Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone pleasse explain system and structure to a noob

OK So I've never played footy (or any team sport for that matter) and I've only been watching it since 2015. I hear 'system' and 'structure' bandied about a lot and I feel like I nearly understand what they mean, but I'm struggling.

My gut feel is that 'system' is like and extended playbook - it's the 'what you do when' sort of tactical methodology that takes the heat out of decision-making for players. It's things like (for the Tiges) - "run forward in waves when your mate has the ball".

'Structure" on the other hand feels like it's a 'where are you when' sort of thing - it's like "Caleb is always at CHB under these circumstances".

But then it starts to feel a bit like it's the same thing as 'system' and I get confused. Can any old hands help me out?

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone pleasse explain system and structure to a noob

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    OK So I've never played footy (or any team sport for that matter) and I've only been watching it since 2015. I hear 'system' and 'structure' bandied about a lot and I feel like I nearly understand what they mean, but I'm struggling.

My gut feel is that 'system' is like and extended playbook - it's the 'what you do when' sort of tactical methodology that takes the heat out of decision-making for players. It's things like (for the Tiges) - "run forward in waves when your mate has the ball".

'Structure" on the other hand feels like it's a 'where are you when' sort of thing - it's like "Caleb is always at CHB under these circumstances".

But then it starts to feel a bit like it's the same thing as 'system' and I get confused. Can any old hands help me out?
    I think you’ve pretty much nailed it. Structure would also include the structure of the team personal, ie how many talls, how many inside players etc. The success of the Sytem is dependent on having the correct structure and the right application of effort and discipline.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

4. Thanks Boots thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone pleasse explain system and structure to a noob

Structure is having tall forwards and defenders, system is more ball movement
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

6. Thanks Boots thanked for this post