Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  109
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Heat on Bevo?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat on Bevo?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    In his presser after Sydney without saying it, he strongly hinted that our preparation this season hasn't been good. This isn't 100% word for word... just me quickly typing as listening.

"you look at it as what's gone wrong, hurdles in the way that each team faces, or look at it that other teams have improved... I won't make excuses... there's some relativity around it. The margins are small, close wins, beat the top teams... it takes an enormous amount of conviction, enormous amount of preparation, enormous amount of sophistication with what you do. I still think the sophistication is there but whether it's the preparation or the capacity to do it is just not there at the moment. There's a number of factors, but ultimately the competition at the pointy end of the competition has gone past us. We're going through some change. Going through some evolution in the back end. We need to challenge ourselves to get the best template.

The now is absolutely important for us but the future is critical to lay some foundations to set ourselves up for what happens in the future. Part of that will ensue in the coming weeks, and we'll obviously still endeavour to beat those in front of us".

So he thinks the sophistication is there - IE: The coaching? The plan? The skills of the team?
    The preparation and the conviction maybe not? Some people not giving 100% any more? Is preparation coaching? Individuals? Overall fitness program?

And the last bit more or less calls out that we're going to turn an eye to next year. He can't say "we don't care about winning" but he was pretty clear that we're looking to the future. You'd expect a few changes this week, and surely one of those is Darcy if he's physically up to it.
    Thanks for that, I'm a Bevo fan and while in many aspects he deserves to have some extra pressure applied to him by the media the observation I have is that why is there a sharp decline in the teams performance after what we would deem as highly successful seasons in 2016 and 2021?

Injuries happen and the area's that have been identified and even acknowledged are the same area's that we had at the end of last season. We've gone on record that we are interested in talking to Rory Lobb, although I'm not convinced yet that we are genuinely in the hunt for him, and the media seems to believe we have the feelers out for a key defender be that Logue or Jones I really don't know.
    I do think the problems run a bit deeper than two key positions.

The quality of our list is still pretty strong but I doubt we are fighting as hard on match day as we should be.

Bevo got off to a rocky start this year and was failing in his presentations to the media and fans but to his full credit I think he's been brilliantly strong and honest in the last few weeks when the pressure has been right on him. The sign of a man who's committed.
    Is his message getting across to the players as strongly as it should be? I really don't know but I think he's a very good coach and an easy one for he players to get right behind.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So.. is Beveridge in excuse mode or fix our problem mode to bounce back in 2023?

What I'm interpreting is another dip for a year or two (ala 2017/18) which quite frankly is unacceptable.
    Last edited by azabob; 11-07-2022 at 03:35 PM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes DOG GOD, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So.. is Beveridge in excuse mode or fix our problem mode to bounce back in 2023?

What I'm interpreting is another dip for a year or to (ala 2017/18) which quite frankly is unacceptable.
    Very different to 2017/18 which was a mini rebuild, and is not what is required.

We are missing some quality in the backline and backup ruck.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm interpreting is another dip for a year or to (ala 2017/18) which quite frankly is unacceptable.
    To be honest, I’m not expecting much change from what we see now til the start of next year.
    I’ll be surprised if there’s even a review.
    We might land Lobb thru desperation but I don’t see much else list wise.
    And I’m expecting next year to be just as mediocre as this one.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Very different to 2017/18 which was a mini rebuild, and is not what is required.

We are missing some quality in the backline and backup ruck.
    The backline is being carved up by fast, quality deliveries because of not playing man on man or standing the mark. No one can hold that tide back.

15 scoring shots against us in the first quarter and nothing done to change things.

Nothing could be done because we play the game one way and it will always succeed.

No need for plan B, like when English comes back from concussion and might need some support. (Where did Sydney get that superstar ruckman from anyway?)

8. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    To be honest, I’m not expecting much change from what we see now til the start of next year.
    I’ll be surprised if there’s even a review.
    We might land Lobb thru desperation but I don’t see much else list wise.
    And I’m expecting next year to be just as mediocre as this one.
    From hearing that presser he sounded quite down but quite confident if the changes can be made it can turnaround long term. I wouldn't be surprised if they go hard at the list and if there are buyers for some players and the deal is right then I can see a bit of turnover. It wouldn't surprise if JJ, Hunter, Schache and a few others find new homes. I don't think Dunks will be there and i think they will use his currency to get a "needs" player. We really need to cut those at the bottom of the list - R Smith, McComb and a few of the list cloggers. We lack depth - our bottom 6 in the 1's are dreadful and in 2016 they helped win us the flag. Bevo also has to be accountable he is responsible for bringing in guys and playing them in or out of position. As i said previously they need a Leon Cameron to help Bevo and a David Noble - Football Manager.

10. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I don't think Dunks will be there and i think they will use his currency to get a "needs" player.
    I keep reading this but what currency does Dunks have?

He's an out of contract, 4-5th midfielder at a middle of the road team.

He's a 3rd round pick. Maybe 2nd. If you think we get more, well, I'd love to understand why? Essendon offered more last time but they needed to extract a contracted player then...no longer!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all, there might be some contributing factors but excuses are just that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I keep reading this but what currency does Dunks have?

He's an out of contract, 4-5th midfielder at a middle of the road team.

He's a 3rd round pick. Maybe 2nd. If you think we get more, well, I'd love to understand why? Essendon offered more last time but they needed to extract a contracted player then...no longer!
    Essentially he's a highly sort after midfielder and he would be worth vastly more than that in a team that needs a bigger stronger midfielder.
    If the rumours (just that) are true of an interest in him going to SA for a team like Adelaide he would balance things out nicely with Laird and really give their midfield a stronger presence.

For the right team he's worth a 1st round pick or 2 x 2nd round picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Essentially he's a highly sort after midfielder and he would be worth vastly more than that in a team that needs a bigger stronger midfielder.
    If the rumours (just that) are true of an interest in him going to SA for a team like Adelaide he would balance things out nicely with Laird and really give their midfield a stronger presence.

For the right team he's worth a 1st round pick or 2 x 2nd round picks.
    Statistically he's having one of his best years. Better than 2020 I think when he was out the door.

I'd say a first round pick 10-18 would have to be involved. But he could walk to the draft.

15. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Statistically he's having one of his best years. Better than 2020 I think when he was out the door.

I'd say a first round pick 10-18 would have to be involved. But he could walk to the draft.
    You think North would take him regardless if that was the case?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He'd be a good mentor for some of their young mids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He'd be a good mentor for some of their young mids.
    Why would he go to a team like North?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why would he go to a team like North?
    $$$$$$$$$$
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$
    I am expecting him to sign a new contract