Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who was there? - Round 21, 1997, Whitten Oval, Saturday August 23, Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

Whitten Oval's last hurrah https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-s-last-hurrah

Sounds a good game and an amazing day. Michael Gardiner would remember it.

Who was there? What was it like?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who was there? - Round 21, 1997, Whitten Oval, Saturday August 23, Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

After the game I picked some grass from the Doug Hawkins wing it’s still in my fridge to this day

3. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who was there? - Round 21, 1997, Whitten Oval, Saturday August 23, Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

I was in the pocket where they went Gardner at the start of the game. It was clear as day they were going to go and rough him up and it got the crowd going. Dent copped a decent punch to the face.

I couldn't get over the size of the Eagles players, looked like genuine steroid abusers (McIntosh in particular).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I was in the pocket where they went Gardner at the start of the game. It was clear as day they were going to go and rough him up and it got the crowd going. Dent copped a decent punch to the face.

I couldn't get over the size of the Eagles players, looked like genuine steroid abusers (McIntosh in particular).
    Was there right at the bark in the pocket, between the EJ Whitten Stand and the Barkly St Entrance. There with my youngest brother and good mate.

Was hoping the crowd got fired-up to take down the Goal and point posts but then who was going to souvenir them? I lived 800 metres away and was thinking I could walk home one!

7. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Missed it, as I was working in Asia in the 90s
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there. Stood behind the goals in the pouring rain and watched the boys head straight towards Gardiner.

I loved that 97-98 team.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed it was playing back in those days.

Spewing!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there. It was the second game I ever went to. Can’t really remember anything except that it was freezing and that we stood on those stair things in the right forward pocket at the Geelong Rd end.

I had a really sweet t-shirt from that day that read “Dog’s vs Eagle’s” and the date of the game on the front that I wore until it all but disintegrated a couple of years ago.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes Grantysghost, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was there. It was the second game I ever went to. Can’t really remember anything except that it was freezing and that we stood on those stair things in the right forward pocket at the Geelong Rd end.

I had a really sweet t-shirt from that day that read “Dog’s vs Eagle’s” and the date of the game on the front that I wore until it all but disintegrated a couple of years ago.
    They're called mad *!*!*!*! stages.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there. Drove down from Bendigo via Daylesford. It was snowing at Leonards Hill.
    Freezing day. Rain and wind. Heavy ground. Exciting opening. Steve Kretiuk led rhe welcoming committee along with Craig Ellis abd Daniel Southern. It was "Shock and Awe' and the perfect way to set the agenda for a fine wiñ. Cousins kicked the last goal - pity that.

The drive home was good.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

16. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a great day there down the Geelong road end. Was sad but also an awesome day.

The crowd was in fine form!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see us playing at the Whitten Oval again. I prefer my football standing up!

19. Likes Swoop, HOSE B ROMERO, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I was there. Drove down from Bendigo via Daylesford. It was snowing at Leonards Hill.
    Freezing day. Rain and wind. Heavy ground. Exciting opening. Steve Kretiuk led rhe welcoming committee along with Craig Ellis abd Daniel Southern. It was "Shock and Awe' and the perfect way to set the agenda for a fine wiñ. Cousins kicked the last goal - pity that.

The drive home was good.
    Matthew Dent from memory too. That was a hard team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Matthew Dent from memory too. That was a hard team.
    Yes, he was a tough nut. Could give a good account of himself, as they say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post

The drive home was good.
    Gardiner acquitted himself well in the push and shove. It was impressive the way he handled himself.
    I try and watch this game each year. We had some very talented players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"