Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  109
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Heat on Bevo?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat on Bevo?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We've thinned the depth of the talent pool though and we need our better players to perform with more consistency so they drag the others along.
    When you consider there has been improvement with some of the younger players of the likes of West, Richards and Weightman and some sensational form from Liberatore, B.Smith, Dale and English it opens up questions on why this has occurred.
    Smith and English have played ten and nine games respectively this year, out of sixteen.

Hunter has played seven, JJ has played four, Duryea eleven and Keath eleven. While I don't think our depth players have been where they need to be, our middle tier players have struggled for continuity as well.

That's six top to mid-tier players who out of a possible 96 games have missed 44 games (46%), which is quite a lot.

As for the depth itself, Hannan's only played four, Garcia three, and Vandermeer six. I would say it's these three who West has stood in for mostly, and he's done a great job in doing so. I agree the rest of the depth players have been patchy at best.

The overall continuity of our playing list has been terrible, outside of a handful of our better players who have been consistently available all year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Smith and English have played ten and nine games respectively this year, out of sixteen.

Hunter has played seven, JJ has played four, Duryea eleven and Keath eleven. While I don't think our depth players have been where they need to be, our middle tier players have struggled for continuity as well.

That's six top to mid-tier players who out of a possible 96 games have missed 44 games (46%), which is quite a lot.

As for the depth itself, Hannan's only played four, Garcia three, and Vandermeer six. I would say it's these three who West has stood in for mostly, and he's done a great job in doing so. I agree the rest of the depth players have been patchy at best.

The overall continuity of our playing list has been terrible, outside of a handful of our better players who have been consistently available all year.
    I feel like you could've written this for most seasons post 2015 Jee.
    Even 16 we had loads of injuries.

I personally think that's high on the agenda for review. Keath and English were injured at training, JJ in a warm up, Bruce had a set back after returning (too early?).

I have no idea why, or even if it's bad but needs a review at the very least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    B4L, I think our midfielders have shown they can get enough football.

Genuine question; would you play Scott Wynd or Tim English as our first ruck in 2022?
    John Schultz.

4. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    John Schultz.
    Touché!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

David Noble gone from North - best football manager in the business. Club surely must make a play for him as well as Leon Cameron to help out Bevo.

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    David Noble gone from North - best football manager in the business. Club surely must make a play for him as well as Leon Cameron to help out Bevo.
    Good suggestion. If there’s a bloke that would empathise with Bevo and the relentless pressure of coaching, it would be Noble.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Noble and Cameron, both I'd highly welcome into whatever roles we could put them in.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s not forget that Bont has had a shocker of a year compared to last year. Looks like he’s been carrying an injury of some sort all season. Libba obviously better, but Bont M.I.A, smith out and in a different headspace, Hunter missing huge chunk of season and injuries to JJ etc .

Williams in career bad form. Keath nowhere near 2021. Daniel down on form or injured.

While some have improved since last year, a lot have gone backwards and for this reason we are where we are. Other teams have worked us out and as most have said, we have no plan B.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

13. Likes hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Let’s not forget that Bont has had a shocker of a year compared to last year. Looks like he’s been carrying an injury of some sort all season. Libba obviously better, but Bont M.I.A, smith out and in a different headspace, Hunter missing huge chunk of season and injuries to JJ etc .

Williams in career bad form. Keath nowhere near 2021. Daniel down on form or injured.

While some have improved since last year, a lot have gone backwards and for this reason we are where we are. Other teams have worked us out and as most have said, we have no plan B.
    Or Williams back to "his level". I can't see Keath getting back to pre round 19 2021 heights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Or Williams back to "his level". I can't see Keath getting back to pre round 19 2021 heights.
    I agree. Keath looks tired and old out there with a battered body. He was brought over as an interceptor and made to play FB on the gorillas. That’s probably taken 2 years off him. God I can even fathom what a mess our backline would be in if Daniel and Dale missed a whole year.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree. Keath looks tired and old out there with a battered body. He was brought over as an interceptor and made to play FB on the gorillas. That’s probably taken 2 years off him. God I can even fathom what a mess our backline would be in if Daniel and Dale missed a whole year.
    There would be no run or creativity whatso ever.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 1:1 loss stat (won’t copy the whole set of images to save your scroll wheels) is deplorable. Absolutely deplorable. It’s a key requirement of the game (even if it’s a hard skill to master).

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    The 1:1 loss stat (won’t copy the whole set of images to save your scroll wheels) is deplorable. Absolutely deplorable. It’s a key requirement of the game (even if it’s a hard skill to master).
    It also makes it even more bewildering as to why they played Treloar down back who does not have a defensive bone in his body. Throw in Hannan first game down back and that is a recipe for disaster and we copped our whack.
    Last edited by Bullies; 12-07-2022 at 01:48 PM.

21. Likes DOG GOD, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    It also makes it even more bewildering as to why they played Treloar down back who does not have a defensive bone in his body. Throw in Hannan first game down back and that is a recipe for disaster and we copped our whack.
    I'm a little surprised that we didn't swap Hannan and Marra at 3/4 time, even if just for Marra's experience. What a chance to spend a little bit of time rotating into Buddy and maybe learn a thing or two. The game was dusted anyway
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

23. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    +1 for Noble and Cameron, both I'd highly welcome into whatever roles we could put them in.
    No chance either getting a gig. Bevo would never countenance two ex-senior coaches being dropped into the box with him to "review" what he is doing. You can't have 2 alpha's, let alone 3.