Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

A reasonable assessment of why crowds are down:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...covid-to-blame

Here’s author Matthew Crawford on the “attention economy”: “Lately, our self-appointed disrupters have opened up a new frontier of capitalism, complete with its own frontier ethic: to boldly dig up and monetise every bit of private head space by appropriating our collective attention. In the process, we’ve sacrificed silence — the condition of not being addressed.”

Max Gawn of the Demons and Luke Ryan of the Dockers compete for the ball during last week’s match at the MCG.
    AFL mid-season report card part one: premiership fancies to guilty pleasures
    Read more
    At football games, you’re constantly being addressed, constantly being shouted at, constantly implored to make some noise, have a punt, buy a jeep, kiss your partner, stuff your face, or sink some piss. You’re at the mercy of the ground announcer, music blaring after goals, and the incessant, ear perforating prattle. As a result, it’s virtually impossible to have a conversation with the person next to you. For all you kids, this is what half-time at the f
    ootball used to sound like.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes josie, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

Luckily or not I don't get to the footy anymore but even on the TV screen the flickering lights are annoying but at least I can hit the mute button.
    The person who came up with idea and thought it was good practice needs to be lock in a room with this going on for an hour non stop and see how they feel after the experience.
    I wonder if they would either one come out a total nut job and attack whoever let them out. Two find themselves curled up in a corner having flashbacks to something out of Apocalypse Now or three hug the person letting them out for saving their sanity.
    Also do the kids really like it or their attention span is so sort it doesn't affect them.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

The article is actually spot on.

Number one on that list is the ticketing debacle where you have to book your seat, or download your ticket via digital membership. There are lots of people in the past who decided to go to the footy the last minute, and now they find themselves having to try and get a ticket the new way, instead of just rocking up and either buying one at the ticket box, or swiping their membership card.

Everything combined on the list in the article chips away at lowering crowds.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did people think of the 7pm start?

Notice all the media/ footy people who are all media/ footy people think it's great, but really how many deadlines are they needing to hit on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

Guess it's good for the AFL and their vendor partners at the ground. More people in a rush needing to eat their shit overpriced food once at the game.

For me, needing to get home from work in Sth Melbourne to Richmond after work, walk the pooch and get into the ground, it was much too rushed and I think about 7:20pm to 7:40pm is about right.

The later start wasn't a problem pre-COVID etc. I reckon this is all about getting two Friday night games on TV and more eyes on screens than it is about getting people to the games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What did people think of the 7pm start?

Notice all the media/ footy people who are all media/ footy people think it's great, but really how many deadlines are they needing to hit on a Friday afternoon/ evening?

Guess it's good for the AFL and their vendor partners at the ground. More people in a rush needing to eat their shit overpriced food once at the game.

For me, needing to get home from work in Sth Melbourne to Richmond after work, walk the pooch and get into the ground, it was much too rushed and I think about 7:20pm to 7:40pm is about right.

The later start wasn't a problem pre-COVID etc. I reckon this is all about getting two Friday night games on TV and more eyes on screens than it is about getting people to the games.
    It was tough. I didn't finish my last meeting until 5.30. Got to the game about 15 prior to start so did feel very rushed.

Agree another 20 mins maybe better.

Post Thanks / Like

The lights were absolutely appalling last night. Worse than usual.

I keep getting club emails about rating my match day experience but clearly no one reads them.

Who needs that stupid mindless never ending razzmatazz. The crowd’s tremendous roar when our heart and soul Libba kicked a last qtr goal after he had played such a key role in us fighting back is what I’m there for.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes Max469, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

I keep getting club emails about rating my match day experience but clearly no one reads them.

Who needs that stupid mindless never ending razzmatazz. The crowd’s tremendous roar when our heart and soul Libba kicked a last qtr goal after he had played such a key role in us fighting back is what I’m there for.
    The whole rev up before each quarter/ half where we get screamed at about making noise is pitiful. The example you mention is all that's required to get the noise going, the footy should just talk for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

Don't think less of me Trag...

But I like the lights. *hides*

I hate the noise, but like the lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What did people think of the 7pm start? .
    Missed last night's game as I was at a conference and the plane was delayed 30 min, so landed at 6:45. However, I don't like 7:50 start, it is too late to finish. I think a 7:20 would be just right.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It was tough. I didn't finish my last meeting until 5.30. Got to the game about 15 prior to start so did feel very rushed.

Agree another 20 mins maybe better.
    Dude, you need talk to whoever is scheduling meetings that finish at 5:30 on a Friday. That’s some high level bullshit right there.

14. Likes SquirrelGrip, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Dude, you need talk to whoever is scheduling meetings that finish at 5:30 on a Friday. That’s some high level bullshit right there.

Haha so true. Supposed to finish at 430, never does.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the way the AFL have adopted so many fan experience ideas from the NBA and NBL. Get rid of the sensory overload - all the epilepsy inducing flashing lights, the incessant noise pollution, kiss cam, "make some noise".

Basketball NEEDS this garbage as it is arguably the worst, most boring sport on the planet. You score, we score, you score, we score, then an hour of time outs to get through the last 30 seconds of game time.

AFL football is one of the best - the action on the field doesn't need anything to enhance the spectator experience 99% of the time.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha so true. Supposed to finish at 430, never does.
    Meeting finishing at 4.30 still ain’t cool. That is an anchor right there.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes Grantysghost, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think less of me Trag...

But I like the lights. *hides*

I hate the noise, but like the lights.
    Is it really possible to think less of you GG? *ducks*

I’m not just talking about the flashing lights, but the spotlights from the top deck. Maybe it depends on where you are sitting but we are on an angle which means they are in our eyes the whole time. My sister brings a cap to prevent the glare.

Also what gives with opposition fans being able to sit in “our” sections? This is becoming common. What are we paying premium $$ for?

Just as well we won, and the Bombres lost in humiliating style, or I’d be very Alex-Keath-level-grumpy today.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The article is actually spot on.

Number one on that list is the ticketing debacle where you have to book your seat, or download your ticket via digital membership. There are lots of people in the past who decided to go to the footy the last minute, and now they find themselves having to try and get a ticket the new way, instead of just rocking up and either buying one at the ticket box, or swiping their membership card.

Everything combined on the list in the article chips away at lowering crowds.
    This has been a disaster by the AFL to do away with Club membership tickets which has led to confusion and a source of annoyance to traditional loyal members. It has forced the League to change back.