caught moments earlier. Generally a lot of holding the man from the Cats that was let go.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

18. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

100%. The first one they highlights was bad. He didn't even play it up that much, but the lack of anything constituting a freekick made it look terrible. His natural intensity and bounciness naturally wins him frees, I don't understand why he is so intent on playing for them as well. I think it actually makes him less of a handful when he isn't wholly committed to the contest.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

20. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    [Extra] Umpiring - Bringing the ball back 60m for Richards' hit at the end of the third was crushing, we had numbers around the ball in the fifty. Holding the ball decision on Gardner. Dissent only paid once for the game against Treloar. Holding the ball on Richards after Stengle (?) was caught moments earlier. Generally a lot of holding the man from the Cats that was let go.
    I'm generally fairly forgiving of the umpires but thought there were a few key decisions they made which hurt in the context of the game, that Richards one the obvious one. I can kind of understand that since he hit him as he was kicking it was arguably not downfield but it was a pretty reckless action and paying the freekick but not advantage severely disadvantaged us (plus arguably should have been a free to McNeil on the receiving end anyway for either chopping he arms or front on contact from Bicavs).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

In games like this umpiring decisions are less tolerable. We had our chances, getting these frees for or against may have helped a little. We just were not good enough.

I did lose it with the dissent and Gardner HTB though. Horrible, horrible decisions

23. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    100%. The first one they highlights was bad. He didn't even play it up that much, but the lack of anything constituting a freekick made it look terrible. His natural intensity and bounciness naturally wins him frees, I don't understand why he is so intent on playing for them as well. I think it actually makes him less of a handful when he isn't wholly committed to the contest.
    It also means if he is sprawled on the ground awaiting a whistle he can’t compete or make a second effort
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

25. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, 1eyedog liked this post