Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  144
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 20 vs Geelong at GMHBA Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    McComb over McNeil and Cordy over Keath is highly unlikely to be the gap in the game. The game last time swung each qtr with the contested ball numbers, we were smashed early then evened them up and our runners got on top. Late in the game Geelong got back on top around the ball. Need to beat them in the phone box and have a plan to avoid the interceptors, that’s the game in my view.

Despite the ground being narrow we were able to get them on overlap when we lost to them there last year. Our runners will trouble them again if we win enough of the ball.
    Took the words right out of my mouth dog town. Not fussed with the changes. Happy Daniel is in so better team than last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised the love McNeil is getting.

Played ok last week with some defensive efforts, but typically offers little and doesn't impact. I'm fine with his omission, I just don't get the MC's obsession with McComb.
    W00F!

3. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth dog town. Not fussed with the changes. Happy Daniel is in so better team than last week.
    Treloar missing though. He has been good off half back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yeah exactly its so scientific these days they can map the gps data to ball position etc so maybe there was an issue.

I'm actually warming to McComb I think he's ok.
    He would have to be close to the worst kick I've ever seen in a bulldogs jumper.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

6. Likes Mantis, The Bulldogs Bite, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The decision to play Zaine Cordy as a defender is long overdue given the fact that both O’Brien and Keath allowed Cameron too much space in our recent defeat to Geelong.
    Cordy has proved his versatility in playing as a forward in our great win to take the 2016 flag and then to be used by Bevo on a number of occasions as a back up ruck man.
    Like his Father, Brian, he is a competitive defender and will give his all.
    I know you have a serious love affair with Cordy, but to say he's versatile by playing other roles is a fallacy. The GF was 6 years ago and since then when Zaine has been played in the forward & ruck role he's been extremely poor when doing so.... he was actually horrible in the GF, but hey, he's a premiership CHF.

He's a limited defender as he doesn't have the size & strength to play on bigger opponents or mobility for more agile players... but Bevo loves his ability to ''compete'' so here we are with him in again... hope he goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    He would have to be close to the worst kick I've ever seen in a bulldogs jumper.
    His skills are awful. Not sure why he hasn’t made it back to VFL. He had been sub a few times but not dropped.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Aside from the Dunkleys, I'm not sure I've seen a worse kick period.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I know you have a serious love affair with Cordy, but to say he's versatile by playing other roles is a fallacy. The GF was 6 years ago and since then when Zaine has been played in the forward & ruck role and has been extremely poor when doing so.

He's a limited defender as he doesn't have the size & strength to play on bigger opponents or mobility for more agile players... but Bevo loves his ability to ''compete'' so here we are with him in again... hope he goes well.
    I presume he picks up Cameron.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Says you.

You only need to look at the last Geelong game to see that none of us have any real idea or can agree on who was on Hawkins and who was on Cameron. We play a team defence that didn't stand up last time. Perhaps this time it might with the personnel we have selected.

Dropping Keath wouldn't have been a decision made lightly. For whatever reason it's happened, but it wouldn't have been done just for shits and giggles.
    I know they wouldn't have made the decision without method, but I really thought the bold part was a huge issue last time and probably what ended up costing us the game. The team defence left way too many different guys isolated on Cameron when really we only have one guy (Gardner) with the athleticism and size to deal with him. I really think ensuring we have dedicated match ups will be of more benefit than an intricate switching system, Geelong are just too dangerous to allow for concentration lapses like we saw last time. We know Gards' GPS numbers are fantastic and he should be able to work up the ground when Cameron does within reason, rather than a hand off to a Williams type that won't work anyway and creates an extra decision.

As for the other guy, my main issue with Keath's season has been his mobility - he still can run quick-ish in a straight line but his lateral movement has regressed badly. If there is one superstar key forward who will not punish that too badly it's Hawkins, who is typically a one-on-one grappler relying on his physical strength and apparent sui generis interpretation of the in the back rule. Cordy might have a better shuttle run score but this is not the week for us to *!*!*!*! around and find out.

Anyway. I just learnt that apparently Sam Darcy was one day old last time we won down at Goomba Stadium. All personnel changes are moot, this is not an achievable task.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Aside from the Dunkleys, I'm not sure I've seen a worse kick period.
    The actual ball leaves his boot beautifully but he can’t judge the distance and it either drops short or over the players head. Handballs are at players feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I presume he picks up Cameron.
    Wouldn't Gardner be a better match-up for Cameron? He's an athletic beast who can blunt Cameron's athletic prowess. Maybe Buku could as well? But he is very green and might get torched early on.

We take our chances with Cordy on Hawkins, with ample 3rd man up support from Buku/Hannan and the defensive wings/mids to clog the space inside D50.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

McComb going to run with someone? He's a bigger body and maybe that's the reason for the inclusion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    McComb going to run with someone? He's a bigger body and maybe that's the reason for the inclusion?
    He hasn't played a run with role thus far so it would be a stretch to do so.

Who would you suggest he runs with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He hasn't played a run with role thus far so it would be a stretch to do so.

Who would you suggest he runs with?
    I'm definitely clutching for some sort of reason for his inclusion.

Maybe he'll be a cooler on Selwood. Not really sure. I just find it hard to think of Robbie in the team with "win ball" his first objective... cause it's usually "win ball, give to opposition".

I kind of forget why Bevo cops it about selections at times. This week is a genuine surprise to me though! We have hardly any injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You only need to look at the last Geelong game to see that none of us have any real idea or can agree on who was on Hawkins and who was on Cameron. We play a team defence that didn't stand up last time. Perhaps this time it might with the personnel we have selected.
    Some interesting comments by Tom Boyd in the latest DannyBoyd podcast - they were interviewing Fletcher Roberts and said how they always played team defence except when they played Geelong and Fletch would just man up on Hawkins. (Fletch was then usually dropped a week or two straight after)

Is that what we are up to this week - ignore the team defence for the big Geelong forwards and match up one on one the whole time? Or are we potentially doing the exact opposite and Zaine and RG provide more mobility to cover off team defence better?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

20. Likes boydogs liked this post