Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A system that is broken

From SEN

A system that is broken Why the Bulldogs need an “offseason of change” to fix issues

David King believes the Western Bulldogs have serious structural and game-style concerns that will need to be addressed by an “off-season of change” at the end of 2022.

The Bulldogs sit tenth on the ladder, only a game out of the top eight after winning five of their last seven matches.

However, they seemed to get exposed against Brisbane in Round 16 when the Lions went at a remarkable 64 per cent efficiency inside 50.

“In terms of pressure, I think the Western Bulldogs are under more pressure than anyone right now with their game,” King told SEN Mornings.

“I had a look at them on Thursday night and saw Brisbane walk the ball down the ground more often than not … I had a look at how often they actually intercept the opposition, they’re second last in the competition this year, the Kangaroos are the only team that are poorer at winning the ball back off the opposition.

“I look down back and see Alex Keath, he was brought to the Dogs to be an interceptor, that’s not happening.

“Tim O’Brien gets caught in no man's land more than any other player I’ve seen … he just gets leapfrogged consistently.

“I think they need drastic change.”

King floated the idea of one of the Bulldogs' tall forwards going back behind the ball, acknowledging Aaron Naughton and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan as potential suits for the role.

However, the former North Melbourne star also highlighted problems with the club’s midfield unit.

Outside of games against Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Carlton, the Dogs average 45 points from clearance. However, against those sides, that number drops to just 29 points, King believing: “numbers against the rest mean nothing when you get to the pointy end”.

“This is why I think they’re struggling. their brand or mode of football is not working. They’re not winning the ball back, and even when they play against the best they’re not getting through at stoppage,” he added.

“Their whole system is geared around these mids. Is it good for them individually or is it good for them as a team? I think right now, you’d have to say it’s good for them individually.”

It left King thinking that changes need to be made at the end of 2023.

“They’ve won a lot of games over the last few years but we’re talking about 2022, so I think there’s an offseason of change (needed) at the Dogs,” the dual-premiership Kangaroo said.

“They need to have a look at the whole mechanics of how they play. No one’s saying anything about coaching or anything like that, this is just a system that is broken.”

Of their remaining seven games, the Bulldogs play five teams above them on the ladder in what is one of the toughest runs home of any finals contenders.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A system that is broken

Where I believe King has it wrong is when he says Keath was brought in to be an interceptor, I think it's clear that we have asked that he become a 1 v 1 defender and he has most done a fine job at that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Where I believe King has it wrong is when he says Keath was brought in to be an interceptor, I think it's clear that we have asked that he become a 1 v 1 defender and he has most done a fine job at that.
    Yes I think Keath was an interceptor but we wanted to use him as a one on one type.

I can't argue with much else in there. Brisbane waltzing through last week was Norf levels of resistance.

Post Thanks / Like

Same article as the Foxfooty one.

Naughton must play forward
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From SEN

A system that is broken Why the Bulldogs need an “offseason of change” to fix issues

David King believes the Western Bulldogs have serious structural and game-style concerns that will need to be addressed by an “off-season of change” at the end of 2022.

However, they seemed to get exposed against Brisbane in Round 16 when the Lions went at a remarkable 64 per cent efficiency inside 50.

“They need to have a look at the whole mechanics of how they play. No one’s saying anything about coaching or anything like that, this is just a system that is broken.”
    King must be trying to avoid the Bevo sin bin.

If the system doesn't work it is on the coaching because it is their job to design the system.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    King must be trying to avoid the Bevo sin bin.

If the system doesn't work it is on the coaching because it is their job to design the system.
    To be fair to King he was referencing off season changes need to be made to the game plan. Not removal of the head coach.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Same article as the Foxfooty one.

Naughton must play forward
    Totally. The solution is to trade in a KPD, not move a generational KPF back.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond's win v West Coast on the weekend was eerily similar to our win v GWS recently but the media narrative is stunningly different. We kicked 19 v GWS but all I heard was about our "flaky defence" yet Richmond allowed 27 scoring shots to the Eagles and allowed them clear passage from D50 to score effortlessly numerous times but all I heard was that Richmond are "coming again". Not saying we don't have issues defending but seriously the reason I don't watch most of the analytical shows is there is no mention of us at all when we win but a massive pile on when we get knocked over. Can utilize my time better.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Not saying we don't have issues defending but seriously the reason I don't watch most of the analytical shows is there is no mention of us at all when we win but a massive pile on when we get knocked over.
    I don't like it when they state the bleeding obvious without solutions. I think King tries and whether you like the idea of moving Naughts back (I don't) or not when you are ranked #17 for intercept possessions and pretty much ALL of your defenders are poorly rated 1-v-1 by every statistic known to man (and yes, I know we don't really defend 1v1) then questions and criticisms are going to be levelled at us...Having played in a GF last year after spending 90% of the season in the top 4 coming off back to back finals appearances (disappointing performances but we did make it!) in 2019 and 2020, I think it's indisputable our season has been really, really, REALLY poor.

