Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  129
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 19 V Melbourne At Marvel On Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So different standards for Tim v Sweet
    Not sure of your point?

I am purely judging English on his past performances and what his strengths are - disposals around the ground.

88% game time against the saints and only 8 touches is underwhelming.

I've edited this posted as English had 8 touches V the saints and 13 against the swans.
    Last edited by azabob; 19-07-2022 at 11:48 AM. Reason: English had 8 touches; not 13
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 19 V Melbourne At Marvel On Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure of your point?

I am purely judging English on his past performances and what his strengths are - disposals around the ground.

88% game time against the saints and only 13 touches is underwhelming.
    The Saints game plan might have had some effect. They played low and slow particularly out of defence.

Really poorly mind you the amount of times they turned it over with poor decisions or disposal was laughable.

Point is they weren't going high and long which would have been to Tim's advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of your point?

If Sweety did this it would be a god send.

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The Saints game plan might have had some effect. They played low and slow particularly out of defence.

Really poorly mind you the amount of times they turned it over with poor decisions or disposal was laughable.

Point is they weren't going high and long which would have been to Tim's advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    If Sweety did this it would be a god send.
    Actually English had 88% game time for only EIGHT touches and Sweet played 61% game time for six touches.

7. Thanks Grantysghost, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Ah, the old ankle tap! One of the oldest tricks in the book.
    Hahaha.

I wasn't meaning we try to hurt Gawn directly but more use his impediment strategically.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually English had 88% game time for only EIGHT touches and Sweet played 61% game time for six touches.
    My point is when Sweet has 5 touches like a couple of weeks ago, you accepted that it was not just the touches and it was ok. I was stirring you a bit comparing him to Englishes low disposals.

Other than the past two weeks, English has been getting around 20 per game. I still maintain Sweet doesn't do enough around the ground, whether VFL or AFL. He has away to go and has only played 11 AFL games.

I think it is hard for the MC to work out who stays in and who is out amongst the talls up forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

My point is when Sweet has 5 touches like a couple of weeks ago, you accepted that it was not just the touches and it was ok. I was stirring you a bit comparing him to Englishes low disposals.

Other than the past two weeks, English has been getting around 20 per game. I still maintain Sweet doesn't do enough around the ground, whether VFL or AFL. He has away to go and has only played 11 AFL games.

I think it is hard for the MC to work out who stays in and who is out amongst the talls up forward.
    Tim has to get both hit outs and touches to be of value while Sweet only needs to compete at ruck contests to be of value.

Don't overcomplicate it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Tim has to get both hit outs and touches to be of value while Sweet only needs to compete at ruck contests to be of value.

Don't overcomplicate it.
    No worries Jee.

How may ruck contests in a game? 5% of game time? maybe 10%?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the disposals or the lower game time that's the issue? I mean, it hurts rotations. That said, does winning more clearances provide more rest for the team cause they aren't chasing so much? Maybe it's not about the stats, and more about the strategy? Two rucks to give us best chance to win clearances and protect defenders, as opposed to who wins the most hit outs.

I do think a decision like this can be over complicated. I'd go with the 2 rucks cause I think without it, no matter how well English does, the 2nd ruck will get torched and so there's about 7 mins per quarter that our mids are chasing harder and our defenders are more likely under the pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Is it the disposals or the lower game time that's the issue? I mean, it hurts rotations. That said, does winning more clearances provide more rest for the team cause they aren't chasing so much? Maybe it's not about the stats, and more about the strategy? Two rucks to give us best chance to win clearances and protect defenders, as opposed to who wins the most hit outs.

I do think a decision like this can be over complicated. I'd go with the 2 rucks cause I think without it, no matter how well English does, the 2nd ruck will get torched and so there's about 7 mins per quarter that our mids are chasing harder and our defenders are more likely under the pump.
    We are the number one clearance team, and while this is so, Rucks are not our number one issue.

However, the ruck needs a chop out as you said, for say 5 to 7 minutes a quarter, BUT, for the rest of the time, the second ruck has to be productive.

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are the number one clearance team, and while this is so, Rucks are not our number one issue.

However, the ruck needs a chop out as you said, for say 5 to 7 minutes a quarter, BUT, for the rest of the time, the second ruck has to be productive.
    Is it better to be non-competitive in the ruck and sneak forward and jag a goal, or be competitive in the ruck and help the team score an extra goal?

I reckon you either decide you do 2 rucks or you don’t. Weighing up players makes it messy cause there’s no player that is decent 2nd ruck and good elsewhere. They’re either poor second ruck and good/ok elsewhere (Schache) or decent 2nd ruck and poor elsewhere (Sweet).

Surely just cause we win lots of clearances doesn’t mean we can’t try and win more? We leak goals also, and no doubt part of that is from lost clearances. Certainly centre bounces.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a stat for scores from clearances that's readily available?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is there a stat for scores from clearances that's readily available?
    Probably but not sure where to get it. We are ranked 1 in centre clearances

Post Thanks / Like

Probably but not sure where to get it. We are ranked 1 in centre clearances
    Here are the top five clubs for clearances

1. Dogs
    2. Crows
    3. Lions
    4. Suns
    5. Power

Geelong are 7th and Melbourne are 10th

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&sby=29&advv=Y

Don't really know what looking at clearances in isolation show other than the best two teams in it sit 7th and 10th.

20. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the top five clubs for clearances

1. Dogs
    2. Crows
    3. Lions
    4. Suns
    5. Power

Geelong are 7th and Melbourne are 10th

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&sby=29&advv=Y

Don't really know what looking at clearances in isolation show other than the best two teams in it sit 7th and 10th.
    It shows clearances mean very little and why our ranking has no reflection on the effectiveness of our ruck set up. I’d like to see the stat for goals generated via D50 turn over after losing the clearance. Geelong and Melbourne back their system to generate scores after forcing turnovers so losing a messy, high bomb clearance isn’t a problem for them, it’s actually a feature not a bug. They want dirty clearances inside their D50 so the likes of Lever, May, Stewart, De Konig etc can mop it up and sling shot them the other way. I wouldn’t be surprised if Geelong and Melbourne are both very high in this stat.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

22. Likes GVGjr, azabob liked this post