Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

WATCH CENTURIONS NOW: A ton at 21 to a Brownlow, Templeton's extraordinary career

WATCH CENTURIONS NOW: A ton at 21 to a Brownlow, Templeton's extraordinary career

Kelvin Templeton opens up to Damian Barrett about his jam-packed career in the fourth episode of Centurions

KELVIN Templeton's extraordinary VFL career saw him kick a century of goals as a 21-year-old in 1978 and then win a Brownlow Medal two years later in a different position for a team which finished third last.

Templeton's 12 seasons – 143 matches from 1974-82 with Footscray, 34 games between 1983-85 with Melbourne – were jam-packed with matchday highlights, brilliant goals, unfortunate injuries and explosive headlines, many coming out of court hearings and legal documents, covering his transfer from the Dogs to the Demons.

He is the latest guest on AFL.com.au's special series Centurions, highlighting the VFL/AFL's elite 28 players (21 still living) who have kicked 100 goals in a season.

This Centurions episode was filmed at Victoria Park, the venue at which Templeton both made his debut as 17-year-old – where he was belted by Collingwood great Len Thompson – and kicked his 100th goal of the 1978 season.

Templeton still managed to boot six goals in his debut game.

"Len Thompson gave me a 'welcome to the VFL', gave me a whack, which happened to be right in front of the umpire, and he gave me a free kick so my first kick was in the goalsquare," Templeton said.

Templeton kicked 593 goals (average of 3.35), including a famous 15-goal return (from 24 shots at goal) in the 1978 season. He booted 82 goals in 1976, 40 when regularly injured in 1977, 118 in 1978, 91 in 1979 and 75 in 1980, when he played at centre half-forward and won the Brownlow Medal.

"The 1980 season was well ahead of any season I had had prior to that, including '78, it was just the level of difficulty, as centre half-forward is more difficult to play than full-forward," Templeton said.

Templeton was also instrumental in establishing the Sydney Swans as a powerhouse in Sydney, serving as CEO of the club from 1996 to 2002.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Bulldog4life, SquirrelGrip, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, 1eyedog, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WATCH CENTURIONS NOW: A ton at 21 to a Brownlow, Templeton's extraordinary career

My favourite player in the 70s, early 80s. I went to every match and it was hard losing, but worth seeing Kelvin.

He was one of the best FF I have ever seen
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WATCH CENTURIONS NOW: A ton at 21 to a Brownlow, Templeton's extraordinary career

Fellow Brownlow Medallist John Schultz made the statement that Templeton at his best was the most thorough in game preparation he had ever witnessed.

5. Thanks bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best. Player. Ever.

Put him in the Hall Of Fame. The others comparable players in his bracket are in the *!*!*!*!ing Legends bracket already.

Thanks for posting Axey.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Best player I've ever seen live. He was just so strong one on one and explosive off the mark making him difficult to match up on. A player too quick for tall opponents and too good in the air for faster players.

An elegant kick of the football and a classic marking technique made him a joy to watch.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that Laurie Serafini chasing him? Think I had his footy card!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is that Laurie Serafini chasing him? Think I had his footy card!
    Yep and that's Ron Alexander in the background.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post