Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What if the ruck problem isn't a problem (ABC news story)

It matters less about who is rucking and more about what happens when the number #1 is resting. If you have enough height forward, even if you take one away to fulfil some ruck minutes, you’re left with enough support for your primary forward to create more leading lanes, more one on ones and more open space for your smalls to work in when the ball gets brought down. Bonus points for when those talls are actually decent.

The fact we stuck with just Cordy and then Khamis (when it was clear Cordy gave us nothing) to play beside Naughton as the sole forward/back up ruck when we had Marra and Schache both rotting away at Footscray is a black mark on the coaching group and will probably cost us a finals spot.

With additional genuine tall talent forward, is it any wonder we’ve scored more the last two weeks? That Naughton has had more opportunities? Or Cody got the wrong match up last week? Or West has had more space to play with?

Structure matters.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes Smads57, GVGjr, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    according to the AFL stats Schache had 3 hitouts. His time in the centre bounce didn’t work out in our favour..
    I completely disagree. The turnaround in the second quarter was when Schache was on the ball. Up until that point, Sweet was the biggest liability on the ground. Schack made second efforts and was harder at the contest. Getting back on top in the middle won us the game.

Fortunately in the second half Sweet showed more and made a positive contribution, heck he even kicked a goal!

A lot of posts on WOOF remind of the quote “Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination”.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

4. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes josie, GVGjr, EasternWest, hujsh, Max469, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He competed well though Danjul. There was a part in the last quarter where he wrestled with multiple efforts for the ball that was in dispute. I would have liked him to have a few more hit outs but I was very happy with his effort and intent.
    Plus Schache's around the ground work is superior than Sweets.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth Bevo made a note of saying Sweet and Schache stabilised us in the ruck in the second qtr during his brief to members.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    For what it's worth Bevo made a note of saying Sweet and Schache stabilised us in the ruck in the second qtr during his brief to members.
    Sweet had a mare in the first quarter. I still have doubts about him but to his credit he did get better as the game wore on.

As for Schache, if you're getting 2 goals out of your second ruck and he brings the ball to ground in the F50 a few times and giving your first ruck a chop out, you can't ask much more of him (or anyone). Based on the last two weeks Khamis and Cordy are not getting near the second ruck spot for a while.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sweet had a mare in the first quarter. I still have doubts about him but to his credit he did get better as the game wore on.

As for Schache, if you're getting 2 goals out of your second ruck and he brings the ball to ground in the F50 a few times and giving your first ruck a chop out, you can't ask much more of him (or anyone). Based on the last two weeks Khamis and Cordy are not getting near the second ruck spot for a while.
    Agree with this.

Schache has to play every week. Until he has another of those games when I say "Schache can't play again" again.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes Danjul, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It matters less about who is rucking and more about what happens when the number #1 is resting. If you have enough height forward, even if you take one away to fulfil some ruck minutes, you’re left with enough support for your primary forward to create more leading lanes, more one on ones and more open space for your smalls to work in when the ball gets brought down. Bonus points for when those talls are actually decent.

The fact we stuck with just Cordy and then Khamis (when it was clear Cordy gave us nothing) to play beside Naughton as the sole forward/back up ruck when we had Marra and Schache both rotting away at Footscray is a black mark on the coaching group and will probably cost us a finals spot.

With additional genuine tall talent forward, is it any wonder we’ve scored more the last two weeks? That Naughton has had more opportunities? Or Cody got the wrong match up last week? Or West has had more space to play with?

Structure matters.
    I guess the challenge is getting the balance between your forward line's ability to attack/ score versus its ability to defend right. Over the last two weeks we've kicked great scores but have also given away too many points and going taller might have something to do with that.

The game against the Pies we clearly got the balance right, kicked 99pts to 51pts and had Sweet, Cordy and Khamis in the side.

The sample either way isn't big enough to really know. However, it's a massive test over the coming weeks to see if the revised structure works both ways (offencively/ defencively) and we can limit scoring.

The slow start bullshit needs to stop, and the whole team needs to tighten if we are to limit scoring and win because I don't think we'll score as easily ourselves (but will be pleasantly surprised if we do). Like everything with us, it'll start and finish with our midfielders and whether they decide to be "on" from the word go.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

People had their doubts about his ability to play that role (and by people I mean Aza), and the jury is still out on whether he can improve his ability to impact the ruck. But like you said, if you're getting two goals a game from him then he should be playing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post