Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  129
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 19 V Melbourne At Marvel On Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It may well be that Gawn or even Jackson will be too good but I can't see any of our other ruck option doing any better. Sweet is a big body and I have more faith in him holding his ground than the others.
    I can remember Tom Campbell playing a very good game on Gawn a few years back. Sweet haa size and doesn't mind a bit of bash and crash.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Likes Testekill, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 19 V Melbourne At Marvel On Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I can remember Tom Campbell playing a very good game on Gawn a few years back. Sweet haa size and doesn't mind a bit of bash and crash.
    It’s antithesis to Bevo’s philosophy but for a specific role like ruck, if you can’t have an elite type like Gawn who can do it all, I am happy to eschew versatility and just select a physical, aggressive meat axe type to just blunt and nullify the opposition. Partner him up with that athletic, versatile type as the 2nd ruck/forward to work over the opposition pair. We have it completely wrong in my opinion but I guess that’s why they get paid the big bucks and I’m the one shouting at the tv.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Testekill, Sedat, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gawn seems to be really struggling at the moment returning from his ankle injury. I wonder if we can use that at all.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Gawn seems to be really struggling at the moment returning from his ankle injury. I wonder if we can use that at all.
    My man why.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Seriously just let Sweet run into Gawn and work him over while English gets to pick up the crumbs, opposition do it all the time to us by having a bash & crash ruck work over English.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also inclined to have Sweet play against Gawn-Jackson, but there are a couple of counter points: English played quite well in Round 1 as the sole ruckman, he won 8 clearances and we won the clearances overall 40-30. In the GF, English and Martin as a combination were well beaten by Gawn and Jackson, allowing Melbourne to waltz out the front of the centre clearances.

There's also the prospect of Naughton returning to a forward line already containing a developing Jamarra and rehabilitating Bruce. Can we really also afford to rest Sweet/English? We would be going in very tall in the forward line. If Sweet plays then I think Bruce must miss.

My main concern is that down back we don't really have match ups for Pickett and Fritsch. They had 11 scoring shots between them against Port. Possibly Scott could come in to play a role. Hannan has the athletic profile to match Fritsch (although was underwhelming defensively against the Saints). Our team defence will need to be on song to limit their opportunities.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

12. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo singled out English' performance in his press conference.
    I'm doubtful Sweet will play if Naughton is right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yep mentioned Tim was responsible for getting the fast start against Saints.

Post Thanks / Like

English’s ruck work was awesome. It was just pretty much everything else that was off for him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Do we believe everything Luke Beveridge tells the media?

Or could Bevo be foxing and trying to pump Timmy up after two games where he was just ok around the ground?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Or could Bevo be foxing and trying to pump Timmy up after two games where he was just ok around the ground?
    It didn't feel that way but I wouldn't be surprised!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Well what was was your opinion.? He had the most hitouts on the ground?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo won't play 2 rucks, even if Sweet went for 10 marks 50 hitouts he still would get dropped.

Not sure how we'll play this? Bruce will stay in and if Naughton comes back we're likely a little top heavy if we play Sweet. Ideally we'd give Bruce stints in the ruck but we can't do that at this stage of his recovery. It'll be interesting.... They better not do something stupid like play Buku as backup ruck, it's stupid enough it'll probably happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sweet goes out will Schache come in? He can play back, forward/ 2nd ruck...although if Naughty in we would be too tall you would think in forward line. Maybe medi sub.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Bevo won't play 2 rucks, even if Sweet went for 10 marks 50 hitouts he still would get dropped.

Not sure how we'll play this? Bruce will stay in and if Naughton comes back we're likely a little top heavy if we play Sweet. Ideally we'd give Bruce stints in the ruck but we can't do that at this stage of his recovery. It'll be interesting.... They better not do something stupid like play Buku as backup ruck, it's stupid enough it'll probably happen again.
    Not sure how we could play Bruce again based on his performance against St.Kilda... I want to see him do well, but he really battled and to be any chance against Melb we just can't allow the intercept marks that we've given up the last 2 weeks.

23. Likes Bullies liked this post