Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who was there? - Round 21, 1997, Whitten Oval, Saturday August 23, Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

I missed it as I was working in Windsor. Remember being pissed off, but weekends were hard to get off in those days.

My last Whitten Oval game was the Freo one from the season before, had a good win and it was *!*!*!*!ing cold. The good old days.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who was there? - Round 21, 1997, Whitten Oval, Saturday August 23, Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

I went with a work colleague and he wanted to stand on the outer wing near the elevated coaches box - it was the only time I watched a Bulldogs game from the outer side of ground. Remember it being wet and cold - what else could you expect at the
    Western Oval in winter!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I missed it as I was working in Windsor. Remember being pissed off, but weekends were hard to get off in those days.

My last Whitten Oval game was the Freo one from the season before, had a good win and it was *!*!*!*!ing cold. The good old days.
    Was that the game where Ben Allan had a shot to win after the siren from 55m out as a direct result of an errant Peter Quill kick inboard at D50, when the whole crowd were screaming at him to kick it long to the Doug Hawkins wing boundary?

I don't remember it at all......
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Was that the game where Ben Allan had a shot to win after the siren from 55m out as a direct result of an errant Peter Quill kick inboard at D50, when the whole crowd were screaming at him to kick it long to the Doug Hawkins wing boundary?

I don't remember it at all......
    Nah, not that one. We won by 3 or 4 goals and Daniel Hargraves kicked 5(and looked like he was going to be a star).
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I was there, belted with rain in the lead up to the game, conditions atrocious, crowd huge and whitten was overflowing, looked everywhere in surrounding streets for a park, couldnt find one, was receiving a lot of commentary on where I should park from family members in the car, which was greatly appreciated as you might imagine.

Ended up parking illegally right next to where the players now enter the training facility from the car park - did not get a fine which was a good result.

What a great side we fielded that day - incredible talent across every line - amazing energy in the air at the ground. Our supporters were in a ruthless mood. The eagles may not have appreciated what they were walking into, a rabid bulldog side in front of a huge and passionate record crowd baying for Eagles blood. We'd never loved them, they stole our coach, we'd had the melee over the Steve Wallis hip and shoulder, Southern the scapegoat suspended, and we just never have particularly liked West Coast. They are everything we arent - entitled, old money, privilege and power.

Post Thanks / Like

1 was there too. Standing close to the player's race. Drenched. But that was the norm in those days. Men didn't use umbrellas at the footy. Especially if you were a tough doggie supporter. Saw so many die-hards there that day. I will always remember it. Great game.

7. Likes merantau, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Yep I was there, belted with rain in the lead up to the game, conditions atrocious, crowd huge and whitten was overflowing, looked everywhere in surrounding streets for a park, couldnt find one, was receiving a lot of commentary on where I should park from family members in the car, which was greatly appreciated as you might imagine.

Ended up parking illegally right next to where the players now enter the training facility from the car park - did not get a fine which was a good result.

What a great side we fielded that day - incredible talent across every line - amazing energy in the air at the ground. Our supporters were in a ruthless mood. The eagles may not have appreciated what they were walking into, a rabid bulldog side in front of a huge and passionate record crowd baying for Eagles blood. We'd never loved them, they stole our coach, we'd had the melee over the Steve Wallis hip and shoulder, Southern the scapegoat suspended, and we just never have particularly liked West Coast. They are everything we arent - entitled, old money, privilege and power.
    I wanna go into battle now.
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there. Standing on the Doug Hawkins Wing. Great memories of the Western Oval/Whitten Oval.

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Nah, not that one. We won by 3 or 4 goals and Daniel Hargraves kicked 5(and looked like he was going to be a star).
    Man, he could kick like a mule.

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    1 was there too. Standing close to the player's race. Drenched. But that was the norm in those days. Men didn't use umbrellas at the footy. Especially if you were a tough doggie supporter. Saw so many die-hards there that day. I will always remember it. Great game.
    Standing beside the player's race! My favourite place to watch.

15. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haunts me to this day.

I wasn't there. I was in Bonnie Doon on my u/12s end of season footy trip.

I just assumed the "act time" at the Whitten Oval would be like a John Farnham. "Last Time" so didn't tell my folks that I really wanted to go to that instead.

17. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was one of our 'Cultural Days'!

The only time i've been to a coterie group function. I won tickets to the past players hosted by Alan Mannix.
    Anyway we were oblivious to the weather until we walked out 20 minutes before the game. There in the pouring rain was an islander group bare chested dancing on the oval!

We scurried up into the front row of the Whitten stand.

I know it's a cliche but there was no way known we were going to lose that day. The energy and emotion was terrific. What a season that was after the gloominess of the previous seasons. Plough brought a toughness and innovativeness.

19. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    It was one of our 'Cultural Days'!

The only time i've been to a coterie group function. I won tickets to the past players hosted by Alan Mannix.
    Anyway we were oblivious to the weather until we walked out 20 minutes before the game. There in the pouring rain was an islander group bare chested dancing on the oval!

We scurried up into the front row of the Whitten stand.

I know it's a cliche but there was no way known we were going to lose that day. The energy and emotion was terrific. What a season that was after the gloominess of the previous seasons. Plough brought a toughness and innovativeness.
    Lives in Flinders these days.

21. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I would love to see us playing at the Whitten Oval again. I prefer my football standing up!
    We just may in the future. Would be cool to play 1 home game there each season.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

23. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there. Standing on the gravel hill at the Geelong road end drinking VB cans from the bar in the rain. It was a bittersweet day, as I knew this precious slice of our western suburbs football ritual was going to be gone forever. But at least we won. My then girlfriend, now wife, has some super 8 film from the day. She's trying to find it now. Nothing could make me happier than to see the Western Oval become the 3rd Melbourne AFL stadium. I would KILL to have a home ground like Geelong has, and in a crazy way, well.....not actually crazy way at all.... we are probably the only Melbourne team that could actually do it. It's the only one that makes sense geographically and public transport wise. with enough land around it, small enough* supporter base, and access from the CBD. I guess it's never gonna happen. But I'm hoping.....At grass roots level however some things never change. Watched my boy play for Flemington v West Footscray today. was such a great game and both teams play finals next week against each other. I remember playing senior football for St. Albans as a 19 year old in the centre square against West Footscray. Robbie McGhie was their ruckman and captain. Yes, THE Robbie Mcghie. Holy shit. Today's game was a little 'friendlier'.
    *for now