Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Found this when I was looking up Charlies Angels. About the Spargo family.

https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/...l-grand-final/
    I had forgotten about the 3rd brother Ray who had played reserves with us. Remember Bob and Ricky.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I hate the way the AFL have adopted so many fan experience ideas from the NBA and NBL. Get rid of the sensory overload - all the epilepsy inducing flashing lights, the incessant noise pollution, kiss cam, "make some noise".

Basketball NEEDS this garbage as it is arguably the worst, most boring sport on the planet. You score, we score, you score, we score, then an hour of time outs to get through the last 30 seconds of game time.

AFL football is one of the best - the action on the field doesn't need anything to enhance the spectator experience 99% of the time.
    100% agree with all you've said. I used to take a guy with high level autism to games. It was the only place he could handle big crowds and lots of external stimulation and also scream and yell as much as he wanted to and still be accepted and encouraged to be himself. But he's also epileptic and now he can't go because of the stupid unnecessary lights.

And you're right about basketball (especially NBA). A bit like 50 overs cricket it needs all the distraction it can get from the repetitive nature of the game. Footy doesn't. It actually suffers from all the sickening screaming and yelling because that just distracts from the spectacle of the game itself which, after all, is what we've come to see.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And you're right about basketball (especially NBA). A bit like 50 overs cricket it needs all the distraction it can get from the repetitive nature of the game. Footy doesn't. It actually suffers from all the sickening screaming and yelling because that just distracts from the spectacle of the game itself which, after all, is what we've come to see.
    American sports are so boring. Gridiron doesn't flow, they stop every few minutes, Baseball is boring as hell, to watch and play, and basketball is fun to play but boring to watch.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    100% agree with all you've said. I used to take a guy with high level autism to games. It was the only place he could handle big crowds and lots of external stimulation and also scream and yell as much as he wanted to and still be accepted and encouraged to be himself. But he's also epileptic and now he can't go because of the stupid unnecessary lights.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    American sports are so boring. Gridiron doesn't flow, they stop every few minutes, Baseball is boring as hell, to watch and play, and basketball is fun to play but boring to watch.
    You're both off my "erudite and refiend men I'd like to share a red wine with" list.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You're both off my "erudite and refiend men I'd like to share a red wine with" list.
    I was going to bring along this: but you have now missed out

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to bring along this: but you have now missed out

It's swill anyway. Andrew Fox once offered me an entire box and I knocked it back. True story.
    "It's over. It's all over."

8. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Look I'm a bit of a sport savant in that I really lose myself in all sorts of team sports from all the footballs and bat and ball games. I've always loved baseball and NFL has turned the corner again after a few so so years so 've started watching it again thanks mainly to a couple of extraordinary Superbowls over the last few years but NBA has always been a bit Meh! for me.

As I say it's a bit like 50 overs cricket in that 99% of the time they may as well not bother with the middle 2/3rds of the game. I don't mind watching Olympic basketball though. They seem to be more willing to let it run.

And I don't really drink wine. Or anything apart from water. The most exciting I get is maybe tipping a bit of cordial in.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

They're great if you're into the strategic side of them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.