Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  103
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 18 V St. Kilda At Marvel On Friday Night

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and one who also struggles at AFL level
    Lets forget about disposals for a moment and focus on what the job of a ruckman is.

As a ruckman who contests the ruck, when it comes to man on man combat English is bog average.

I'm still dumbfounded how he barely broke even with Sam Reid and Joel Amarty?

English should've dominated the hit outs and taken 10+ marks
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes Swoop, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Lets forget about disposals for a moment and focus on what the job of a ruckman is.

As a ruckman who contests the ruck, when it comes to man on man combat English is bog average.

I'm still dumbfounded how he barely broke even with Sam Reid and Joel Amarty?

English should've dominated the hit outs and taken 10+ marks
    One game coming back from concussion.

Overall for the season he is averaging 21 disposals, 6 marks and 24 hitouts. Yes hitouts aren't huge, but the modern ruckman is not just hitouts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know why Keath was on the bench for a while? He didn’t seem to be being assessed for an injury but it was longer than just a rotation??
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One game coming back from concussion.

Overall for the season he is averaging 21 disposals, 6 marks and 24 hitouts. Yes hitouts aren't huge, but the modern ruckman is not just hitouts.
    You knew that, I knew that, everyone knew that. Except the selection panel who simply assumed he would immediately play career best footy.

I was happy with English’s non ruck game, but not anticipating a ruck problem was another selection blunder.

8. Likes DOG GOD, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Anyone know why Keath was on the bench for a while? He didn’t seem to be being assessed for an injury but it was longer than just a rotation??
    I noticed that too BT. Was nearly 10 minutes from memory in the 3rd?

I get the feeling they were so exasperated with the back-line function they were trying anything and everything.

Might have served as a little kick up the pants too.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I noticed that too BT. Was nearly 10 minutes from memory in the 3rd?

I get the feeling they were so exasperated with the back-line function they were trying anything and everything.

Might have served as a little kick up the pants too.
    He had his boot off, so may have an injury, although did get back on the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. I think in the seniors Sweet would get a bit more footy.

I think we are a better football team when we have two ruckman playing.

I still hold the view our best football over the past two years is when Martin was rucking and English was playing as the 3rd tall.
    It's an interesting point you make, and whilst I don't necessarily disagree, I attended the Eagles v Carlton game and watched with interest the role Silvani played in the win. With Silvani as a forward and pinch hitting ruck, Carlton have dominated the clearances and look to sew up a double chance. It is not just us going into games with one dedicated ruckman (not saying that you suggested that), but it seems to be the way of the world right now.
    WOOF Member 422

13. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    It's an interesting point you make, and whilst I don't necessarily disagree, I attended the Eagles v Carlton game and watched with interest the role Silvani played in the win. With Silvani as a forward and pinch hitting ruck, Carlton have dominated the clearances and look to sew up a double chance. It is not just us going into games with one dedicated ruckman (not saying that you suggested that), but it seems to be the way of the world right now.
    I think the key does your second ruckman provide a consistent contest. This is the difference with Silvangi compared to say Schache.

The other question is from a team viewpoint is English more suited to the ruck role or 2nd ruck/ forward role?

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the key does your second ruckman provide a consistent contest. This is the difference with Silvangi compared to say Schache.

The other question is from a team viewpoint is English more suited to the ruck role or 2nd ruck/ forward role?
    If we had a decent, physical number 1 ruck (not a world beater, Tom Hickey level for example) with Tim doing 30% rucking/70% high forward and roaming around, we’d be much, much better off in the forward half than Timmy as #1 and the rotating support cast of misfits we are currently trying to shoe horn in.

Obviously doesn’t help our defensive woes too much but it would probably have a flow on effect where they’re not exposed as much.

Now that English has signed a multi year deal, we should just go and recruit a proper ruck and tell Timmy to play forward and suck it up for the better of the team. If we start winning, he won’t leave.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes Sedat, azabob, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any chance that if we get Lobb, Timmy will take centre bounce and move to defensive 50 arc, with Lobb playing more a CHF role ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

19. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If we had a decent, physical number 1 ruck (not a world beater, Tom Hickey level for example) with Tim doing 30% rucking/70% high forward and roaming around, we’d be much, much better off in the forward half than Timmy as #1 and the rotating support cast of misfits we are currently trying to shoe horn in.

Obviously doesn’t help our defensive woes too much but it would probably have a flow on effect where they’re not exposed as much.

Now that English has signed a multi year deal, we should just go and recruit a proper ruck and tell Timmy to play forward and suck it up for the better of the team. If we start winning, he won’t leave.
    Wasn't it just 2? Getting him to Free agent status.

Boy I wish some thread existed where I could check a detail like that. Maybe it's up on Footywire?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Boy I wish some thread existed where I could check a detail like that. Maybe it's up on Footywire?
    afltables.

Post Thanks / Like

Keath not listed on our injury list, but Naughton is set to test.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...vFx_scU5ZEb9Do

I'd be bringing in Cleary, Bruce and McLean at this point, nothing to lose
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

2 is multi year isn’t it?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Keath not listed on our injury list, but Naughton is set to test.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...vFx_scU5ZEb9Do

I'd be bringing in Cleary, Bruce and McLean at this point, nothing to lose
    Who are you dropping?