Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cody Weightman Appreciation Thread - My word that was TOUGH!!

Just a bit of respect for the young fella.

Bad injury.

In the moment - looked at it (it looked bad) - didn't yell out, didn't withdraw...held his elbow and waited for the medicos to come and assist.

Strapped it up and WENT BACK ON. You could see the joint swelling through the strapping tape. It would have been very painful.

I actually can't believe we needed him to go back on but this isn't about that - it's about the determination shown by a young player to keep contributing in spite of a serious injury.

Much respect.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cody Weightman Appreciation Thread - My word that was TOUGH!!

+1 from me. What he did was psychotically courageous and I guarantee you won’t hear shit about it from the gang of idiots who were all too willing to pile on for his, lets say, playing style.

I love Cody man. He makes the game so much more fun.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes macca, 1eyedog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very courageous indeed, just got on with it and no whinging.

I love his enthusiasm and the great big smile when we kick goals. Even on the bench, next to the coach he is jumping up and down when we kick a goal.

21 goals so far in 11 games, becoming a very important forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I initially saw the angle and my wife covered her face I thought that's a long term injury.

For him to deal with it the way he did shock wise and not only that come back on and play a part was simply outstanding.

We've got a ripper there.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing effort. He actually looked like he was going to kick another couple of goals after half time.

Beveridge said in his press conference he actually didn't get pain relief to come back on.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He's a very determined young man who just loves playing football.
    We didn't quite get the small forward crumber we were hoping for when we drafted him but he typifies the old Bulldog spirit of getting patched up and back on to the field. He's a mark and kick burst type forward for us.
    For the older Bulldogs supporters I rate Cody's effort last night as very Stephen Power like
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    For the older Bulldogs supporters I rate Cody's effort last night as very Stephen Power like
    I hope all the Essendon supporters who piled on Cody after last year's elimination final, were watching last night. Your club is in dire need of this type of selfless grit. It would certainly be much the better for it.

ps. Love the reference to Stephen Power, one of my favourite Bulldogs (along with John Jillard) of days gone by.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Beveridge said in his press conference he actually didn't get pain relief to come back on.
    Yeah - I don't think taking pain management then returning to play is a good plan after an injury like that...you kind of have to either 'do it or not do it'. Taking pain meds to mask a potentially 'serious' injury is kind of a no go.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

13. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a very determined you man who just loves playing football.
    We didn't quite get the small forward crumber we were hoping for when we drafted him but he typifies the old Bulldog spirit of getting patched up and back on to the field.
    Yes G he was as tough as they come. And Power used to remind me of John Jillard for his toughness and I suppose playing in the similar position helped too.

15. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I hope all the Essendon supporters who piled on Cody after last year's elimination final, were watching last night. Your club is in dire need of this type of selfless grit. It would certainly be much the better for it.

ps. Love the reference to Stephen Power, one of my favourite Bulldogs (along with John Jillard) of days gone by.
    Didn't see this Jeanette when I posted. Loved both of those players too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah - I don't think taking pain management then returning to play is a good plan after an injury like that...you kind of have to either 'do it or not do it'. Taking pain meds to mask a potentially 'serious' injury is kind of a no go.
    Thanks. I can't recall but someone on the fox coverage last night said he'd be "juiced up to his eyeballs"

Post Thanks / Like

What a gutsy and purely tough effort by Cody. He's a beauty. Kicked 5 goals too. What more do you want in a player?

Post Thanks / Like

He's a very determined young man who just loves playing football.
    We didn't quite get the small forward crumber we were hoping for when we drafted him but he typifies the old Bulldog spirit of getting patched up and back on to the field. He's a mark and kick burst type forward for us.
    I missed the game but from the highlights I've seen he looked to me to have started the game at full forward leading out of the square and it seemed to throw the plastics defence completely. I love that he can do things like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he can add playing as the crumbling small forward as well as a marking mid sized flanker depending on match ups and team needs as his career develops.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I missed the game but from the highlights I've seen he looked to me to have started the game at full forward leading out of the square and it seemed to throw the plastics defence completely. I love that he can do things like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he can add playing as the crumbling small forward as well as a marking mid sized flanker depending on match ups and team needs as his career develops.
    I watched it and yes he started deep forward.

I'm still puzzled how Cody Weightman kicked five goals without a single free kick. I thought he only kicked goals when he got free kicks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

You might have missed this one

Power

Enjoy
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"