Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Is it really possible to think less of you GG? *ducks*

I’m not just talking about the flashing lights, but the spotlights from the top deck. Maybe it depends on where you are sitting but we are on an angle which means they are in our eyes the whole time. My sister brings a cap to prevent the glare.

Also what gives with opposition fans being able to sit in “our” sections? This is becoming common. What are we paying premium $$ for?

Just as well we won, and the Bombres lost in humiliating style, or I’d be very Alex-Keath-level-grumpy today.
    Ahh ok that makes sense, if they're in your eyes then that's just not on at all.
    I'm on level 2 behind the goals/pocket at the Footscray end these days so I don't get blinded.

Im totally on board with the sentiment the game sells its self.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    This has been a disaster by the AFL to do away with Club membership tickets which has led to confusion and a source of annoyance to traditional loyal members. It has forced the League to change back.
    The problem was the cut over. They didn't phase it in.

With any major system change during the planning phase that's always a major consideration.

Considering the legacy depth of plastic tickets a phased in approach (both plastic and digital) should've been done over say 3 years with a clear message that plastic is being removed as an option.
    Personally I prefer the digital card, I don't carry a wallet anymore everything is on my phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Its the umpiring. The ridiculous 50s at the drop of a hat, the stupid stand rule, reading free kicks into every key contest from umpires off the ball, the dissent nonsense. It just kills the contest and makes it such a frustrating experience.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another reason crowds are down is the "Cashless" payments for everything including the record.

I've gotten into the habit of buying the Record at my local newsagent seeing as they are no longer game specific.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Basketball NEEDS this garbage as it is arguably the worst, most boring sport on the planet. You score, we score, you score, we score, then an hour of time outs to get through the last 30 seconds of game time.
    I know you're angry right now, so I'm going to pretend you didn't say this.

Also, may I introduce you to NFL/MLB?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Its the umpiring. The ridiculous 50s at the drop of a hat, the stupid stand rule, reading free kicks into every key contest from umpires off the ball, the dissent nonsense. It just kills the contest and makes it such a frustrating experience.
    It's this, but this is only part of the issue. To really improve crowd numbers and match day experiences, it would take a fair bit of self reflection and ain't nobody at the AFL got time for that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I know you're angry right now, so I'm going to pretend you didn't say this.

Also, may I introduce you to NFL/MLB?

It's this, but this is only part of the issue. To really improve crowd numbers and match day experiences, it would take a fair bit of self reflection and ain't nobody at the AFL got time for that.
    And bring back the bluebirds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bert loved the Blue Birds

Post Thanks / Like

It's fair to say it's everything but the players and the coaches and the clubs themselves, and funnily enough that's not where the noise about this bullshit is directed towards or coming from.

COVID really needed to strip the game of the superfluous rubbish that multiplied around it, but it seems that stuff has only gotten stronger and louder.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Don't forget the swanettes with Dr.Edelstein and glamorous wife Leanne.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also had our own Charlie's Angel's too
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Really? I didn't know that; what era?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that was funny and a little ridiculous and unnecessary.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah, that was funny and a little ridiculous and unnecessary.
    My subtle point was the US has cheer leaders and we follow everything they do, ergo bring back the Angels!

Post Thanks / Like

Found this when I was looking up Charlies Angels. About the Spargo family.

https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/...l-grand-final/

18. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we have the Bulldog Belles for a couple of years?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"