Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  68
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It’s all falling apart for the Dees

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Short of Neale their midfield is a little soft, and they don’t have any quality rucks to help them out. They’re trying to bring Rayner in to win more ball but any gains he brings are mitigated both by Lyons’ regression and Rayner’s own defensive weaknesses.

Its making them give up more points than ever, and Andrews hasn’t seemed to be coping with quicker ball coming in from what I’ve seen (despite being 200cm tall BAD).

I dunno. They’re still very good with the ball but I don’t trust them or anyone that could lose a final to us.
    Yeah fair calls. McCluggage is a soon to be jet but needs to become more damaging on the scoreboard.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yeah fair calls. McCluggage is a soon to be jet but needs to become more damaging on the scoreboard.
    What a shame Essendon went for a midget with their undeserved number 1. Not dodos fault though!

Post Thanks / Like

They lost to us by a point in a game that could have gone either way and would have smashed Port just like we did. They also would have put up a better fight in the GF.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They lost to us by a point in a game that could have gone either way and would have smashed Port just like we did. They also would have put up a better fight in the GF.
    Although Melbourne were pretty hot last year. They demolished Geelong in the prelim by 83 points, and also beat them in round 23 when they were almost 6 goals behind at 3/4 time and produced one of those GF quarters at Kardinia Park to storm home and win by 4 points. They also beat Brissie by 33 points in the qualifying - played in Adelaide
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on my rough calculations they would have lost the GF by at least 75 points.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They've lost a few finals at the Gabba they shouldn't have.

That prelim v the cats mein gott!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Although Melbourne were pretty hot last year. They demolished Geelong in the prelim by 83 points, and also beat them in round 23 when they were almost 6 goals behind at 3/4 time and produced one of those GF quarters at Kardinia Park to storm home and win by 4 points. They also beat Brissie by 33 points in the qualifying - played in Adelaide
    Yeah, no one was beating Melbourne during the finals. They were the best side by quite a margin.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Gawn’s out for maybe 2 months with a beard strain. How devastating.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Gawn’s out for maybe 2 months with a beard strain. How devastating
    Fitzroy has an official day of mourning tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no one was beating Melbourne during the finals. They were the best side by quite a margin.
    Finishing top was an extra bonus last year with the limited travel.
    It was a pretty compromised finals series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Finishing top was an extra bonus last year with the limited travel.
    It was a pretty compromised finals series.
    It was a bonus but they earned it, clearly the best side throughout the year (and they were helped even further by the second best side imploding in the last month of the H&A).

And that finals series was as dominant as we’ve seen in recent times.

Post Thanks / Like

Will Gawn be out when we play them next?
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Will Gawn be out when we play them next?
    Looks like it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that game could have gone either way, but again like the year before, they couldn't get it done on their home turf.

We played one of the best away preliminary finals ever seen, a bit like Adelaide's 1998.

Are you suggesting if they did get through they'd have been fresher for the grand final? That half way through the third they'd have been up by three goals (or more) and not prone to getting dismantled like we did due to fatigue and a lack of discipline?

Apart from the last forty-five minutes of the main dance our finals run was an amazing effort across the board and whilst I'll always be gutted by what happened in the grand final I won't ever take credit away from the club for putting it together.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes bornadog, jazzadogs, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Agree that game could have gone either way, but again like the year before, they couldn't get it done on their home turf.

We played one of the best away preliminary finals ever seen, a bit like Adelaide's 1998.

Are you suggesting if they did get through they'd have been fresher for the grand final? That half way through the third they'd have been up by three goals (or more) and not prone to getting dismantled like we did due to fatigue and a lack of discipline?

Apart from the last forty-five minutes of the main dance our finals run was an amazing effort across the board and whilst I'll always be gutted by what happened in the grand final I won't ever take credit away from the club for putting it together.
    Exactly. We travelled all over the country, overcame injuries (as opposed to Melbourne who had a charmed run most of the season) and were still 23 points up before it all caught up with us and they came over the top.

Props to the Dees they were the best team all year but to downplay our effort is a bit rough.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite