Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  109
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Heat on Bevo?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat on Bevo?

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Has anyone seen an article where the players are copping heat/ pressure yet?

Or is the game too nuanced now for even ex-footballers who recently retired to know that defending/ squeezing between the arcs is pretty much what every single team does/ needs to do, and it's the players who either don't or do execute the same plan most teams take into a game to do so?

And the stand vs. five debate is giving me the shits. Our under-sized/ under-skilled defence would be absolutely baked if players were allowed to waltz around the standing mark quickly.
    I haven't seen much really singling out the players. A few scattered pieces. Most of the comments are about the about getting a key defender and how well Lobb might fit in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Or is the game too nuanced now for even ex-footballers who recently retired to know that defending/ squeezing between the arcs is pretty much what every single team does/ needs to do, and it's the players who either don't or do execute the same plan most teams take into a game to do so?

And the stand vs. five debate is giving me the shits. Our under-sized/ under-skilled defence would be absolutely baked if players were allowed to waltz around the standing mark quickly.
    HB Meyers from the Mongrel Punt put together a piece focusing on English and how he isn’t up to being a ruck and how Beveridge is letting the team down by sticking with only one ruckman. I don’t know man, it’s acknowledged we are not good enough as a team but I guess Bevo is the head honcho and it easier to question him, the decision making and strategy?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Hannan copped it for being a crap defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I haven't seen much really singling out the players. A few scattered pieces. Most of the comments are about the about getting a key defender and how well Lobb might fit in.
    This is the team that won three finals on the road last year. Except Richards has improved, Gardner has improved. English has improved. (Read it here)

I can see that JUH has improved. Naughton’s goal kicking has improved. I think even Schache has improved.

So what is different that could explain the drop in success apart from Young leaving?

I have my suspicions, and they don’t include a player rebellion where they are all refusing to play the game as instructed.

What is the new thing that the players are not coping with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    This is the team that won three finals on the road last year. Except Richards has improved, Gardner has improved. English has improved. (Read it here)

I can see that JUH has improved. Naughton’s goal kicking has improved. I think even Schache has improved.

So what is different that could explain the drop in success apart from Young leaving?

I have my suspicions, and they don’t include a player rebellion where they are all refusing to play the game as instructed.

What’s your suspicions Danjul ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that our “old guard” moved across to Freo and look at the way they are performing. We had it all in 2016. The only thing he were looking for was maturity of the playing group and Bevos ego in check
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting stats from Bigfooty.

(credit user Oliver Gigacz)

9. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing really. Don't think the walking back off the mark has alot to do with those stats.

Gardner is 3rd in the comp for spoils too.....

Post Thanks / Like

On 360 Slobbo said the Hun is doing a piece on the dogs tomorrow and when asked to speak to Grant or Baines, it was declined.

I guess that’s one way to allow speculation to grow…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    On 360 Slobbo said the Hun is doing a piece on the dogs tomorrow and when asked to speak to Grant or Baines, it was declined.

We really don't like doing media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

A missed opportunity. It shouldn't be just on Bevo to respond to media and both Grant and Bains need to take a turn or two at the wheel.

14. Likes Grantysghost, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So your opinion is the only one that we should listen to?.
    Why would you write this?

I am only talking about myself and what I like and don't like.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone really think the heat has been on Bevo? I think it's coming if we don't win this week but it's been reasonable so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

I think our bottom 6 are not contributing enough and supporting the rest of the team. Too much is left to a few. That is the difference from last year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think our bottom 6 are not contributing enough and supporting the rest of the team. Too much is left to a few. That is the difference from last year.
    We've thinned the depth of the talent pool though and we need our better players to perform with more consistency so they drag the others along.
    When you consider there has been improvement with some of the younger players of the likes of West, Richards and Weightman and some sensational form from Liberatore, B.Smith, Dale and English it opens up questions on why this has occurred.