All of that said - the Brisbane game - an away game against a top side back to full-strength coming off a loss and their OWN share of media scrutiny? All of that on the back of 2x 6-day breaks with several key defenders missing? Ummm...yeah. I didn't think we would or could win last Thursday night and the game went much as expected (though I do wonder what might have happened had our early dominance been turned into, you know - actual GOALS).

I don't mind the analysis shows 'coming for us'. I mostly hate it when they ignore us as an irrelevence.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't like it when they state the bleeding obvious without solutions.
    We all know the bleeding obvious, what we do want are solutions.

A few weeks ago King was saying Naughton to the backline is the solution. Now this week he says it should be Bruce or Jamarra.

We have to stop the balls coming into our defence in the first place - that might help.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We all know the bleeding obvious, what we do want are solutions.

A few weeks ago King was saying Naughton to the backline is the solution. Now this week he says it should be Bruce or Jamarra.

We have to stop the balls coming into our defence in the first place - that might help.
    Which King actually said...

however, the former North Melbourne star also highlighted problems with the club’s midfield unit.

Outside of games against Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Carlton, the Dogs average 45 points from clearance. However, against those sides, that number drops to just 29 points, King believing: “numbers against the rest mean nothing when you get to the pointy end”.

“This is why I think they’re struggling. their brand or mode of football is not working. They’re not winning the ball back, and even when they play against the best they’re not getting through at stoppage,” he added.

“Their whole system is geared around these mids. Is it good for them individually or is it good for them as a team? I think right now, you’d have to say it’s good for them individually.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Which King actually said...

however, the former North Melbourne star also highlighted problems with the club’s midfield unit.

Bevo spoke a bit about this today, and he intimated that the full list of variables aren't necessarily being looked at when critiquing. For example he said in the first quarter we caused 11 turnovers inside our forward half, and yet for all that dominance, only had 0.1 to show for it on the scoreboard. So the connectivity and conversion is the main issue in that context, not our ability to defend or win the ball back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bevo spoke a bit about this today, and he intimated that the full list of variables aren't necessarily being looked at when critiquing. For example he said in the first quarter we caused 11 turnovers inside our forward half, and yet for all that dominance, only had 0.1 to show for it on the scoreboard. So the connectivity and conversion is the main issue in that context, not our ability to defend or win the ball back.
    He did touch on it. I actually think our media person did their job and briefed him on the likely questions!

Why did we only score 0.1 behinds? Was it us or the opposition? Either way our forward connection has long been a source of discontent.

YHF do you honestly believe we defended well on the weekend or since the bye?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure where to find inside 50s conceded stats but I think we would rank fairly well. We are number 1 for inside 50s ourselves which in itself is an outlier for the league with inside 50s largely in line with ladder position.

Clearly our forward efficiency is a major problem, we get it in there more that any other team but don't score enough from those entries. I think most would also agree that the better teams score too easily when they enter our defensive 50 as we rarely give up high inside 50 numbers to the opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not sure where to find inside 50s conceded stats but I think we would rank fairly well. We are number 1 for inside 50s ourselves which in itself is an outlier for the league with inside 50s largely in line with ladder position.

Clearly our forward efficiency is a major problem, we get it in there more that any other team but don't score enough from those entries. I think most would also agree that the better teams score too easily when they enter our defensive 50 as we rarely give up high inside 50 numbers to the opposition.
    It's all a territory game for us we want it in there a lot, then press up to keep it there.

Problem 1 as I see it is yes we get it in there a heap, but against the better sides with decent pressure our delivery from mid=>forward is very poor. That's not coaching, can't think of many guys outside of Libba who can kick to the forward's advantage.

Problem 2 we can't keep it in there. So we push up this high zone and don't get nearly as many repeat entries as we should, and when we do...see problem 1. This is more likely tactical for me.

The sides that are doing well presently from what I can tell don't push up as high and don't really care about trapping it deep (as much as we do) as they have the defenders to rely on if it gets out.

666 and stand have had a huge effect. 666 clearances against us exposes our inability to defend the air. 666 for Melbourne just means it's raining men..ahem I mean goals as their backs can absorb the clearance (Lever intercepting) and then they score from rebound 50's (if they lose clearance that is).

Stand, well how's your high zone going when they oppo can just run around it. Again you want that strong structure deeper as the ball is definitely moving further down the ground with these rules.

There's little surprise to me teams like the Dockers and Demons are relishing these changes (including the kickout rule where you can run miles).

Have we adjusted (other than the 5 metres back)?
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 05-07-2022 at 05:36 PM.

19. Likes boydogs liked this post