Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Why there is method to Luke Beveridge's Bulldogs' madness, and Jack Macrae is a consistent star

To many AFL fans, Luke Beveridge can be difficult to understand. Since he took over as Western Bulldogs head coach, the team has firmly run his way. But that's often counter to the logic of outsiders.

He's quoted both Che Guavara and the children's book The Salty Dog to his team as motivational tools, a group which he runs on a principle of trust, and working together towards a common goal.

Each Thursday, when team selection comes around, guesses at the Dogs selections seem to fail even the most avid followers. Beveridge shows the appropriate amount of respect to traditional team positions and sheets — none. The only thing that matters is victory.

That way has also been a successful one, with Beveridge the most successful coach in the Bulldogs' long history.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-...e=abc_news_web
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why there is method to Luke Beveridge's Bulldogs' madness, and Jack Macrae is a consistent star

My all time favourite Bevo-ism; and one that I often use now as a phrase of derision is the snow button story.

TL;DR is he was on a trip to America in the off-season, it was winter and his hire car had a snow button which must configure the car to perform better in the snow.

He had no idea what the snow button did (as most of us probably don't).

He went on his journey, and on the return leg he had seen a car broken down in the snow.

He paused, looked at the crowd and dryly announced : "No snow button".

The analogy was every piece of the puzzle in an organisation was critical to it's functioning. Even the ones we don't really understand.

I just loved the way he delivered the line "No snow button"! He had no idea what it did !

4. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why there is method to Luke Beveridge's Bulldogs' madness, and Jack Macrae is a consistent star

The advancement of 'Bevo Ball' is the way that territory is gained and retained. It seemingly exists to make other sides uncomfortable — the concept of gaining the upper hand via uncertainty. It all starts with the Bulldogs' taut defensive set-up — one based on teamwork and spacing. At the moment of a turnover, the Bulldogs are quick to scramble into shape — setting up triangles across the ground to segment the field from opponents.
    This is a very weird set of words to be writing about this team in this year.

The article is great btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post

I think that's where it's failing. We're not quick enough to get back into shape, possibly our forwards aren't buying us enough time, entries need to be better, and we get sliced apart.

Thanks for posting, great analytical article compared to the dross usually dished up in the media.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic article explaining tactics, game plan and how important the mids are.

PS: Dunkley is 191cm I didn't check the rest
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

The rest were wrong as well I think.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think that's where it's failing. We're not quick enough to get back into shape, possibly our forwards aren't buying us enough time, entries need to be better, and we get sliced apart.

Thanks for posting, great analytical article compared to the dross usually dished up in the media.
    No problem for posting I thought this might scratch your itch for some analytics; plus finally good to see our tax $ being spent on something we are passionate about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The rest were wrong as well I think.
    Do we need to get the RMIT ABC Fact Checker to get out to Whitten oval with the tape measure?

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post

I think it’s accurate of what we try to do. We don’t have any great interceptors but we do have fantastic decision makers and ball users, so once we manufacture a “dirty” turnover we generally try to handball our way into a Daniel or Dale into space.

The problems have come as teams have sort of figured this out and turned up the heat on our exits. Adelaide did it remarkably well for one.

Maybe if we had a genuine intercept defender we wouldn’t have to work so hard.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shows how much we rely on our pressure being high to force those dump kick/turnovers and swarm->overlap->gain territory->keep territory->score a point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think it’s accurate of what we try to do. We don’t have any great interceptors but we do have fantastic decision makers and ball users, so once we manufacture a “dirty” turnover we generally try to handball our way into a Daniel or Dale into space.

The problems have come as teams have sort of figured this out and turned up the heat on our exits. Adelaide did it remarkably well for one.

Maybe if we had a genuine intercept defender we wouldn’t have to work so hard.
    It was a tough watch in the stands last week watching Paddy McCartin take intercept marks for fun whilst our bumbling & fumbling defence made all sorts of *!*!*!*!-ups.... like an impossible watch! Especially with a crowd who largely don't watch the game.

Sydney sat on Bailey Dale which left us left to use the likes of Richards, Hannan & Treloar to clear the ball and we turned it over at will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It was a tough watch in the stands last week watching Paddy McCartin take intercept marks for fun whilst our bumbling & fumbling defence made all sorts of *!*!*!*!-ups.... like an impossible watch! Especially with a crowd who largely don't watch the game.

Sydney sat on Bailey Dale which left us left to use the likes of Richards, Hannan & Treloar to clear the ball and we turned it over at will.
    They go to the footy to catch up with friends and blabber on during the game (until a goal is scored), read books and knit. I'm all for it.

Post Thanks / Like

The snow button would be referring to the Dees. We had broken down and we’re not able to turn it on when needed.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Shows how much we rely on our pressure being high to force those dump kick/turnovers and swarm->overlap->gain territory->keep territory->score a point.
    The way we play is a variant of pretty much how every team plays (we exaggerate the press more) and if any midfield/ team doesn't bring the pressure between the arcs they all get walked through.

We just don't have the insurance of quality interceptors/ defenders and when the likes of Easton leave and Duryea is out lack communication/ organisation.

22. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post