Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What if the ruck problem isn't a problem (ABC news story)

Not explicitly about the Bulldogs but food for thought:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...less/101173828

Of particular interest:
    Going ruckless seems to work best in a few situations. It seems to work well as a surprise tactic, especially in wetter conditions. This surprise factor can also help a makeshift ruck after an in-game injury.

Ruckless sides seem to have a real mobility advantage against slower primary rucks, and where they have ample other tall targets around the ground.
    The best tap rucks present the biggest challenge to the strategy, as do the most mobile traditional rucks.

2. Thanks Axe Man, Scorlibo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What if the ruck problem isn't a problem (ABC news story)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Not explicitly about the Bulldogs but food for thought:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...less/101173828

Of particular interest:
    I want a decent 2nd string ruck man that stops the need to have Naughton, Hannan and Bontempelli competing in ruck contests
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want a decent 2nd string ruck man that stops the need to have Naughton, Hannan and Bontempelli competing in ruck contests
    Even if the basketball boundary rules come in?

Post Thanks / Like

The article fails to even touch on the structural issues when taking forwards out of the F50 to fulfil makeshift ruck minutes and the flow on effect that has to their ability to score and retain the ball. Footy isn’t compartmentalised, a change or swap of personnel in one part of the ground has an impact elsewhere.

I think they’re on the money with the surprise factor being a key to any non-traditional set ups and why the article doesn’t really reflect the issues we have with our list and selection issues. We have doubled down on playing non-rucks and going uber small so good teams can prepare and set up accordingly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You would want Sweet to play a blinder tomorrow to convince like other good teams that two ruck men are essential, when English returns next week. Little point in playing a make shift second ruck man.

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    You would want Sweet to play a blinder tomorrow to convince like other good teams that two ruck men are essential, when English returns next week. Little point in playing a make shift second ruck man.
    My impression is that Sweet is not in tune with the style of play that the team is using. When we have the ball on the back line he looks for space in the corridor, effectively taking himself out of the play because the ball usually goes wide near the boundary. Unless he develops wider tracking patterns the ball carriers will not see/ignore him. I’ll be watching that.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    My impression is that Sweet is not in tune with the style of play that the team is using. When we have the ball on the back line he looks for space in the corridor, effectively taking himself out of the play because the ball usually goes wide near the boundary. Unless he develops wider tracking patterns the ball carriers will not see/ignore him. I’ll be watching that.
    Agreed. Sweet definitely needs coaching to work out his positioning during general play. I think his tap ruck work is great but he wasn't so effective tonight against the Hawks. Then again, he seemed to learn and did a few big thumps when we were on top after Q1. The challenge now is that Schache had a decent game as second ruck and may keep that spot when Timmy returns.

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Agreed. Sweet definitely needs coaching to work out his positioning during general play. I think his tap ruck work is great but he wasn't so effective tonight against the Hawks. Then again, he seemed to learn and did a few big thumps when we were on top after Q1. The challenge now is that Schache had a decent game as second ruck and may keep that spot when Timmy returns.
    Sweet had 7 disposals tonight and no marks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    according to the AFL stats Schache had 3 hitouts. His time in the centre bounce didn’t work out in our favour..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    according to the AFL stats Schache had 3 hitouts. His time in the centre bounce didn’t work out in our favour..
    He competed well though Danjul. There was a part in the last quarter where he wrestled with multiple efforts for the ball that was in dispute. I would have liked him to have a few more hit outs but I was very happy with his effort and intent.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sweet had 7 disposals tonight and no marks
    He was terrible in the first half.
    Hard to step up from VFL and be the main guy but the idea he is some sort of effective ruck just needs to be put to bed.
    Hit-outs mean very little in the modern game
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

He was really ordinary in the first half but I thought he tried and worked into the game.

There's such a long way to go with him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that he was well beaten early. Better second half like most of the team

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet was awful in the first Q.

Thought he started to compete a lot of better as the game wore on, and by the end of the game, without seeing his stats felt comfortable enough to say to my dad and brother that I thought he had a good game.

For me, it’s a bit like when you blood a full back. They are going to get bags kicked on them. Our best ever defender in Lake got touched up a few times early on. Sweet is going through the same development arc, which if we put more time into him earlier, we might have pushed through by now.

Either way, happy with his appetite for the contest and work ethic. The rest will come.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the types of games where I'm happy for him to be given experience because he's the obvious choice as a first ruck, given Martin is seemingly/ demonstrably gone.

I can't see him developing sufficient skills to be ruck/ forward when English is right to go.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.