Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Tagging - The age old question

I watched James Aish, who isn't a regarded tagger, curb Clayton Oliver on the weekend and wanted to kick start some discussion around why we don't consider this a bit more. Yes we have a terrific midfield crew but surely we can find players who could make opposition stars earn their possessions a bit more?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tagging - The age old question

I agree.
    Crazy.
    Cutting 15 Oliver or Petracca (or Neale, or Dusty…) possessions surely helps our cause!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I watched James Aish, who isn't a regarded tagger, curb Clayton Oliver on the weekend and wanted to kick start some discussion around why we don't consider this a bit more. Yes we have a terrific midfield crew but surely we can find players who could make opposition stars earn their possessions a bit more?
    I think it comes down to the fact that Bevo doesn’t like tagging.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It is the old age question. It comes down to desire and a willingness to sacrifice your game. I wonder if McLean would be that guy if he didn't blow his knee out twice over the past 2-3 years?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It is the old age question. It comes down to desire and a willingness to sacrifice your game. I wonder if McLean would be that guy if he didn't blow his knee out twice over the past 2-3 years?
    Mclean has played a run with role, as has Libba in the past.

I think tagging can work, but it is horses for courses and the state of the match, ie if the opposition mids are really on top half way through a match, then curb them. eg: In the Carlton match earlier this year, Cripps single handedly, got Carlton on top in the second quarter. In the second half we paid more attention to him and we curbed his influence and almost pinched the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood tagged Oliver last year when they beat them.

It's got to be done.

We don't really have a natural tagger do we could someone like McComb do that role?

8. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stat : Geelong have only played at Marvel twice in the past 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I guess when you come up against an opposition player who is dominating the game you can either accept it or make a change.
    That is what Freo did at half time moving Aish into that role after being 4 goals down and it played it's part in curbing one of the competitions best players and swinging the game back on to more even terms for Fremantle.
    In the end the move seemed to play a big part in their revival. It's food for thought.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"